1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

New Style and Blogs

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Sep 8, 2007.

Well, they're finally here. We now have a new style and user blogs, both of which have been long awaited.

The Style

Many of you have requested a new style for quite some time, so I hope this does it justice. If you'd prefer the older theme, that can still be accessed through your usercp.

The general design of the site has changed drastically, particularly in the area of the logo, navigation, icons and the sidebar. The navigation is basically the same, but it is more clean and easier to navigate. One major addition regarding the look of the side is the sidebar. This feature is currently only visible on the homepage. It's located to the right when you view the homepage. On this sidebar you'll find lots of important information, included important links, recent reviews, recent replies, recent blog posts, current open contests, a "featured" book, as well as more things to come.

In the important links section of this you'll find links to posts within our site that detail the rules of the site, reviewing guides, contact information, and more. The recent reviews section lists the stories and poetry that have most recently received a review or comment. Like the recent reviews, recent replies and recent blog posts are pretty self-explanatory. The recent replies display the threads that were replied to most recent, and the recent blog posts display the most recent blog posts. On the open contest section you'll find links to all our major open contests, as well as our weekly writing ones. Any "featured" book you find listed there will simply be recommended reading.

User Blogs

All users will now have a free blog on writingforums.org. The use and topic of these Blogs are completely optional; if you choose not to use it, that's perfectly fine. However, if you do decide to use this new feature, you can write about any topic you'd like, or multiple topics. However, it is suggested that the majority of blog posts be writing-related - though it is, by no means, mandatory.

To view the blog portal, click here. On that page you will find the most recent blogs, as well as a link to your own blogging control panel.

On the left you will see a link to your blog control panel. If you select that you can change your settings, add categories, and more. In the next day or two I'll write a brief tutorial explaining many of the features.

2. Daniel

Also, I'm bound to have made mistakes in setting up these features. If you find anything please let me know.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Wow, this looks pretty snazzy. I'm liking the first impression. I'll let you know if I find any problems around the place. And I'll take a look at the blogs now :)

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

ermm, mine hasn't changed :(

5. Daniel

It should have changed automatically.

If yours hasn't, go to your user cp and select "edit options." At the bottom you'll find the style settings. If it's on the default it should have changed. If not, change it to the default. If it still hasn't changed, select "Writing Forums v2" in the drop-down menu.

6. Heather Louise

okii dokii, I'll try, thanks

7. Heather Louise

is it meant ot be like a blue and white colours?? if it is it looks good, i am gunna try it out for a few days. :)
    Heather

8. Heather Louise

sorry, being stupid again but the defualt and the v2 are different from each other. i prefer the default me thinks, lol. both good though :)

9. Banzai

I'm not sure if this is your end or mine, Daniel, but I have an unsightly rectangular block in the top right corner, which says "internet explorer cannot display the page" or some other such rubbish, and it's obstructing some of the navigation buttons...

And also, above the quick reply box, the links for previous and next thread are almost the exact same colour as the background. I don't use them, but others might, and it might be a problem.

10. Heather Louise

yea, on it i had the same with the V2 one. i am using the other now though so it don't bother me, lol

11. Banzai

Erm...this is gonna sound dumb... How do I comment on blogs? :redface:

12. Heather Louise

ermm, is there somewhere that says underneath "comment on this blog"?

13. Heather Louise

ii just looked, it should have a comment box underneath the blog that you are reading, like your normal post box.

14. Banzai

Erm... Nope :redface: (For the record, heather, it's yours I'm trying to comment on).

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I am getting the same rectangular white block, obscuring my PM notifications area. The is a scripting error indicated, and when I click on it, I see:

Line: 5
    Char: 328
    Error: 'undefined' is null or not an object
    Code: 0
    URL: https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=5523

Note, it's only on the forum index page. I think it's a flaoting banner for the new writing contest - I see the text beginning with "Hey you!" in the header area, but then that text vanishes and the white rectagle appears.

Hopefully this will help you debug the problem.

16. Heather Louise

well, go on the default one, or the greeny one 'cos when you do it shows a post box underneath the blog entry. you click read more then it should be there. and cool, i might have a comment :p

17. Banzai

I've tried in all of the display modes. Still no comment box:(

18. Heather Louise

well then i cannot help ya chick, sorry. you'll have to ask Daniel when he's next online.

19. Banzai

Yeah, I guess :( I feel deprived :p

20. Cogito

The Comments title bar in the Blog View More display is dark letters on a dark background, very hard to see on my monitor.

21. Banzai

Curiously enough, the box seems to be there for me to comment on my own blog, but not on anyone elses... The plot thickens...

22. Cogito

The image over the Comment button appears to be broken (in the Blogs - View More screen for a user who is not yourself) If you hover over it, the Comment label appears, but without the hover it is nigh invisible

To be precise, I am referring to the dark blue title bar at the bottom of the list of comments, at the leftmost end. I see a sunken button outline there containig th edreaded white box with a red X, and if I hover the mouse cursor inside the button frame, I can see the Comments label as it turns red from the hover action.

23. Raven

Raven Banned

Can't say I have that problem.

24. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

i'm sort of having the same problem

25. Banzai

Which one, Rachel?