1. Gringoamericano

Gringoamericano New Member

Graphic Novels Writing/Thinking visually

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Gringoamericano, May 5, 2012.

Well, I've decided to start writing comics (something I've been putting off for a year), but I'm very used to writing very minimally, as I often have trouble visualizing the characters and settings, and instead I focus on conveying all of the wit in the story through the dialogue. Does anybody have any tips over thinking/writing visually?

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Watch movies in the relevant genre and do some google image searches - pick out the ones that inspires you, or looks interesting and may be a useful reference in the future, remember the scenes that you found memorable and that you feel you could use.

If in doubt, pick an image that's close to what you want, and then adapt from it, taking it as a reference, so you're not drawing from a blank page. Makes it a lot easier to put it down onto paper, especially as if shows you how things should look simply on an observational level.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Comics/Graphic novels differ from both cinema and traditional writing. The visual element in comics includes words and phonetic components rendered visually, and dialogue can be placed so that sequence is not set in stone. Even the layout of panels varies and is part of the communication.

This site doesn't really do justice to that type of writing. There are sites dedicated to design and development of comics. This site can help with the general composition of story and plot, and character development, but the presentation is very different.

4. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

Read good webcomics, like Order of the Stick.

5. Winzett

Winzett Member

Comics, manga and anime could help. Even games with cinematics and such could be useful.

The more scenes you see, the better you will become at visualizing. It's also quite fun to watch movies, read comics etc ^^

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you're writing the text and dialog for a comic strip or a comic book, then you're not really 'writing visually' because the illustrations do the visual heavy lifting and all you need to write is dialog and bits of expository stuff...

however, if you meant you're writing the script for an animated film, then that's a whole 'nother thing... and that IS 'writing visually' in re the action/description element... it would be written almost the same as a live action film script, the only difference being you need to be just a tad more 'visual'... but the style is the same and so is the format... so you can download any animated film screenplays to see how it's done...