1. jonblonde

jonblonde Member

3 Systems To Improve Your Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jonblonde, Aug 18, 2016.

will post them one at a time in order not to overwhelm / confuse everyone.
    this one is geared towards one's writing routine.
    normally refer to it as the os.
    i like to think of it as an "operating system" or "template," for better managing one's day and how writing is going to play some central part of it.
    this particular system is about embracing organizational skills and getting one's life in order.
    here is how it works:

1. copy / paste into a word-processor and save the document as an "os" template.
    2. each time you begin to write, start by opening this file and updating the appropriate field.
    3. only the items in (parenthesis) are to be changed ... that said, you can, of course, customize this however you wish.

let me know any questions anyone may have and maybe we can improve this together.

thanks

jon

<os(Date)>

<clock>
    +/- | (Writing Time In – Writing Time Out) | (Writing Time Total)
    </clock>

<day>
    +/- | Sunday | do(Daily Routine)
    +/- | Monday | do(Daily Routine)
    +/- | Tuesday | do(Daily Routine)
    +/- | Wednesday | do(Daily Routine)
    +/- | Thursday | do(Daily Routine)
    +/- | Friday | do(Daily Routine)
    +/- | Saturday | do(Daily Routine)
    </day>

<priming>
    - (New Learning / Challenge / Practice #1)
    - (New Learning / Challenge / Practice #2)
    - (New Learning / Challenge / Practice #3)
    </priming>

<legacy>
    - (Lifetime Goal #1)
    - (Lifetime Goal #2)
    - (Lifetime Goal #3)
    </legacy>

</os(Date)>

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Unemployed Autodidact Contributor

It's a bold claim—that of being able to overwhelm / confuse everyone. Such regimentation I'm sure isn't for all of us and that'd include the most hardcore procrastinators; for such attention to documenting one's routine is, in itself, a form of dodging the intended task no? Sorry @jonblonde I prefer to head to my shed at 7 and come out when I've had enough (or need a wee). Good luck though.

Oscar Leigh and EdFromNY like this.
  3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

For all but the most hard-bitten regimentation junkies, I'd give this about three days. Absolutely no room for real life intrusions.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. jonblonde

jonblonde Member

well said, and thanks for the feedback. this may not be for everyone, especially the hardcore procrastinator. that said, i do believe this system, as well as the other two, have helped me improve my own efforts at writing. on the argument of "such attention to documenting one's routine" there are only four fields (clock, day, priming, legacy). the only one that may ask for "routine updating" is the time you "clock-in" to write and the time you "clock-out." this takes less than a minute to do. that said, perhaps now is the best time to ask:

is anyone interested in hearing this?

to be clear, i'm not trying to push this onto anyone. this is just something that i believe has worked for me and that i wanted to share.

thanks

jon

5. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

:-D I love the raw, naked simplicity of that logic.

Oscar Leigh and SethLoki like this.
  6. SethLoki

@jonblonde a good chunk of my day job is that of a developer and if I talk to any other of the professions at work about the detail of my work they go 'glassy-eyed'. It's not that they'd not understand it if they tried, it's the alien-ness of the terminology and a reluctancy to take it on board (because of the mental overhead). I can see you've detailed your routine in a quasi-markup language. Couple that with you mentioning that anyone coming on board is going to need to concentrate and, I suspect you're going to have a small take-up.

Just my humble opinion but to give it a better sell why not make a story of your routine and say how much it has helped you? You could still put the structure down at the bottom of your post (not in bold) or shield it behind a 'spoiler' element. A friendlier approach—and if you say it's working for you then yes, it may well work for other like-minded folks too.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Oscar Leigh and Simpson17866 like this.
  7. jonblonde

jonblonde Member

i really like this idea. it would take some time to do. initially thought that directly discussing with the community would be a better way of going about it than a "static" book approach. but maybe a story is in fact a better medium. does anyone else have thoughts on this? in any case, published a post on my MediaWiki blog today. it touches on one element of the "os." maybe it will convey why i appreciate the systems approach. this is the post -

Prioritize Thy Legacy

if right now,
    an opportunity arose
    to define
    three elements
    of
    one's legacy,
    what would they be?

does it pertain to starting a family?
    helping the community?
    a lifelong creation?

what —
    why —
    how —
    will it become
    some part of this day?

beyond
    the bricks
    one lay daily,
    it is important to
    remember
    the cathedral we are building.
    no waiting.
    start creating

SethLoki likes this.
  8. SethLoki

I like that; I can draw meaning and it encourages me.
    Incidentally, I had the same thought process a few years back now and came to a similar conclusion. My ambition wasn't as grand as yours though. Where you've got a cathedral I'm likely to have a small monument:meh: The sentiment's still there mind and although my routine isn't as ardent as the one you're promoting, it's still a routine and it's providing me some reward.

9. jonblonde

jonblonde Member

this is a good point. everyone has their own routine that works for them. by no means am i suggesting the proposed system is the way. only sharing it on the basis that it's helped me think in more structured terms. (used to be very disorganized) but i get the sense that most on the forum have a writing ritual's that working for them, which is great. (keep improving it!) if anyone is interested in hearing more about this particular routine, let me know.