1. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

1st book - eta May 2017

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by sprirj, May 31, 2015.

So, continuing on from my thread in general writing, I'm posting my weekly word count in an effort to shift my backside. If anything else interesting happens I'll plop it on here too.

I'm currently working on chapter 2 - this week I've completed 1035 words. Also had an idea of MC taking journey down a river to get to next location, as I find cars and roads very dull in books.

ToDandy, BookLover and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

So you basically just started, and you're giving yourself about two years to finish, am I right? That sounds pretty reasonable to me!

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I thought two years. I'm going on four now, but I'm dang close. :)

ToDandy likes this.
  4. sprirj

Well I've been writing stop start on this particular idea since I became a member, but it has taken me a number of years to learn how to write. By that I mean all of the structure and plots and arcs that you just take for granted when reading something. Now I feel ready to write proper.

So some of my scenes are written, but I'm restructuring, and changing for a first real draft.

5. sprirj

I have been feeling really pleased with my self, and my progress this week. I'm already into chapter three, and I've written four thousand words this week. I have no idea where it all came from, it's like I have the opposite of writers block. I hope it is sustainable, and I'm loving writing at the moment, and all the parts of my story are slotting into place. I'm sure, I will have to go back and fix some parts, where the tension may be weak, but reading back I'm quite pleased with it. Yay me.

6. sprirj

Haha oh how I wish I hadn't jinxed my writing. Last week I was flying, and this week I've stalled, I hit chapter 3 and it is the point I reveal the main theme of my novel, it should be easy, but instead I'm finding really difficult to introduce this element and make it believable. I think because it is the first chapter that starts slow and builds, but what I've found is that when there is no action, I care little for the main character. I am thinking out loud, but maybe I need to re-work chapters to allow for self discovery for my mc?

7. sprirj

Chapter 3 -2728 words. Over my hurdle of last week, and now I've my next part to consider, the last third of my third chapter. This is going to introduce the main drive for my mc for the first half of the book. Physically it could be the most abstract piece in the book. Mentally it needs to be the emotionally connecting.

8. sprirj

Almost zero written of actual draft but working on the ending concept, which was good, but not good enough. Now it feels epic and ties up on a few ideas hinted upon at the start of the book.

9. sprirj

Finished chapter 3 and started work on 4. This weekend, family reunion party and moving house so feel like novel has been neglected. However still positive about the whole thing, and my new approach to writing. I'm looking forward setting up a writing 'space' in the new home.

10. sprirj

I'm still here, just without internet currently. :)

11. sprirj

Ok it's been half a month and not written anything. My new house is full of boxes and I can't find anything. Currently diy is taking up all my free time. Should be re-connected to internet tomorrow, so I'll have more time to write as won't have to drive to my parents every time I want to use the Internet. :) I've just got to write more when I am back to to a pattern to keep to my target end date.

12. sprirj

Major guilt trip - found my progress journal floating on page 2 of the forums... I've not written more than a few lines for a few months, and I have a lot of excuses lined up... So I'm back in writing mode. My target is 1000 words this weekend, to get me rolling again.

13. sprirj

Chapter 4 written, and chapter 5 begun. Those last few chapters were a bit of a slog, but I've tweaked part of my story, and I hope it will all run a lot smoother. My MC is now travelling by river/canal, which I had hoped to do.
    16k written. 132k target pre edit. 90k post edit. Now things are more settled at home, and with lighter days, I hope I can write a chapter a month, and get back on target. Certainly, reading 'on writing' has given me a boost.
    All I need to do is write every day, even if it is just one word.

14. sprirj

Then last two weeks of April were a write off. Very little done and now in May, I'm half way through my deadline. I have one year and one month left to finish my book. At my current rate I might need two years, but I will try to write as much as possible over summer.

15. sprirj

1/3 of book almost complete. Have a week off so hope to get done by end of next week.