1. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

ORB OF PYRITUS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Feb 3, 2012.

Here's where we will post Profiles and discuss the game. Good luck in your quest!

OK, that was the wierdest thing ever. One innocuous line of text broke the page everytime I tried to post the game. I had to re-write it twice to get it to post...

I'll get the first post up to start things soon. Feel free to discuss the game and ask questions in the meantime. :)

2. losthawken

Character Profile: Magnalian the Summoner

Name: Magnalian the Summoner

Appearance: Magnalian is an aged human wizard. He wears a dark red robe with runes embroidered in gold on its borders. His short beard is dark grey, and his eyes of golden.

Personality: A power hungry sociopath, Magnalian seeks only his own power and might. Possession of lands and lives are important only if they are a means to strengthening his power. He works alone, refusing to share his glory although he does employ servants to do his bidding.

History: Magnalian is the creator of the Orb of Pyritus. He forged it to enhance his own powers but unexpectedly opened the portals that will lead others on their quests for the Orb.

Powers/Equiptment: As a summoner Magnalian summons creatures and servants from other dimensions to do his fighting for him. To summon them these creatures must first be found and preparations made while Magnalian in entranced in the dreamscape. Sentient creatures are persuaded to his bidding on the promise of return to their homes, while the more savage creatures are frequently turned loose to rampage where they will. Magnalian also possesses many powers of his own including the summoning of energy directly from the multi-verse and teleporting himself within his own home world.

3. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

Character Template: Igor

Name: Igor

Appearance: Mysterious-looking man, wears a formal black suit with a white shirt underneath. Contrasting with his formal clothes he has a medium-sized messy black hair which most of the time covers his eyes lightly. Physically he's a bit thin, but not "skinny" and he has an average height. His eyes are light green, nearly white, but not only does his hair cover them most of the time, he rarely opens them.

Personality: Quiet, bitter, egocentric, doesn't answer to no-one.

History: He came out of a portal that portrayed a world made out of complete oblivion. It might be that he led the planet to that end himself or that it's just how his home-planet looks like through the portal.

Powers/Equipment: Will be revealed later! (Hope that's ok, I wanted to keep things interesting!)

4. losthawken

This whole thing is a little experimental. I say lets give it a try. Bring it on rapaz!

5. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Riley Burstion

Name: Riley Burstion

Appearance: Riley is a human of average height with a lean, athletic build. His blond hair is cut at medium length and usually fashioned into a fauxhawk - one of the few things he has left to remember of his birthplace on Earth. His most distinguishing feature is his bright red eyes, and he wears lightweight plate armor made from a black, steel-like metal found in his home kingdom of Driath.

Personality: Almost always seen with a mischievous smirk on his face, Riley is a joker born and raised. Although he is more mature now than in his early years, he still loves a good practical joke. This cheerful, childish appearance can disappear in a second, however. If the situation calls for it, Riley turns into a calm, calculated warrior. He is determined and will not back down from a fight, especially if the people he cares about are at risk. In fact, in certain situations, his ferocity and anger will reach such an extent that he will almost be blinded by this rage. This is a very rare event, but more common after the events that took place three years ago in Driath.

History: Riley was born in Seattle, Washington, where he was raised by his mother and father. He had a loving older brother that he looked up to. In high school he became friends with Nick Silvonia, who soon became his best friend. When they were both around sixteen years old, they were transported to the kingdom of Driath, located in a dimension existing parallel to ours. There he and Nick fought in and won a war against a bitter, vengeful tyrant who wished to usurp the throne of Driath. During their training, Riley was lost and thought to be dead. It was later discovered that he had betrayed the true king of Driath and joined the tyrant, only to gain power. In the midst of the final battle, however, Riley realized the error of his ways and rejected the usurper, actually helping to destroy the tyrant's most powerful weapon. After many losses, both physical and emotional, the country recovered from the violence that had raged for years. Nick was now the new king of Driath. Riley, finding himself bored with politics and the running of a country, declined Nick's offer of a place as his highest councilor, and instead set of to explore lands still unknown to the people of Driath.

Powers/Equipment: Of the many trials faced during the war in Driath, Riley perhaps encounter the most difficult to overcome. Upon betraying his friends and joining the side of the tyrant for bitter, selfish reasons, he spent an hour held within the usurper's fortress, being possessed and tested by the most powerful entity in Driath at the time: a powerful, demonic spirit, centuries old. This creature served the usurper and sought to make Riley stronger, better to serve their cause. Through this experience, the teenager gained the ability to manipulate and produce fire at will. He is often reluctant to use this skill to harm others, tortured by memories of his treachery, but will make use of it if needed. Riley is also an excellent swordsman and wields a bastard sword made from the same metal as his armor. After the triumph of the Driathians in the war, he was informed by the former king's steward that there were more than likely other side effects of the demon's meddling. These have not been discovered yet, but may appear at a moment's notice.

Wow. Did I write too much?

I was actually torn between two characters from my various stories: Riley, and a risen demon that I wrote sophomore year in my Creative Writing Advanced class. Maybe if I find myself bored with Riley later on, I'll substitute him for my other character - if we can find a way to pull that off.

6. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

This game sounds like something I wanted to try based off an Anime. Except, in mine people were going to have to play a mythological/historical character, i.e. Hercules, Medusa, King Arthur, etc, to obtain the 'Holy Grail', which lets them have any wish they want. I like the combat system you've created Hawken, that's what I was trying to work out for mine.

One question though, when characters obtain the orb and go back to their world, does that mean their story is finished?

I will make a character! :)

7. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

OMG it's another Magnan (ok so not a whole Magnan but he has the name of a Magnan), funny that. My Magnan race is based moreorless off humans. haha.

Name: Drake, Magnafire

Appearance: A tall, average built man, his short brown hair, is thin and flat.

Personality: Confident, stubborn and he is at times overconfident, but his ambition is unquestionable, along with his loyalty

History: His life truly began when he began the Trial of Intent in the remnants of the Celestial Desert, and forged the Bound sword Blade Edge, it is an ancient tradition among the Magnan race of humans, whoses ancestors were blessed with the power and ability to forge spiritually linked blades. Whilst time has suppressed this power, Drake realised it, as he expressed his anger and frustration at being proclaimed the next First Edge of the Edge Legion. It hardened him inside, and although he has grown use to Blade Edge, he is constantly reminded of his destiny. His inevitable fall. Since the fall of the Black Dragon Empire, Magnafire's outcast group of troops (Burnt) have travelled around the land, even becoming unwittingly caught up in the Panthos Rebellion. Following this he went alone, allowing himself to understand himself and the spiritual link he holds with Blade Edge

Powers/Equiptment: Magnafire controls and creates fire, manipulating into different forms. As a servant of the Black Dragon he has the power known as the Dragons Breath that unleashes a large burst of flames, that can cause a lot of area damage. Of course such an ability requires a day or more to recharge. He wields the spiritually linked sentient sword Blade Edge.

I would normally have picked someone else but I want to test out Magnafire's relationship with his sword, and improve upon this character in particular.

8. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

Backbiter I'm confused. Maybe I just misread but you first say that your character fought with his friend to end the tyrant's reign and then you say that he betrayed his friends to join the tyrant.

9. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Thank you for pointing that out; I went back and clarified. He betrayed them due to a selfish desire for power, but ultimately repented for his actions and rejoined the forces fighting against the tyrant. The memory and guilt of his betrayal still haunt him, though.

10. losthawken

Wow, this looks like its taking off!

FM, after the character gets warped back to their home world they will still possess the Orb. The idea is not to end their story but to start a new chapter. All the pursuers will have to regroup (good opportunity for joining forces) and find new portals to the Orb and the current holder.

And Magnan, working out characters is exactly what this game is for!

11. Forgotten_Memories

Ahh, so we're constantly chasing each other for the orb? That's interesting! Does anyone start off with it, or do we have to find it to begin with?

And what world are we starting in? Our world? As in, the real world... haha!

12. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

I agree we should have some more info on this world. Should we just imagine it similar to earth? Different weather and landscapes around the entire globe?

13. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

So the Magnan is accepted, I think I know how Magnafire might mistake Magnalian for, the emperor of White Tallon, Magnallion and enemy of the Black Dragon... anyways would it be ok for Magnafire be on his personal pilgrimage through the history of his ancestory. He will start in the ancient church/temple/fort Drax. A former symbol of both the Edge and Serpentine Empires, afterall he wants to learn about his family legacy and the original first edge.

Also can I post now.

14. losthawken

Great questions, and your right FM: The point is to have a constantly moving game of 'catch the Orb'. Magnalian just created the Orb, and is trying to find the portals and close them so that he can keep it for himself.

I wasn't quite sure how to express it in the rules, but this is a low commitment game for me too. In fact I don't plan on keeping Magnalian around forever and will let you all continue the fight while I just keep things moving and fair.

As a part of that, I am not going to explicitly write the settings. It will be a team effort by all of us. This will not only give me more time to Mod and run my other games, but also give you the ability to 'dues ex machina' things from the environment (within reason). So far, the current setting is a feudal farming landscape. You can take it from there.

Magnan, I don't know what you are talking about, but your character should be from a separate world from Magnalian. It is fine though if he mistakes him for someone else.

And yes you can post.

15. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

What I meant is if, Magnafire heres the Summoners name, Sorry failed to clarify that.

16. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Character Profile: Grudel (Sorcerer)

Name: Grudel

Appearance: Grudel is an elderly looking sorcerer. His face shows much age with white bushy eyebrows, and a large tangled beard. One of his eyes is milky and gives an unsettling stare. His mouth shows signs of much tooth decay with only a few good teeth left, and the rest only being his gums. He wears a large dark blue robe that covers the rest of his body. The only other visible part of his body is his hands which have large bony fingers with untrimmed fingernails.

Personality: Although he appears to be an old hermit, he’s actually a quite chipper man. He has a high pitched creaky voice that has a bit of rhythm to it when he talks. He is hardly ever serious and tends to make wisecracks frequently.

History: Not much is known about him other than that he lived out in the forests of the land of G’rear. He lived in a small shack, making herbs and remedies using his magic. The villagers of Bokkul have been trying to hunt him down for years so they could burn him at the stake.

Powers/Equipment: He can use his magic to manipulate all four elements of water, earth, fire, and air. He also carries a wooden staff with him, but it’s nothing more than a walking stick.

17. Forgotten_Memories

Haha... I'm having trouble coming up with a character who isn't arrogant or power-hungry!

18. losthawken

Due to the large number of players already, I decided to invoke some non-payer characters for you all to fight before you get to Magnalian. Its up to you whatever evil magic hungry creatures came out of the smoke and you can control them, but they will be at the portals (or on their way) when you enter the game. Feel free to introduce your character with a nice battle against nasty creatures. Also, feel free to have your characters meet up and interact (fight or work together).

19. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Well, I guess I'll give this a try! This is my character. He's a little bit different from the ones already here. ;)

Name: Corporal James Farmer (Call-sign: Atlas)

Appearance: Atlas is large for human standards, taller and stronger than most of his peers. He sports a buzz cut and a fine layer of facial hair. His tanned, rough skin shows his familiarity in the field of battle. On duty, he is usually found in his desert camouflage field uniform, along with his standard issue body-armour and combat helmet.

Personality: Atlas is stubborn, hardy, and unquestionably courageous. However, he is also a little too demanding and strict at times. These traits tend to alienate him from the regular life back at home, but make him quite the natural leader in the midst of battle.

History: James was born in the city of Detroit, U.S.A. Not too long afterwards, he moved with his father down to Washington, where Atlas developed his dreams of joining the army. With his father’s support, James joined the army as soon as he finished school, and was deployed in multiple tours to both Afghanistan and Iraq. During his military career, he earned a call-sign “Atlas”, which quickly became his nickname. Currently, Atlas is getting ready to finish another tour in Afghanistan. Or so he thinks.

Powers/Equipment: Quite evidently, the world Atlas comes from lacks magical powers. Nevertheless, Atlas has seen combat enough times to know what it is like, no matter the weapons. He carries with him a standard issue M-4 Rifle, a pack of M67 HAGs, and an M1911 handgun. Additionally, he is never found without his Mark 2 combat knife.

20. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

Cheddar how is he on his last mission when he's just 25 years old? I don't know much about the army and I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm sincerely curious to know.

And yeah so far so good, I'm pretty excited about this.

21. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

By "his last tour" I only meant for the moment. Many soldiers take multiple tours at a time, then break off for regular training, or rest and recuperation. I guess I should have made that clear, but I thought that would have broken the fluidity of the storytelling.

Additionally, if I make any military mistakes, I'm sorry. I actually have no experience in the army at all; all of the information I know comes from my older cousin (who is actually going to be deployed soon), or the internet.

22. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Also, I guess I should have asked before I posted, but are curse words allowed? My character seems to be the type to mouth off at times. Currently I just have it stated as "he swore", but just for later reference.

23. losthawken

Whoa, great going guys! All these posts are great! I may be able to get another post off later tonight to add to Rapaz's post. In the meantime keep up the good work!

And Cheddar, for the self-proclaimed newb' that was a very good first post!

24. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

I hope you do. I kind of wanted to continue the fight but I decided to wait and see if anyone hopped in. :p

25. losthawken

I'll try; its been a busy day. But if anyone wants to beat me to it feel free!