1. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

1700-1800 fantasy setting...

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by RIPPA MATE, Dec 29, 2008.

Ho all,

I've recently been a bit obsessed with the whole musket, sabre, industrial type setting thing... and i was wondering if anybody knew of any books in the type of setting, that was fantasy.

I recently wrote one (novellete) myself you see, interested in how other people write the stuff.

thanks

2. Fatorc

Fatorc New Member

I can only think of a couple and one of them is really steampunk."Mainspring" by J. Lake and graphic novel fun in Moores "League of Extraordinary Gentleman." Of course there's th e old Jules Verne and H.G. Wells Classics and even some anime-"Steamboy" and "Howls Moving Castle".

You could always try The Glass Books of the Dream eaters a geunuinely bonkers book however it is set in a late (alternative) Victorian age. Perhaps too late for your idea.
    Some of the Warhammer books have a musketry (and magic) edge such as the "Skavenslayer" featuring the steam powered engines of the University of Nuln.

I think Harry Turtledove wrote an alternative history of the war between Britian and the US set in the 1700's. Might give you some ideas.

3. jwilder

jwilder New Member

"League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is a great example of what you're looking for. I wasn't keen on the graphic novel (such as comics are called these days), but the movie was pretty good. Plot was thin, but the setting elements of "sabres and steel" were present, and very well done.

Also, check out the new mini-series called "Tin Man". It was just released in the US on the Sci-Fi Channel (not sure if that's broadcast worldwide). It's a spin on the traditional "Wizard of Oz", but the setting elements are exactly what you're describing. Horses and swords mixed with early automobiles and guns. Steel castles, brick and mud huts. Electricity and candlelight and magic light, etc etc. Again, the plot is spotty, but the technical and scenic elements are a mesh of post-WWI elements, and they're presented seamlessly.

Or, check out "Return to Oz". I think it's a late 70's film - absolutely terrible plot and horrible writing and abysmal "acting", if I recall, but an excellent representation of combining those late-Victorian elements with more modern, industrical elements.

4. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

There is a series set in approximately 1815 that may or may not be what you're looking for. Even if it isn't, though, it's a good story and well worth the read.

It's called His Majesty's Dragon, by Naomi Novik. Alternate history in which dragon's exist. It follows a British naval captain and his adventures during England's war with Napoleonic France. And I must reiterate - it is a good book.

_____
    "Neem!" the alien cried as it swung its sword at the humans. "Neem! Neem!"

5. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

Thanks for these guys, shall look them up.

6. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Yeah, this series is really fun. I'm on the third book right now, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.