1. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

12 Drafts

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by cazann34, May 11, 2013.

I have read recently that any work sent to a publisher should be given twelve drafts before it is submitted. And each draft should concentrate on one aspect of the writing. Apart from the obvious: sentence structure, plot, dialogue, word choice, grammar, spelling, tenses, etc., does anyone know what the others could be?

Unfortunately the article didn't elaborate on what the other seven were.
    I have been googling and searching online for the answer but I keep seeing the same answers cropping up (the one's I have mentioned above) Could anyone help identify what the others are?

2. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

I think the idea of editing a piece several times and focussing particularly on a different aspect each time is a sound one. Quite where the number twelve came from I have no idea. I wouldn't take it at absolute face value - do as many edits as the piece needs, not a set number chosen from an article on the internet.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that...

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

This is hokum. Nonsense. In a word, bullshit. Whoever wrote that article was just looking for a quick buck, and figured that sounding like a writing expert was a good way of getting one.

I'm starting to think that some of these articles and books on writing are written to scare people away from writing so there's less competition. If you tell someone they can't submit a piece until they've written twelve drafts, you're making it sound like more work than it has to be.

Articles like this are not helpful.

This. I agree with this.

5. Nee

Nee Contributing Member

I've notice that the five or six scenes that really matter usually end-up being edited/revised a few more times than that. 'Course, at the same time there are many scenes that are fine after only a few revisions: so, I believe the point is to convince the new writer to get it through their heads that you really shouldn't submit anything for publication that has not been repeatedly, gone over with a fine tooth comb.