1. amandai1307

amandai1307 New Member

Question about copyright rule

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by amandai1307, Aug 6, 2007.

I was hoping someone could answer my question. It may seem silly,but I am new to both writing and forums. In the rules it says:

You must own the copyright to all work claimed your own.

What does this mean? How do you copyright your work if it hasn't been published? Also, how do you prove that you own the copyright to your work?

Could someone please clarify this for me?
    Thanks,
    Amanda

2. Raven

Raven Banned

Good Question.

You may post up your own work short stories and poetry and Lyrics. But we advise with Novels you only post up sections unless fan fiction (Fan Fiction is a story you write regarding another topic that has already been created eg Star Wars Harry Potter Warhammer 40,000) Now your own work its best you have some copyright over your novels because if someone else see's it they may attempt to pinch it. However so far in the time this forum has been active that has not happened. But then most of the members are honest here.

As for copyrighting your work you'll have to look into that yourself its different for everyone.

if you want to post up your writing Novel stuff I suggest a few chapters. Same with screen writing screen plays.

In hope that helps a little. Any other questions please feel free to Email me or send me a PM.

~Raven.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as soon as you write it, your work is automatically copyrighted in the us and many other countries [signatories to the berne convention, i believe]:

it's always best to go to the source for accurate info:

U.S. Copyright Office - Frequently Asked Questions

British Copyright Council

wouldn't this be good info to keep as a sticky, raven?

love and hugs, maia

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Indeed it would. We could throw it in with the noobie packets.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As mammamaia points out, when you create a work (in the USA at least), you are automatically thge copyright owner. However, *proving* ownership is another matter. Registering your work is the best guarantee if you need to prove ownership. This can occur when you discover your work published under someone else's name, but it can also occur if someone else steals your work and tries to force you to yield your rights.

It does happen.

6. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

For that link, and another I saw about the proper formatting, we can throw it in here...assuming you can re-open threads...seeing as how that was already made for the links Torana and I were giving to the site. Not to mention, there already is a link to that reference in the Noobie Packet.

7. Cogito

Thank you, adamant, I have added those links to the Ligers and Unicorns and Links! Oh my! post.

8. Raven

Raven Banned

I have decided your suggestion is a good idea so there for I have made a sticky of copyright.

9. amandai1307

amandai1307 New Member

Thank You

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. It has been very helpful. Have a wonderful day, all of you!

Thanks,
    Amanda

10. Raven

Raven Banned

Thats what we're here for :);)

And you too.

11. mammamaia

glad it was helpful... as a bit of an addendum to cog's info on registering, there are two places to do that in the us:

U.S. Copyright Office [library of congress]
    and
    Writers Guild of America, West ; WGAE [east and west coast branches of writers guild of america]

the first is government, the second is the writers union...

anyone anywhere can register their existing copyright with the loc [for a fee, of course], but it won't necessarily hold up in any but an american court, if you have to sue or are sued over ownership... most pros don't bother registering their work there, as their publishers will do that... and it's a rare occurrence for anyone to steal an entire book ms and claim it as their own...

and it's too costly to do it for anything other than books or book-sized collections of short stories or poetry... screenplays are another thing and some register them with loc instead of or in addition to wgaw...

anyone anywhere can register and archive their work with wga... stage plays, song lyrics, poetry and books are usually registered with the NY branch and tv/film scripts with the LA one, as those are the respective hubs of the publishing/entertainment universes... it's a bit cheaper and much quicker/easier than loc but doesn't last as long...

check out the sites for details...

m

12. Cogito

Thanks, mamma. I've added these links to our Writing Resources Links thread.

13. mammamaia

hey, what happened to your picture?... i liked the real deal much better than this orange crusher thingy... hugs, m