1. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Foreword

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by cazann34, Oct 4, 2012.

I have been considering a foreword for my novel, my novel will be aim at early teens. I hope that the foreword will tantalise the reader enough to make them want to read the book. I plan to do this by suggesting that the reader, is the only one who is privy to a dark ancient secret that dates back to the medievil times, and he/she must keep this secret or jeopardise the safety of the world - cheesey I know but I plan to make this sound very real.

I have something written already where the reader is asked blantantly, if they want to know a secret, then if they are worthy to hear this secret and finally, can they keep a secet and if the answer is yes to all these questions, then they must take the solemn oath.

My question: am I using the foreword in the right context and if not what how should I title this piece. I also was wondering if the temptation of knowing a dark secret is enough to tempt the teenager reader or is it too childish for the age range?

2. Geri

Geri New Member

hey! Not sure about the 'correct' way to use the foreword, but I think it can be whatever you want. I think maybe it might be a little too childish for teenagers, perhaps pre-teens could be your market audience ? This is only my opinion!

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A foreword is written by someone other than the author. You may mean an introduction, if it is not a prologue.

If you want to engage the reader, skip all that crud and get right into the story

4. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

I think I'm probably thinking, Introduction but as I've said I am only considering it, as I'm not overly keen on prologues either I might give it amiss. All I want to do is suggest that some of the covert structure.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I think too many people use prologue, preamble, introduction, foreword, introduction, etc as if they were the same things. They aren't.

As to what you propose, I wouldn't unless you intend to 'include' the reader throughout the rest of the story in a like manner. Otherwise it just comes across as gimmicky.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just tell the blinkin' story!

if you have to explain it first, then the story's not working anyway...

7. A. G. Lucchesi

A. G. Lucchesi New Member

This is a bit of a difficult question for myself. I am not one who is against prologues or introductions or anything, when they are essential to the story and gives information that the reader needs to know. But honestly, if you're tacking it on just so that the reader will be interested in reading your book, I think you should focus more on revising the beginning of your story. I don't believe that it is a good idea to add anything to the beginning for the mere fact that: "Maybe this will make someone read my book." If your book is written well and your story is compelling, then that's great, but if your beginning is dry and bland then if I were you I would shift your attention to that--I would only add anything like an introduction if A, it is essential to the story, or B, your novel begins better at a different point than what you originally started with.

8. Wolfwig

Wolfwig New Member

Addressing the reader directly also implies an active roll for the author or narrator in the story. Sounds like an invitation to participate. So, I, as a reader, would expect further interaction, which could be distracting. Then, again, a clever construction could bring about a pleasant result. Don't can the idea because it's atypical; just beware that not all readers will have the imagination to go along with what you propose.

9. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

It says it all....

10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Letting that unfold in the reader's mind will make for a stronger and more engaging story, I think.

11. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

A question for pre-teens and early teens

I asked this question awhile ago and got some very good feedback but my thoughts keep coming back to it. I now know it is an introduction is what I was hinting at. One comment said: just start the story - and I have given this advice much thought but have come to the conclusion that the 'introduction' is part of the story. I'm posting the piece below. I must mention, this story is aimed at 11-13's (the Mc is 12 soon to be 13)

Should I use this for an introduction or just start with chapter one? An excerpt of chapter can be found on this site, its called Friarswood.

I welcome all suggestions.

EDIT: [​IMG] Originally Posted by shadowwalker [​IMG]As to what you propose, I wouldn't unless you intend to 'include' the reader throughout the rest of the story in a like manner.

The introduction is directed at the reader and I do plan to address the reader from time to time. But I am a little concerned: would this confuse the age group I am aiming this at?

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this is the wrong place to post material for review... you need to ask a mod to move it to the workshop...