1. Bryman

Bryman Member

2,000 a day and beyond

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Bryman, Mar 31, 2016.

I find commitment insanely hard. This ranges from sticking with stories long enough to finish them to making concrete decisions in my everyday life. Even now, seven months after moving to Colorado from of my parents home in Florida, I sometimes have strong urges to just go back home and leave my new responsibilities here. My point being that I need to fix at least one of these problems. And seeing as I plan on sticking to Colorado for the long haul, I'll need to finish a story or two.

From this day on, I'll be writing 2,000 or more words every single day. It doesn't matter what the 2,000 words are for, whether it's a review for a movie or a chapter of a novel, as long as I write 2,000 words every single day I'll be happy with myself. Which brings us back to commitment.

Simply telling my friends and family I'll be doing this has been met with terrible results in the past. (Looking at you NaNoWriMo's 2011 - 2016) My hope is that using this forum's journal thread will hold me to my words.

Even though I joined way back in 2012, I'm basically new here, so hopefully I can meet some cool people :-D

2. Bryman

Bryman Member

I didn't want to double post yesterday, but I did reach the goal of two thousand, with a thousand extra for good measure.

I started chapter one of a story I've been planning called Seeded Hope:

Seeded Hope
    - The Seed project was meant to repopulate the Xeri region after a decades of inhospitable conditions. On the ruins of an old coastal city, they built Seed. But the city soon fell to ruin after gang activity became rampant, the rich segregated from the poor, and the police force was denied extra staff to enforce law. Combined with the natural disasters that plague the area, the region is hardly better off than it was. Morgan, a young man from another region, is asked to come help on his grandparent's farm. But when he arrives in Xeri, he gets dragged into the region's disputes, eventually uncovering a plot much bigger than simple conspiracy.

So I ended up writing 3,412 words for that. I don't like how two of the characters ended up being on the page, so I need to fix that, but that can come later.

And today, I wrote about a thousand words for a rewrite of a rewrite of a rewrite x10000 of the first chapter for a book called Cale's adventure. Which is your basic fantasy story of betrayal and magic and battles, etc. Boring in premise, but I wanna write it anyway.

And I started on an extension for a one shot I feel like turning into a full story and got a thousand out of that.

Yesterday was a lot easier than today, but I plan on making this 2,000 words a day a habit.

3. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member

Good for you! I've been holding to my 2000 word minimum for almost two months now. There have been a few days with less and several with more. I book off writing this novel for over twenty years, now I'm at about 105,000 words and only a little more to go before the dreaded editing & beta readings.
    It can be done!

4. Bryman

Bryman Member

As for today's progress, I spent most of the day moving all of my planning material for my newest project over to Scrivener, but I did rework the magic system for it and that put me at around 1500 words. Added to the thousand or so I wrote for expanding on a fantasy race I had begun the other week, I made my goal for the third day as well.

Starting today, I think it will be much easier to fall into a routine. Especially after having made a decision to pay for Scrivener. I finally made the decision after reading and thinking a lot about a quote I read about a week and a half ago; "Fools waste their money on foolish things. Only the wise use their money to better themselves". And while it's a bit harsh, and I definitely have spent money on some really foolish things, I like the meaning behind it. I've never really invested in anything to better myself and figured this was a great place to start.

105,000 is pretty impressive! As for myself, I think the editing part of the process will be pretty fun. I've always really liked beta-reading and editing essays and stories for friends so doing it for my own might be pretty fun.

5. Bryman

Bryman Member

First day writing an actual story in Scrivener and I can say that it was met with a lot of success! With a total word count of 2,261, my newest project Seeding Hope is off to a decent start.
    Also worked on today was rewriting a bit of the setting to fit more easily with the reworked magic system. I also went ahead and planned out the major plot points for the story so that I have a loose outline of what to work with and what direction to go.

Total word-count of the day: between 2 and 3 thousand.

Current projects:
    Main:
    Seeding Hope - 2,261 words
    Secondary:
    Scimono Race sheet - 1,060 words
    Cale's Adventure - Several version of first chapter under consideration
    Rainfall - One shot I want to turn into a full story

6. Bryman

Bryman Member

Day 5

Woke up a bit late today and had a few distractions, but that didn't stop me from getting 2,000. It was slow going and I got a bit frustrated with where it ended up at one point, but we did it in the end. And that's all the matters at the end of the day.

Total word-count for the day: 2,156

Current projects:
    Main:
    Seeding Hope - 4,471 words
    Secondary:
    Scimono Race sheet - No change
    Cale's Adventures - No change
    Rainfall - No change

7. Bryman

Bryman Member

Day 6

I did it again. I switched main projects and began writing for something that isn't Seeded Hope. I do this often enough that it drives me insane, but the purpose of my new goal is to simply write 2,000 words a day and I find myself not as upset with myself as I would have been prior to setting the goal.

I wrote the prologue to Cale's Adventure. A title that is highly subject to change, as it no longer holds any relation with a story series of the same name I wrote when I was eleven. (If you're interested in that travesty I can direct you to it, though it's horrendous) It is the only "novel" I've ever finished, but my god is it atrocious.

The prologue came to an end at about 2,989 words. Along with that, I moved everything to do with the project over to Scrivener, rewriting and going more in depth with character sheets and setting, as well as the magic system.

Total word count for the day: Between 3,000 and 3,500

Current projects:
    Main:
    Cale's Adventure - 2,989 words
    Secondary
    Seeding Hope - 4,471 words
    Scimono Race - 1,060 words
    Rainfall - 3,711 words

8. Bryman

Bryman Member

Day 7

I woke up way too early today for when I fell asleep last night. As a result, my writing quality, and my confidence in it, took a hit. Still, I managed to get 2,000. Just barely, but I did it.

With 379 words going into Seeding Hope and 137 into Cale's Adventure, neither of my big projects made a lot of progress today.

But I did start on another chapter of Rainfall, writing out the same scene twice, but from different POV's. The two characters in the scene each got their own, slightly different version of the same scene and that was a cool experience.

I also dove into my fanfiction filled past and found a god awful novelization of the Team Rocket takeover of Goldenrod Tower from Pokemon Silver and Gold. I managed to write 663 words. Which ended up being about half of the original chapter's words despite only being a single scene in.

Not a great day, but I reached the goal. Maybe I'll push myself for 3,000 tomorrow. Test my limits now that a week has passed.

Total word count for today - 2,089

Current Projects:
    Main:
    Cale's Adventure - 3,126 words
    Seeding Hope - 4,850 words
    Secondary:
    Rainfall - 4,628 words
    Scimono Race - 1,060 words
    Goldenrod Tower Rewrite - 663 words

9. Bryman

Bryman Member

Day 8 and 9

Wound up getting roped into a Game of Thrones marathon yesterday and didn't remember to post an update. I managed to get my 2,000, just barely before my roommates started the marathon, but I did it.

2,023 words for Cale's Adventure. I think I'm going to spend the day working on a deeper magic system for the series. While Seeding Hope has little use for a deep magic system, Cale's Adventure's plot literally revolves around magic, the people who use it, and the decisions people make. So I think I need more than "They use it this way or that way and some people hate it so they can't do it often".

I'm not terribly good at devising smart and deep magic systems so this should take all day. Hopefully I'll still get 2,000 words out of it, but if not I don't mind too much. A break every now and then never hurt anyone.

Current Projects:
    Main:
    Cale's Adventure - 5,149 words
    Secondary:
    Rainfall - 4,850 words
    Scimono Race - 1,060 (Taking this off the secondary listing)

10. Bryman

Bryman Member

Day 10

The break I took yesterday manifested it's thanks in the form of a lot of words today. I'm very happy with the work I did today, as well as the small amount of work I did yesterday. Combined, I managed a total word count of a little more than three thousand. A thousand of it being a reworked setting, magic system, and character stuff.

I managed 2,200 words exactly today. I wrote the scene in which my protagonist reunites with his best friend after a year. At first, she beats his ass while the rest of their guild watches. But later, while they're alone, things get as tender as I feel they would be. Despite how close the two are, she's felt betrayed for the better part of the year. Things will get better, but surprise for him, their tender moment was just a moment of weakness. His friend's changed in the pat year and he'll be seeing just how much in the next handful of chapters!

Total word count for today - 2,405
    Total from the past two days - 3,082

Current projects:
    Main:
    Cale's Adventure - 7,349 words
    Secondary:
    Rainfall - 4,850 words

I love how Rainfall and Seeding Hope have the same number of words for each :superthink:

11. Bryman

Bryman Member

It's been ten days. Ten days since I stopped doing two thousand words a day. I relapsed to my old habit of just not writing when I don't feel like it. Between binge watching Game of Thrones with friends and trying for a new job, there is very little time to write and I never feel like writing during those times.

So there are my excuses. Time to just get back to work. Reset the counter for day one. Post tomorrow will include the writing I get done today as well as tomorrow.

12. Bryman

Bryman Member

Hello my name is garbage and I can't keep to a goal for more than two weeks.

But I wrote 4000 words today so take that self deprecating me!

I started planning out a whole new story and all of those words went to world building and character creation, but I'm excited for this story. It has a lot more set story and built world than anything I've ever done before.

Total word count - 4,221 words

ToDandy likes this.
  13. Bryman

Bryman Member

"2,000 words a day my ass" says I with every day that passes that I don't post in this journal.

Oh well. I'm starting work again soon. But the schedule is only 4 days a week, so maybe I'll change the goal to "2,000 words a day for 3 days every week."

That all being said, I have been working quite hard on this latest story I've concocted. I've probably written a total of 8,000 ish words with planning, world building, character creations, and four versions of the opening chapter.

Pretty solid writing week. Better than I feel my writing weeks ever being aside from my brief ten days of two thousand a day. I'm real glad I started being active (relatively) in this forum :-D

14. Bryman

Bryman Member

Armed with a brand new laptop, Some alone time for the first time in months, the weekend off work, and an extremely painful creative spot in my brain, I'm reviving this journal. two thousand words a day.

I'll be back to post today's results before it ends. And if I don't, assume I've jumped off a roof out of frustration for myself >_>

15. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

You can do it!

P.S. Is that a penis with a face in your avatar?

16. Bryman

Bryman Member

Thank you for your encouragement!

Also...
    http://i.imgur.com/ZvNtPg3.png?1

Tenderiser likes this.
  17. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed.

18. Bryman

Bryman Member

Day One - (Prologue)

Today was a slow day, with little progress to speak of. I wrote around a thousand words total for different things; a fanfiction, my main story, some world building for another story, etc. But all that I kept came to around 300 words total.

This is not something I find acceptable for another attempt at a 2000 a day streak and intend to make up for it greatly tomorrow. Five thousand words, no less. But for now, I must sleep. Hopefully, it does me some good and I'll wake up good and early ready to write my set goal and then some!

Word count update unavailable right now.
    Total words written today - 300 (estimated)