2063: Icarus (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by halisme, Nov 9, 2016.

1. gibble410

gibble410 Contributor Contributor

I'm going to post now, try and catch up. I liked how Obi's post started!

2. obi-sem kenobi

obi-sem kenobi Senior Member

So, I just realised... Most of the men are in their mid-late 40s, and all the women are in their early 20s... Seems like you got some of that Victorian setting in here after all :p

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  3. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

You're the people that did this, not me. ;)

4. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Poor Silas, odd man out.

5. gibble410

Anyone remember my character?

6. obi-sem kenobi

Yeah, she's in her early twenties right?

7. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Kami was gonna be older, (27 or 28, I think,) but I dialed it back because her personality is just too immature.

On the other hand, her personality is kind of an act or mask to hide the horrible stuff she's seen and done. I don't think she realizes how damaged she truly is.

8. gibble410

I did my character after Sapphire from Unretired Superheros, but younger!

cydney likes this.
  9. obi-sem kenobi

Ah,you mean like that! Yeah, the similarities did not go unnoticed :p
    Alexander is sort of an experiment, because he's the first character I've written in an RP that's a bit of an asshole. I've done a murdering revenge-driven mercenary before, but at least he was still nice to people... and he reformed halfway through the story. So I'm curious to see how this guy turns out.

10. AnonyMouse

@obi-sem kenobi
    In case you're wondering, Alexander is the "old man" Kami was teasing at the end of my post. So, if you're looking for an opportunity to test out your assholery skills, be my guest. :p If nothing else, it's something to do while we wait. (Well, I'm going to bed soon,but it's something to do in the morning, hah.)

gibble410 and I.A. By the Barn like this.
  11. halisme

I'll make a post on the simulation tonight, and pick up the pace for the weekend.

12. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Say hello to the group's gadget wiz!

Name: Elizabeth Quene (Lizzie Q)
    (Rough) Age: 44
    Appearance: The latest plastic surgeries and G-mods make Lizzie quite a bombshell. She is tall, with colour changing hair, that flows in waves down to her shoulders, a perfect hourglass figure, colour-changing eyes, button nose, full lips. She wears a tight exoskeleton with a cleavage, and a red leather coat on top of it. High heel boots.
    Skills: Lizzie Q is a mechanicall genius. Able to understand machines and systems almost intinctively. Shee has a very creative mind, and childlike curiousity, always researching the latest gadgets and finding ways to improve them. She has 800 patents under her name, back when patents meant something. With her toolbox (see below) she is able to whip up a gadget for simple tasks within a minute, but the time the item takes to create is longer in relation to the complexity of the task. For complex pieces of work she will need her workshop, though. (All up to the GM's decision)

Equipment/G-Mods:

AI: M, is a powerful comuter connected to Lizzie's mind via a chip. It helps her with all the nessecary calculations for her work and also holds information about most of the materials descovered and synthetised up until now, as well as all inventions Icarus knows of, (at least, what she has access to) and is connected to the Icarus net for updates. It also activates her toolbox.

Cybernetics: Her left arm has been replaced with a mechanical limb stacked with all the gadgets she can load on it: a retractable toolkit, lighter, poison dart, chopsticks, laser pointer, pen, round saw, music player, a malfuntioning sonic gun. The arm is called IG2.
    Her eyes have a cybernetic implants to them, with the following modes: infrared vision, zoom forwards up to X50, X-ray vision (shut off at the moment. The radiation nearly fried her brain), heat sensitive vision, camera and voice recorder, eye-colour changer, self-TV.

Exoskeleton: a standard issue that covers her legs and torso to help carry all the equipment she needs.

G-mods: Just to make her look pretty.

Experimental Tech: Her toolbox, Lizzie's own invention. The "toolbox" is actually a high tech 3D printer, connected to her brain via M. She uses it to craft items and gadgets on the fly, creating what she needs through thinking. Called Ben.
    Her weapon of choice is the Darwin Gun 007, a creation she "borrowed" from a rival tech-wiz. It has intechangable barrels, recoils, sights, ect. Basically it can change to whatever gun the situation needs with the touch of a button, from a handgun, to railgun, assault rifle, or sniper rifle. It's a self-aiming weapon, though its systems are still quite new and in developement
    Her high heels come with a running booster and can attatch themselves to walls.
    Her leather coat has a flamethrower atatched to one of its sleeves and the Darwin gun to the other.
    Also, whatever gadget she happened to have just created/brought with her. I'll ask for GM approval whenever I do something like that to avoid goddmodding.

Background: Lizzie is a desendant of a high aristocratic family in the old Britain, who are rumoured to be desended from the legendary Sir John Quene of the English secret service (the inpiration to James Bond's Q). From a young age Lizzie was recognized as a technical prodigy, breaking her family biased that gadgeteering is a "man's talent." By the age of 16 she joined Her Majesty's secret service (Queen Elizabeth lived to the ripe old age of 121). The secret service did their best to hold the country from falling apart, but by then it was inevitable. Always an opportunist, Elizabeth saw the downfall was near, and left one year before the UK collapsed, joining a fresh orginization known as Icarus.
    She now works in the orginization for nearly twenty years, mostly in the armoury. She is occasionally sent on field missions, mostly as a punishment for her many failed experiments

13. AnonyMouse

@halisme
    I presume Icarus wants us to extract the family and kill Linda Grey, right? Or do they want all four extracted... or all four dead? Or is this an open-ended assignment to see what we'll do?

Also, how much leeway do we have in setting the scene? Should we wait for a response from you before proceeding further into the Spire and/or interacting with NPCs or are you letting us write what happens? I know your RPs tend to be more open-ended. If you want us to take what you've given and run with it, just say the word. I already have some fun stuff in mind. And by fun' I mean 'trouble,' of course.

14. halisme

The mission is open-ended. You have the choice to kill or extract all targets. As for your own control of NPCs, any non-named NPC is free game e.g guards, civilians, while anyone with a name is more important to the plot, and I'd prefer if you waited for a reply, unless you're trying to kill them of course.

15. AnonyMouse

Got it. That's what I figured.

Working on a post now, but gotta go soon, so it might not be done until much later.

16. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

I'm sorry for the delay on my character sheet, I've got writers block trying to come up with someone I want to use. I didn't realise this would be so hard getting back into the swing of things - but Halisme I will ensure I have something tomorrow morning for you.

17. gibble410

.slow claps.
    Welcome back @Fan7asticMrFox

And i posted @halisme hopefully my post is accurate. If not please tell me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  18. halisme

It's fine and @Fan7asticMrFox , take your time. Quality over quantity.

cydney likes this.
  19. AnonyMouse

@gibble410
    Is Emma's gun silenced? I kind of assumed it is but, if not, I guess we can play it as if my post happened between Emma leaving and the guard's death. If you say the shot is audible, I'll write a reaction in my next post.

Also, if anyone's interested, I've added an "appearance" section to Kami's character sheet. I was going to look for a picture, since that seems to be what all the cool kids are doing these days, but googling "pictures of asian girls" probably won't end well... or will it. :superthink:

20. Fan7asticMrFox

Hi all, here is my character sheet.

Character sheet

Name: Aaron Brooks

Skill: Aaron is the former Head of Media Communications and Public Relations for Icarus' home security detail, known to the Spires as Icarus Safety Ensurement Community or ISEC. (it used to be ISEF, but there were negative connotations related to use of the word "Force"). In this role he demonstrated a talent for leadership, responsible for over 5000 people in offices across the Mediterranean and more importantly, directly in charge of 50 team members within his studio control room.

The skill he sculptured the most in this long and ambitious career was deception. The man could spin a story and get the public lapping it up, lying straight down their video feeds either himself or through the use of brand medium such as a trendy energy drink or a successful sit com. With war on the horizon he turned his efforts towards improving corporation security appeal, which helped shift the negative public opinion onto the warring world governments. Ultimately him and his team's well crafted lies helped the corporations pick up the pieces once the nuclear dust had settled.

Further to that he has a knack for getting information and using it to his advantage, whether that be through phone hacking or now, in this more technologically advanced era, drone cameras and sonar location beacons to name a few. Although sometimes good old fashioned bribes work just as well.

Equipment: Aaron is happy to admit he's not a fighter, in fact he couldn't think of anything worse than being an operative in the field. This however was a mandatory assignment. So with regards to weaponry, G-Mods and cybernetics he doesn't have anything special and with some of his more right wing views, he wouldn't want them anyway.

But that doesn't mean he is totally defenceless. Aaron owns a personalised silenced pistol that he calls "Public Relations", which has two modes, stealthy (single shot) and panic (800 RPM with a cartridge of 90 bullets). He hopes not to have to use that setting.

His more advanced tools comes in the shape of an exoskeleton backpack, which has a number of cool gadgets attached. Firstly there are the drone cams, small dragonfly like camera drones that can send images back to Aaron's glasses. He also has sonar spheres, which are small metallic looking balls that emit an invisible wave of sonar whenever they are thrown at a hard surface, silently revealing the location of anyone in a 100 ft radius and allowing Aaron to listen in on nearby conversations.

And finally he has a homing hacker, a small missile dart that fires from the top of the backpack and imbeds itself into a target piece of electronics (such as a camera or machine gun turret). Once imbedded the homing hacker can do one of two things the target, shutdown or control.

Background: As Head of Media Comms and PR, Aaron had the perfect life for himself - the money, the power, the marginal fame that meant he was sometimes recognised but never approached. Just the way he liked it. He had the respect, and he could throw his influence hat into any ring with ease, with work or with women.

A smooth talker and a trained deceiver, Aaron sold the public lies to keep the peace and boy was he good at it. His control in the studio situation room led to many de-escalations of riots, angry mob hounding of professional and personal threats, and most importantly ensuring positive public appeal for ISEC, especially considering they had a knack for civilian brutality - which most times Aaron and his team were able to cover.

But one time, they didn't. On what should have been the biggest night of his career, Aaron was left as public enemy number one when the launch of the new ISEC marketing campaign was sabotaged. Huge video feed slots had been booked to show off ISEC's human side and help drive home their public support, but instead a group of radical activists hacked into the system and broadcast the true cruelty and brutality of ISEC. The hack also included confidential recordings of Aaron trying to cover this and also his slanderous views of the public as "sheep" and "brain washed morons" that you could get to believe anything.

His world was completely flipped. Now he was the narcissist with nothing to back it up. He resigned of course, but when it was found out he was trying to apply for a position at another corporation, he was captured, beaten and given two choices - die or work for Icarus and try to spread their operative message with propaganda. He reluctantly accepted, not realising this meant field work and what could only be described as a delayed death sentence.

21. gibble410

@AnonyMouse, I really didn't think of that. Im just going to say the gun isn't silenced.

22. obi-sem kenobi

Ok, my brain is probably still waking up, but I'm a little confused, maybe you guys can clear me up a bit:
    @gibble410 Is Emma really just rushing forward like an unguided projectile, discarding any kind of teamwork on this? Because that's not going to leave a very good first impression I think. Of course, if it's in your character's personality, go for it, just trying to figure her out.
    And @Fan7asticMrFox Did Aaron just purposefully ignore Alexander's suggestion, or was my description of his plan too vague?

I mean, either one is fine, but it's all just moving a bit fast for me all of a sudden :p

23. Fan7asticMrFox

Hey Obi,

That wasn't my intention, I thought Aaron was siding with your plan to be the 'bad cops' and go towards another entrance and just splitting the teams. Am I not correct? I am happy to edit if not.

24. obi-sem kenobi

Ah, just me being vague then :)
    What I meant for him to say was that he and Emma would use their cloaks to sneak around the targets and attack from the other side, so they would run in the right direction, straight into your rescuing arms. There would be no need for any real ruckus because he'd set off the alarms in that specific area of the Spire without feeding the emergency information to the main server, so there shouldn't have been too many extra guards to deal with.

But you can leave it like this, that's fine, I'll just have Alexander be grumpy about it or something and have him make the same mental note as me: "Make sure you explain things properly next time" :p

25. Fan7asticMrFox

No probs - I'm happy for you to treat it like Aaron was ignoring Alex, build some animosity and character tension :D