Tags:
  1. dropkicker

dropkicker New Member

Novel an idea

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by dropkicker, Feb 20, 2010.

OK, so I have been thinking about a novel I have been itching to write, but the thing is, it is not all too orthodox ( in my experience). The story has no one specific "protagonist" nor a specific "antagonist" as a general reference to go by. In a different scene or chapter, the point of view switches, but it all ties in into one coherent story with a beginning, middle and end. If this is confusing, the best way to see where I am coming from is to watch Pulp Fiction, very Tarantino-esque.

2. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

Or you could watch the anime "Lain".

I see what you are saying. So what you want to do is right what you are doing. Such as:

"What you are about to experiance is not of what your mind should handle. This story proceeds without a spine. You might feel a bit dizzy at times. But remember one thing. You kept reading."

A sorta inciting discloser that tells readers what they are about to read. THat way they can make sense of what it is.

I've done this from time to time on a school paper. I got an A+!

3. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

Sounds different. I would just remember WHY there are all those things in almost all novels. If you can find a different way to deliver your story as effectively without them then bravo. Things to keep in mind though are the 5 parts of fiction and why they exist: Setting, Characters, Plot, Narrative style, & Theme.

4. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

If you aren't making fiction you can do what ever you want. I don't know what it is that you will come out with. But the reasons why you don't see to many of them isn't because nobody thinks about them. But because nobody writes well enough about them.

So It's up to you to decide if you should try it or not. But in mo opinion. DO IT!

5. THX-1138

THX-1138 New Member

It seems to me your trying to put a movie into a book. Maybe you see it in your head like a tarantino film, but you have to remember film and literature are very different. But the idea of point of view change has been happening in novels for years. Hemingway's 'To have and have not' is told from the perspective of several different people. As are Palahniuk's 'Rant', and 'Snuff'. That's nothing new. I would like to know, What's the story about? Who are the characters?

6. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

You have a point. But if you know what key elements you are looking for when you compare a movie and a book they aren't that different. Script writers are pretty much the go-between in this situation. They convert a book into a play. And this play is then produced into a movie.

7. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

THX is correct that film and literature are vastly different. There are certain parts of film that you just could not render in literature verbatim. Your idea could work, dropkicker, but I'll admit I'm confused already and all you've done is tell me what your idea is. Perhaps you can provide us with some more information without jeopardizing chances of publishing?

What are your reasons for not having a defined protagonist and antagonist? Why must the story be told from multiple perspectives? If your reason is because you saw it in a movie and thought it was cool then you already started this off on the wrong foot. You need a reason for why you are planning to write it a certain way because only with reason will you come up with a solution. The solution being how you eventually write it to where your manuscript doesn't become scratch paper.

Your idea does sound interesting, however. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Caleb

8. dropkicker

dropkicker New Member

My reason for wanting to do this is to show that there isn't just one side of a story, there are always multiple sides of it.

Think about it, when sh*t hits the fan and we've got multiple sides of it, more depth will be created. That's how i feel about - I think it creates more depth.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's far from a new, or unique concept in written fiction... but if you think you can put a new spin on it, just write it and see what happens...

10. cboatsman

cboatsman New Member

Reminds me of the movie Vantage Point.

Just go with it and see how it comes out, then. If you feel confident enough to write it effectively. Passion for an idea will usually bleed through on the finished product. :)

Caleb

11. dropkicker

dropkicker New Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

12. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

It reminds me of Dangerous Liaisons. Where the story is composed by the different experiences of the people involved. Or Orhan Pamuk's my name is red, a book I like a lot. Sure you could do it, but it sounds extra difficult. And extra fun. Try to read books that have done the same.

As for books and films, they are very different I think.
    Homer describes a battle, how cold metal hits someone and then darkness falls over his eyes.
    In a movie that's a spear going through someone's brain.
    That's a huge difference!

13. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

I'm sure there is another thread on the subject.

This one: Tips for 1st person writing?

Somewhere in there they talk abour points of view etc.

14. dropkicker

dropkicker New Member

As for books and films, they are very different I think.
    Homer describes a battle, how cold metal hits someone and then darkness falls over his eyes.
    In a movie that's a spear going through someone's brain.
    That's a huge difference!

Well, it is not necessarily different, it's more like an interpretation. A spear head can be composed of metal and well, I have not died before, but I am sure you will not be seeing again. Ahahaha.

15. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

It's a matter of technique in my opinion, rather than interpretation.

THX-1138 wrote: It seems to me your trying to put a movie into a book. Maybe you see it in your head like a tarantino film, but you have to remember film and literature are very different.

I was simply agreeing with THX-1138. I think if you do that, you limit your options and choices, and of course the result. :)