2063: Icarus

Discussion in 'Role Play' started by halisme, Nov 9, 2016.

1. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

"A smoke?" Cammy said as she hopped out of the sim chair. "Oh, wait, you meant a cigarette. Lame." She gave a dismissive wave to Lizzie before turning to their new handler. "I hope you're not like my last handler. I mean, you call a guy a 'bag of dicks' once --just ONCE-- and he holds it against you forever. The nerve of that guy!" The put her hands on her hips. "Anyway, where's the afterparty? I gotta go pick up my gun, but I'll catch up with you guys there... and by catch up, I really mean get there first."

2. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

"If I was off the clock I'd say whoever can't take an insult is a bit of a bitch. Of course, I'm only on the clock for about fifteen more minutes." It was then that a slight beep came from her pocket and she pulled a small black box. "You've got to be kidding me." She closed her eyes and shook her head, before looking upwards and taking into space. "Daedulus, please tell me this is a glitch."

"No, Miss Lawson."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Miss Lawson. This has come down from the Oversight Board."

"Fuck." She growled, rolling her head back and having a snarl on her face. "You three should go get some sleep. You've got a job tomorrow and now I have to spend all night finding out what.

3. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

"A smoke?" Cammy said as she hopped out of the sim chair. "Oh, wait, you meant a cigarette. Lame."
    Lizzie looked surprised for a moment. So smoking wasn't cool anymore with the youngsters, even after the cure for cancer and all that? God sometimes she felt old. Those were usually the times she went for another surgery.

"Sure, because having hair like an eighties party is the definition of awesome."

"Fuck." She growled, rolling her head back and having a snarl on her face. "You three should go get some sleep. You've got a job tomorrow and now I have to spend all night finding out what."

"Fuck," Lizzie repeated. "Call me if a party is still up. Got a call to make."
    She left in a hurry before connecting to her assisstant through her computer.

"Honey, yeah, all good, listen, I'll be gone for a while, yeah, make sure the team are making progress on the belt. The right amount, yeah, leave the break-throughs to me. Allright, yeah, you too. Bye."

4. AnonyMouse

"Sure, because having hair like an eighties party is the definition of awesome," Lizzie replied.

"It literally is," Kami muttered, but the woman was already fleeing the scene.

"Sleep is for chumps," Kami replied to Lawson. Besides, if they were going all the way to Rio, she'd have time to sleep on the way there. She gave a lazy wave and began to glide away backwards on her rollerskates, slowly picking up speed. "I'll pack my bikini. See ya, Miss Handler Lady. You too, 40 year-old virgin. I hope your other hand doesn't fall off before morning," she added, making a lewd gesture as she disappeared out the door.

5. halisme

Episode 2 - Corpse Collection - Rio
    There was a gentle hum inside the tight cabin of the aircraft. Each of the operatives was strapped into a seat, their weapons and tools placed in lockers next to them. The entire craft was designed with a sense of minimalism, the interior being bare metal or dark grey plastic, all of it lit with stark white LEDs that gave it a harsh, clinical appearance. Though it was a clinical craft. The Tactical Insertion Aircraft (TIA for short) was designed to insert small teams into specific areas quickly, being undetectable by radar or other means of electronic detection. Eyes were still good though, so long as it wasn't going at top speed at a high altitude.

There was a slight flicker on a screen near the door to the cockpit burst into life, static appearing on it for the briefest of moments. It Lawson appeared in the bottom right corner of the screen, with Daedalus appearing in the bottom left. The bulk, however, was dominated by what appeared to be a blueprint of a spire, before their handler's voice popped in. "Alright people, today we're going to learn about biohazard containment." An image of a virus appeared on the screen. "This is PR two oh eight, dash five, developed by XolCorp, one of Icarus's rivals and one of the four major companies in South America. It is, at the moment, one of the most deadly bioweapons to be created, having a long period of time between infection and late symptoms, able to survive in a vacuum, and being near impossible to detect those it has killed due to it appearing, and generally causing the same symptoms as radiation sickness, while also being highly infectious. To say making it was a bit of a dick move would be an understatement.

Anyway, we had an agent inside who was reporting to us on everything about it, hence why we know so much. However, he went dark twenty-four hours ago, but not before sending this message." A text popped up on screen.

Accident in Lab. All floor infected. No way of retrieving sample. Tell Lacey I

"As you can imagine, this is not a good thing, both because we've lost an asset and because we no longer have access to the sample, however, there is another issue. If Xol find out he was one of ours, they can justify attacking us in front of the other corporations, and they are bigger than us. We do not want this to happen. So, your job is to break in, remove the ID chip in his neck and fetch the sample."

6. obi-sem kenobi

obi-sem kenobi Senior Member

Not looking forward to a night on the town with either of his teammates Alexander went to bed early. His performance had been below his expectations and although a lot of it could be blamed on idiotic teammates and lack of coordination he did realise that he had gotten a little rusty. A good night's sleep would at least keep him sharp tomorrow when dying had slightly more serious consequences than a negative remark on his report.

When he got into the craft the next morning he noted, much to his chagrin, that another female member had joined the team. At least she looked a bit more like a normal person than the other two. Nothing like an operative, but sane at least. To his great relieve there seemed to be another man joining them on this mission as well. He looked like a typical dumb grunt, but at least he knew what he was doing. He took a random seat and strapped in. This was going to be a long flight.

So, your job is to break in, remove the ID chip in his neck and fetch the sample.

"Alright, so to some it up: you want us to go into a contaminated area, with little to no protection, to get a sample of that same virus that got loose and the ID chip of your operative. Just so I get this straight, you send an operative on an undercover mission and you put a name tag on him? For fuck's sake Icarus, you're starting to remind me of the old government!"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  7. AnonyMouse

Last night had been very boring, by Kami’s standards. She went to retrieve her gun from Winston --ahem, Wesley, she really needed to try to remember his name-- and then tried to coax him into going out. She dragged him to a bar --literally-- where he downed two shots before tapping out. So she dragged him home --also, literally. He tried to make a move on her when they reached his apartment, and she may have broken his nose. After that, all she remembered is going home, getting drunk solo, and waking up in the closet with a dozen apology texts on her phone. Just a typical night.

The lack of hangover was probably a sign she hadn’t gone at it hard enough. She had a pounding headache for the first half of the flight. But for the latter half, she was sober enough to know she was strapped into a supersonic tin can… and that pissed her off. So, she sat there, like an addict having withdrawals, frequently glancing at her gun, and wishing she could reach it and blow a hole in the wall to liven up this party.

And who were these two new people? One was an older guy. He had the look of an old dog of the military. A soldier. Kami had seen grunts like him enough to know they were only good at two things: shooting and getting shot. Lame. The other was a woman who looked totally out of place. She was wearing a button-up shirt, jacket, and slacks and red-framed glasses. She seemed more like a handler than an operative and didn’t speak a word the entire flight. I’m calling it now, Kami thought. She’s the first to die. I’d bet money on it.

When Lawson spoke up, via video, it came as a relief. Finally! Now let me out of here! Unfortunately, she didn’t like what Lawson had to say.

“For once, I agree with this Loser,” Kami said, with a nod to Alexander. “None of us is equipped to deal with a biohazard!” She began talking faster and faster, clearly getting worked up. “And if finding out whats-his-face is one of us will piss them off, imagine how pissed they’ll be if we actually manage to steal the virus. And what’re we gonna do with it? Take it home, so it can fuck up our spire like it did theirs, ‘cuz I doubt Icarus can contain it any better than the people who made it in the first place! And that’s only if we get it home without killing ourselves, ‘cuz none of us is trained in handling this shit!”

“Incorrect,” the other woman said. She spoke so softly, Kami almost didn’t catch it.

“I’m sorry, but who the hell are you?” Kami said.

“I am Nora. Hello all. It is a pleasure to meet you,” the woman said, adjusting her glasses. “I will handle the containment, if you like.”

“Ohhhhh, so you’re some kind of doctor or scientist or something? This just gets better and better!” Kami said, laughing from somewhere deep in her gut. She pointed at Lawson. “So, now we gotta babysit a scientist while doing all of this? As if having Lizzie wasn't bad enough. Great!”

“That will not be necessary,” Nora said quietly.

Kami glanced at the woman’s weapons locker. There was nothing there except a small caliber handgun and what appeared to be a first aid pouch. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being "holy shit, she's a one-woman-army" and one being "LOL you brought a butterknife," Nora was about a 0.5.

Kami just sighed and shook her head. “We’re all going to die.”

8. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The trip from the spire had been made in silence until Lawson's briefing came through. Jon had preferred it when his teammates were quiet. The man sitting across from Jon had been the first to speak and the first to complain. He was followed in short order by the petite Asian woman who got herself worked up the longer she griped.

Jon leaned back into his chair as the second woman, Nora, spoke up and tried to reassure their companion that she was capable of dealing with the containment. It was an unsuccessful attempt.

It had been late last night when Jon had received the call from Lawson. A retrieval op down in South America needed an experienced hand and he had been the name selected. According to Lawson, some of the team had recently had simulation time together in an effort to gel them as a cohesive unit. Judging by the brief exchange between Alexander and Kami, it had been a resounding failure. Jon wondered if his real job was to play nursemaid between bickering squadmates.

Jon checked the stainless steel Rolex Daytona clasped tightly onto his left wrist, silently willing the time on so they could get this show on the road. He had dressed simply for the op; a pair of navy camos and black combat boots and a short sleeved Spire issue combat jacket were sufficient for his needs. He had a pistol strapped to his hip and a rifle waiting in the locker by his side.

"The Agent on the inside," Jon said to the screen, "If he's still alive are we to bring him back with us?" The answer was likely obvious but you could never be certain with these Corporation types.

9. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

“We’re all going to die.”
    "If we're going to die, Crazy Asia, then it's probably your fault.," Lizzie said dryly. She was in a cranky mood. The last thing she wanted was to be stuck out instead of her lab. She had work to do.

When she heard about the mission a flutter of excitement waved through her. "Lab accidant eh?" she said. "And it's not even my fault."

"The Agent on the inside," Jon said to the screen, "If he's still alive are we to bring him back with us?"

Lizzie moved her eyes up and down Jon's form. The soldier had a build, she thought with appreciation. This mission may not be such a disaster after all.
    "Then you personally are gonna carry him one on one," she said

10. halisme

"Alright, so to some it up: you want us to go into a contaminated area, with little to no protection, to get a sample of that same virus that got loose and the ID chip of your operative. Just so I get this straight, you send an operative on an undercover mission and you put a name tag on him? For fuck's sake Icarus, you're starting to remind me of the old government!"

"Firstly gramps, we have eighteen agents within that Spire alone, and the tag is also capable of sending a signal for when they need extraction. Not putting it in is stupid, and the only reason they'd be able to tell it was us is if they found the frequency used and had someone inside us to check. The Board wants to play it safe on this one so we're taking it before they get the chance. Secondly, I said it takes a long time to take effect, meaning three months. They've had to quarantine two dozen blocks to prevent it from wiping out the tower. We've already got most of a cure worked out thanks to our operative's work, we just need the last few gene sequences. Not to mention that we put filtration masks under your chairs. Just make sure you don't get cut or shot. Not to mention that it's not just the biohazard you're dealing with."

Lawson paused, seeming to suck on her lips as if attempting to say something difficult. "They've got security moving in block through block and purging anyone still alive to contain the infection. They have the cure, but don't see it as cost effective. However, there are two more little hiccups, and I hate that I keep on having to add stuff in. Due to the quarantine, we can't sneak you in. Meaning you're going in hot. Part two is that The Board says you're to do as much damage to Xol's research and manufacturing capabilities as possible. Alexander, Daedulus is uploading their networks passwords and encryptions. Have fun." It then became apparent that they were beginning to slow down.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  11. AnonyMouse

"You had me at 'goin in hot,'" Kami said, while wearing a grin far too big for her face. "So, we get to break stuff? Well, damn, why didn't you just say so? I mean, we're probably still all gonna die, but at least we get to go out with a bang." She made a gesture which was supposed to mimic aiming down the sights and taking a shot. "Bang."

Nora raised her hand.

Kami gave her an odd look. "We're not in school, stupid, you don't have to raise your hand to ask a question. What the hell's the matter with you?"

"Nothing. All vitals are in the green, but your concern is noted. Thank you," Nora said with a slow nod. She calmly lowered her hand and looked to Lawson. "Pardon me, but what is the acceptable level of collateral damage? Breaching the quarantine and releasing the virus when we extract would be the most efficient way to damage Xol's assets. Full contamination would deny them an entire spire, at the cost of only eighteen of our own agents. It is the most mathematically viable solution."

"It's also genocide," Kami said with a shrug.

"Is that... bad?" Nora said curiously.

"On second thought, maybe you are in school," Kami said wryly. "Okay, lesson number one: eighteen lives is greater than a thousand when it's eighteen of your people versus a thousand of theirs. I may not like this asshole," she gestured to Alexander, "but I'd risk my left nut to keep him alive because we're on the same team. Same goes for Sugartits and Soldier Boy over there. Speaking of whom..." she looked to Lawson. "I notice you didn't answer his question. If the agent's still alive, do we drag his ass back with us or put a bullet in his dome and forget everything I just said?"

12. halisme

"I notice you didn't answer his question. If the agent's st"I notice you didn't answer his question. If the agent's still alive, do we drag his ass back with us or put a bullet in his dome and forget everything I just said?"ill alive, do we drag his ass back with us or put a bullet in his dome and forget everything I just said?"

"The Board has not made provisions for bringing him back, not to mention he could be a carrier. Just make sure it looks like it was one of their own that did it, so shoot him the back as if he was running away. As for letting it out on the tower. Don't. Doing so much damage to Xolcorp would do so much damage as to destabilise South America. While the corporations hate each other, they don't want all out war. Not to mention that, if it escaped in a large enough dose escaped, it would do catastrophic damage. The people whose job is to work out shit like this say that the means of insertion we're using should be okay but try not to damage the integrity of The Spire itself. Not to mention that spreading it to the rest of The Spire would render it and more or less useless to us if Icarus decides to take it. And The Board has plans to take it."

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  13. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

"Well, here is Icarus loyalty to you," Lizzie said. Quietly though, treason is never a road you want to work. As the others were talking, she already took out her Toolbox, and began making five gas masks.

You know,
    she heard her IA in her head. Icarus will provide you with masks of their own.

"Yeah, but their equipment never fits properly. Definately won't fit skin-and-bones Crazy Asia over here. Beside, I don't like the colour."

And you know I'm connected to your mind right? You don't have to talk aloud.

"I know. Crazy bitch is sexier." She gave the new soldier boy a sideways glance.

14. obi-sem kenobi

obi-sem kenobi Senior Member

The new girl was... disturbing. If he hadn't been an expert on the field of AI he'd have thought she was an android. Seemed to have everything programmed in but common sense. Not that there was a lot of that going around anyway.

"Alexander, Daedulus is uploading their networks passwords and encryptions. Have fun."

"Having passwords almost takes the fun out of it. Almost. MAIA? Upload the passwords to YOG.0 and probe their current defences."
    "Yes Master. Due to the nature of Xolcorp's research the static firewalls are powerful and would take some time to break if the YOG.0 program didn't give us clearance to pass through them. There's also quite a few layers of actively monitored ICE designed to adapt to cyberattacks, but there is a high probability that the human element to these defences have already been terminated by the virus. Getting in should not prove difficult."
    "Good, start bombarding the patrols with false information the moment we land."

Azata was starting to school the new girl and it Alexander was actually somewhat surprised by her feelings of camaraderie. It was unexpectedly naive of her. He'd expected it from the loyal soldier, but not from the girl that hit him with a railgun trying to take out a target.

Of course Icarus's response was unsurprising, but Lawson's straight face put him on guard. It was good to know that even a crazy teenager with every psychological issue in the book was more concerned about human lives than this level-headed handler of theirs.

15. AnonyMouse

“Yeah… I figured,” Kami muttered under her breath when Lawson said what was to be done with the agent. Kill him, of course. She already knew the answer, but sometimes you just have to ask the question.

“Well, let’s get on with it, then. When’s this thing gonna land and what’s the plan for getting us in? Hell, just gimme my Javelin and let me out. I’ll find my own way in,” Kami said, shrugging off all those silly rules about not compromising the tower’s structural integrity and whatnot. “They pay me to shoot holes in stuff. Why stop now?”

She felt eyes on her and turned to see Nora staring. Kami sighed.

“Okay, what is it now, Creepy?” Kami said. “Something on my face?”

“You are threatening to go off mission,” Nora said. “That is inadvisable.”

“Yeah, going off-mission is kinda my thing,” Kami said smugly. “They pay me for that, too.”

“Well, Miss Azata, I would politely ask that you please refrain from-”

“Ugh, stop being so damn polite. It’s creepy and makes me want to shoot you in the face!” Kami barked at her. “But, okay, okay, here’s the deal. If you and the rest of these knuckleheads can come up with a plan in the next five seconds, I’ll try to stick to it… but I make no guarantees.”

Nora gasped. “Miss Azata, five seconds is not nearly enough time to-”

“A good operative thinks on her feet. Four, three, two...” Kami said impatiently tapping her foot on the floor.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  16. halisme

There was a slight pop as the drawers that held their masks opened, letting them take it and put them on. The TIA came to stop, and the action on the outside began. The craft was at most a dozen metres from the tower, the ramp at the back lowering to reveal the cold steel of the outer layer of the tower. A drill-tipped cable launched from each corner of there the ramp descended from, attaching to the tower and driving themselves through the steel and concrete. After a moment, the steel fell off, landing neatly on the cables and revealing the concrete underneath, followed by a small series of explosions as small charges in the drills went off, causing the concrete to quickly follow. The area was chosen due to its lack of cables and pipes, letting the demolition be relatively clean. "Time for you people to head inside," Lawson stated. "Have fun, but not too much, and remember, if he's alive, make sure he isn't when you leave."

17. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

During the flight Lizzie took out her Toolbox and made six earpieces for the team. Better not repeat the mistakes of the first simulation. They were ready as the masks popped out.

"Ladies, gentleman and computer geek," she said, handing them out. "I present to you our new way of comunication. There's a beacon in each of these peices as well, so that a certain short chick won't blow our heads off and we'll be able to work as something resembling a team. And there's a little surprise in each one, just click the button on the piece if you're in danger and block your ears."

"Time for you people to head inside," Lawson stated. "Have fun, but not too much, and remember, if he's alive, make sure he isn't when you leave."
    "You bet we'll have fun," Lizzie smiled. She put on her mask and put her hand on one of her cables and took out the Darwin 007. It now resembled a Tommy gun, small, auto, but more precise. That was, if the auto-aim system worked this time, of course.

18. AnonyMouse

"Oooh, free stuff. I like free stuff," Kami said as she accepted the earpiece and tucked it into her ear. "Beacon, eh? I guess this means I can't shoot that Loser again..." she muttered under her breath, with a devious little grin, "they'll know it wasn't an accident." She felt eyes on her again. Nora of course. "Damn, it was a joke. Stop lookin' at me like I'm crazy. How the hell did you hear that, anyway?"

"I have very good hearing." Nora said pleasantly. "Pardon me, but how many seconds do I have left-"

"Your five seconds is up, weirdo. No one came up with a plan, 'cuz no one's got one. We're gonna wing it, just like last time," Kami said as she unbuckled herself from the aircraft's seat and went to get her gun from the weapons locker. She began assembling the Javelin. "So, stick close and try not to get shot."

"I have the highest survivability rating of any operative in the company's history, by nearly a hundredfold," Nora said as she unbuckled her belt as well. She stood and stretched, bending forward to touch her toes, then bending over backwards until her head nearly touched the floor. She straightened with a smile. It was eerie, like something out of a psychological horror film. "Getting shot will not be a problem, but thank you for your concern." She took her gun and knife from her locker, tucked them into her waistband, and stood at attention. "Nora, reporting for duty. I look forward to working with you all. Thank you."

"Weirdo," Kami muttered again. To everyone else, she said, "Well, here's some targeting beacons, just like last time. Let's try this again, guys." She dumped a pile of small silver disks on the floor in the middle of the aircraft. "If you need fire support, just press the button and step back. Except for you..." she glanced at Nora. "You step forward."

"You are joking again. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha," Nora said as she picked one up and stufffed it into her pocket. "I am beginning to understand now."