Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

12th Amendment Presidency

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Mar 1, 2016.

This is academic because it is so unlikely, but a professor from Yale was discussing it on the radio this morning in the context of Bloomberg, or some other third party candidate, getting enough votes that neither the Dem or GOP candidate gets the 270 electoral votes to be President.

Basically, the House of Representatives would choose the President and the Senate would choose a vice President. That would be a circus. Here's the text of the amendment:

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Good stuff. I remember learning about this in middle school. Unfortunately, this election is pretty depressing so far, but that's for another thread.

3. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributing Member Contributor

It's super unlikely, but the same was said of many other things that have happened in this cycle. There have been reports that the Republican establishment might put up a third party candidate as an alternative if Trump wins the nomination. With Hillary looking like she'll take the nomination on the Democratic side, I doubt Bloomberg will get in, since it could hurt her base. Certainly something to consider, though.

4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

And if my grandmother has wheels, she'd be a wagon.

5. MichaelP

MichaelP Active Member

Our leaders cherry pick the Constitution, you silly goose. Ron Paul was the last guy who believed in the entire Constitution, and he was labeled an "extremist."

Witchymama likes this.
  6. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Actually Ted Cruz is VERY strict to the Constitution. In fact, he is known as a Strict Constitutionalist.

7. Steerpike

@Lewdog

Cruz says that, but he's not particularly good on the 4th Amendment (nor parts of the First, I suspect).

8. Lewdog

It isn't really a label that Cruz put on himself. He got it when he was in law school at Harvard. Cruz was even known in college as his old law professor puts it, as an "originalist." That Cruz believes in the Constitution being interpreted by the way the original framers of the Constitution meaning it. Here is an article that talks about that, and the fact that if you take Cruz at his own word, he shouldn't be eligible to become President.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/1/21/laurence-tribe-cruz-presidency/

9. MichaelP

MichaelP Active Member

1.) Many politicians, especially on the left, ignore the Preamble. For those who don't know, the Preamble of the Constitution states *why* we have a Bill of Rights--namely, to protect the people against the federal government.

2.) Article 1, Section 8.

Yeah.

3.) Does Ted Cruz believe in the Fifth Amendment? If you're arrested, you don't have to answer one damn question from the cops.

4.) Police are trained on how to evade your Fourth Amendment right. According to the Fourth Amendment, you are under *no obligation* to let an authority figure search your car or your home. (If they ask, you can tell them to go to hell and there's not a thing they can do.) They can't even aim their flashlight into your car's back windows without permission or a search warrant.

5.) Article 6. No religious test may be given for an individual to hold public office. Will a President Cruz do anything about those eight states that outlaw atheists from public office? Will the Evangelicals get behind him on that?

6.) First Amendment rights don't apply on private property. Yep. It's true.

7.) 6th Amendment. Bush and Obama seem to forget this exists.

10. Steerpike

He might have had that label in college, I'm just saying it doesn't always hold up inbhis actual political life.

11. Lewdog

Now let me be clear, I'm not a Ted Cruz supporter, I was just replying to the notion that Ron Paul was the last guy that believed in strict adherence to the Constitution.

As for Federal government being hands-off? Most Republicans believe in limited Federal government. Watch this clip by Ronald Reagan:

12. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributing Member

An acquaintance of mine on the right, who is very anti-Trump, is actually hoping for this possibility. He wants Mitt Romney to jump in if Trump wins the nomination, then they and Hillary split the electoral college three ways, and send it to the House (which will presumably pick Romney).

What he doesn't realize, of course, is that Trump and any other right-wing independent will be competing within the same states. It's not like they'll say "Okay, Trump can have Montana, give Romney Wyoming" etc. So what will end up happening is that they'll split the right-wing vote in every state, giving Hillary a 400+ EV landslide (although she'll win many of her states with only a plurality).

Honestly, the only chance for this not to be a Trump-Hillary match-up is if the Republicans can slow down Trump enough to force a floor fight at the convention, and then somehow nominate someone with fewer delegates than he. Of course in that case, Trump becomes the independent, and the scenario I described above plays out again, and Hillary still wins 400+ EVs.

Basically it's hard to see how any Republican, or conservative Republican-cum-independent, stands a snowball's chance in perdition at winning the presidency this year.

13. Lewdog

That's just it, the Republican Party is just going to have to suck it up and support whomever wins the primaries otherwise they risk splitting votes and allowing Hillary to win, which would be the ultimate loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.