1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Tragic Characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Killer300, Aug 30, 2011.

What makes a tragic character work? Because I can think of a lot of tragic characters that fall on their face from a lack of sympathy(like a particularly embarrassingly bad failure of my own,) but a tragic character that works can be some of the most powerful in fiction.
    Besides that, do you have favorites in tragic characters? I myself have a least favorite(Romero because he is both popular and an idiot with zero impulse control.) Favorite? Perhaps George from 1984, because he can't really do anything to save himself.

2. Declan

Declan New Member

Winston* from 1984 is one of my favourites too ;) Easy to get the author and characters mixed up.

I always did like Othello, and found that a very sad play.
    Blanche from A Street Car Named Desire is a very sad and tragic character, too.

3. Declan

Declan New Member

Winston* from 1984 is one of my favourites too ;) Easy to get the author and characters mixed up.

I always did like Othello, and found that a very sad play.
    Blanche from A Street Car Named Desire is a very sad and tragic character, too.

4. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

While I personally am not too familiar with this subject, I do know that Shakespeare wrote plenty of tragedies. It might be beneficial to check out some of his characters, as they might provide a sort of guideline for you.

Some of his characters that might be useful to study: Brutus (Julius Caesar) and Hamlet (Hamlet).

I think that Sophocles had some tragic heroes as well, but I'm not too familiar with his works.

If I find anything relating to him I'll go ahead and let you know.

5. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Oh, I HATE Julius Caesar, although Brutus is okay I guess.

Ah, Winston, thanks. Yeah, that is easy unforunately.:p