1. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

13 year-old girl already has 2 published books

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ben414, Sep 9, 2014.

I just heard a radio program interview with a 13 year-old published author in eighth grade. She has published two books of a trilogy with the third a wip. If you want some inspiration or just want to learn more:

http://www.wpr.org/people/emily-rawn

2. Poet of Gore

Poet of Gore Member

she's a witch!

3. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

There will always be anomalies.

Edit: Ok, looks like they were self published. That changes everything.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

I was typing in Emily Rawn when Emily Ratajkowski appeared on my Google, and that was the end of my search.

Garball likes this.
  5. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Contributing Member

Yes, but are they any good? That's the question on everyone's lips.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

13 year old and self published. I'm going to be a total book snob here and guess no. But strange things can happen, she could be some amazing genius who wants to gain all the rewards of her wonderful work of art - not likely.

Mckk likes this.
  7. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Contributing Member

I think I read about this awhile ago actually (or something similar). From what I remember the girl told her mother she was writing a book and then a few months later that it was already published and it was indeed available online. Since it looked like the girl's mother hadn't read the books I immediately wondered if she showed anyone before self publishing (and hence what level of editing she went through) and it made me question the credibility of the whole thing. Maybe I'm being negative and I'm sure there are worse self published books on the internet but without more information or an excerpt these are the conclusions I'm drawing.

8. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Contributing Member

Or she could have written Twilight. It certainly has the perspective of a 13yr old about it.

9. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, ignoring the slightly poor cover (but not terrible), the writing isn't half bad actually. Sure, there're rookie mistakes (like not splitting dialogue into new paragraphs) and some basic show/telling mistakes, but this girl writes better than I did at the same age.

Here's the Amazon link to her book, The Spirit Realm.

I read the entire prologue - it was not difficult to get through and though I smiled at a few mistakes, they weren't cringe-worthy by any means. I must say, I'm kinda intrigued by the story after the prologue.

And the beginning of chapter 1 is quite charming, actually. It certainly reminds me of how professionally-published books written by adults might look.

This girl definitely has talent.

10. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Just read the prologue and Ch 1, the kid almost has something Roald Dahl about her writing. I love it! She is obviously very talented, I hope that talent brings her much success and happiness in the future. :)

11. Lemex

Thanks for posting that @Mckk.

That isn't actually too bad, I'm very impressed. As you say, there are many rookie mistakes, but the girl is 13 - how many of us were writing that well at that age?

She has a clear eye for a scene, but maybe not a clear eye for detail. She is also funny at times in the narration too, and 'class stupid' shows a good level of sophistication in her style actually - that's a really good phrase.

I can tell it was a first novel, and the author was young, but really, 13? That's knocked me sideways.

Mckk likes this.
  12. Empty Bird

Empty Bird Member

I quite liked the sound of the blurb! I haven't read her writing, so I can' say anything about it, but perhaps there shouldn't be so much emphasis put on her age...

It'd be great if we could read the book and think: "WOW! That was great!" and then look at the author's bigoraphy and be like: "She was only thirteen? That's incredible!" Talent is ageless, after all.

It's a shame, but sometimes (not this girl, I'm just generally saying) that people can use age as a factor to success. But anywho, good on her!! I hope she goes on to keep writing in the future.

13. Lemex

@Empty Bird, Mckk posted a link to one of the books Amazon page, just click free view to get the first couple of pages. It's actually not bad at all, for someone of her age it's pretty darn good.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  14. Empty Bird

Empty Bird Member

Awesome! Thanks, I'll take a look. :)

15. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Contributing Member

Wow :) It's a lot better than I expected, good on her. She's really talented for her age. I doubt I was writing half that well (let alone actually having the dedication to actually stick to a project) at 15 let alone 13.

16. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

What impresses me about the girl's story is that it seems original. It uses the 'special powers' trope which is so popular just now, but she doesn't seem to be copying anybody else. I'm impressed by that.

She does need to learn her craft, and I think 'publishing' this without a better edit was probably not a great idea (except for the publicity of course—and that's down to her age, not the product itself.) But she's definitely got the storyteller's gene. She's foreshadowing VERY well, and creating interesting characters, both major and minor.

She's got talent. No doubt about it. I just hope she doesn't blow it by publishing everything she writes without learning more about how to improve it. The novelty value of being a 13-year-old author will wear thin as she gets older.

ChickenFreak and Mckk like this.
  17. Trish

Trish I've been deleted.. again Contributor

I know you weren't talking about her specifically, but she has no author page on Amazon and I don't see anything where her age was mentioned. If I hadn't already known from this post - I wouldn't know. So she's hardly capitalizing on it, which I think is fantastic.

And I agree with everyone else, that the premise is interesting and the writing not bad, considering.

18. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

I love the Mrs. Grey character. Well done.

19. jannert

A couple of the reviewers mentioned 'young author' so I suspect she's had publicity about this elsewhere—maybe on TV or in magazine or newspaper reviews. Or maybe it's mentioned on the book cover or blurb. Just one example: http://www.wqow.com/story/25312736/2014/04/22/local-author-pens-first-book-in-trilogy-before-13th-birthday

20. Trish

Ah... I stand corrected, lol. I was going by the author page. Of course I still don't think we can know if it's actually her doing it or her parents, but the result is the same.

Thanks for pointing it out :)

jannert likes this.
  21. jannert

It takes nothing away from her accomplishment, and I do hope this is a slingshot into a career as a writer, if that's what she wants for her life. I think she has a lot of talent. But she does need to be aware that the 'prodigy' syndrome can be a stumbling block, if it's merely her age and not her product that gets her the attention. Her story is not bad, but if it had been written by a 30-year-old, I very much doubt anybody would have given it much more than a cursory look. A lot of it, at least the bit I've read, is still clumsy and needs revision.

22. Trish

I agree... at least from the part I read. It's not the worst I've ever seen (by any stretch of the imagination, lol) but it did still need work. I hope she does well too. Starting this early should really make her a force later, if she applies herself. :)

jannert likes this.
  23. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Yes; after reading much of the sample I conclude that the book seems to be much better than the work of many adult self-published authors, but it still isn't of publication quality.

24. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Eh, talent? How can you tell?

What I see is a smart girl, very driven, who had the patience and diligence to sit down and right a straight novel. Looks like fairly clean, basic, stuff, at least the first page. No doubt a very impressive endeavor from a 13 year old, regardless of how much assistance she got from her parents, teachers, etc, but I reserve the word talent for people who are obviously very creative and or are master of the written word. Certainly no sign of that here.