General Forum and Forum Posting Rules
- All posts must be free of illegal or distasteful content, which includes pornography and nudity, hate speech, posting of copyrighted material, spamming the forum, bumping threads, or flaming/trolling.
- No advertisements may be posted, including the use of signature links for advertising, and including "free" products. Recruitment for external projects, other sites, publishing opportunities, or writing services are also considered prohibited advertising. Accounts created for advertising purposes will be permanently banned. You may contact email@example.com for information on paid advertising.
- School assignments, contest submissions, or other work that is intended to reflect your individual effort must be clearly identified as such. We will not do your work for you, and assistance will be limited.
- Thread bumping is not allowed. (appending posts to bring a thread to the top or to get it more attention)
- All posts must be in English.
- This is a writing forum. Occasional use of common net abbreviations is tolerated, but excessive use of netspeak is discouraged. As a writing community, please try to keep posts high in quality.
- All rules apply throughout the site, PMs and blogs included.
- Users may only have one account unless requested and approved by the forum administration.
Posting Copyrighted Material/Copyright Infringement
- Posting material that is not yours and claiming it as your own is considered copyright infringement. No warning will be given if such a situation arises. You will be banned permanently.
- Small sections of copyrighted material may be posted when you cite the original author or when it is used with the authors permission.
Posting Your Writing
- You must own the copyright to all work claimed your own.
- All stories, poems, or other writing offered for comment must be posted in the Writing Workshop.
- If your writing contains adult language, sexual behavior, or violent, it must be marked/categorized as such.
- Enclosures, links, and images are not acceptable. The work to be reviewed, and all critiques, must be posted directly, without any supplementary materials.
- Posting in the Writing Workshop requires 2 or more constructive critiques of other members' work for each new posted work.
- You must be registered for at least 14 days and have made 20 posts before you can create a thread in our workshops.
- Only your own writing may be posted in the Writing Workshop.
- By posting, you are granting limited use. Specifically, retention or removal of that piece of writing from the site is solely at the discretion of the site administration team, and members may quote the submission in full or in part for the purpose of critique within that thread.
- Please do not spread stories and articles across multiple threads, including blog threads. If a story won't fit in the initial post, subsequent pieces should be posted as repiles to the original post.
- Avatars may not contain pornographic or distasteful images.
- Images are not allowed in signatures.
- You can include two external links and unlimited links to pages within our site. Links cannot be to sites that contain pornographic or illegal material.
- Links for commercial or promotional purposes are prohibited.
- Personal non-commercial sites, such as your personal blog, are allowed.
- Links may be removed without notice if deemed inappropriate.
- Please limit signature real estate. "Billboard" signatures may be edited or removed without notice.
- Signatures may also not contain text with sexual connotations, racial slurs, vulgarity, or content intended to upset a specific member.
Free Speech Policy
Since we are a writing forum, WritingForums.org is highly in favor of free speech and strongly opposed to censorship. The exceptions are situations where content may harm the quality or well-being of the community, which would include situations in the rules above.
Rule violations will be punished by infractions. Each violation has a different level of infraction points. Once you receive 10 infraction points you will be banned. First time banning will be 30 days, followed by 90 days, followed by a permanent ban.
Breaking of any of these rules is a breech of your agreement. We reserve the right to ban or terminate any user at any time for any reason. Penalties will vary based on the severity of the situation.