1. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Inspiration

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by wordwizard, Aug 7, 2008.

I am finally ready to write again. It has been quite awhile since I have even thought about it. Sure I have written plenty of poetry pieces, but I am ready for a story.
    One problem
    I cant think of anything inspiring. I know this is only something I can figure out, but when you guys/gals have lost all inspiration (which I need to stay focused otherwise I give up writing right away) what do you do? What do you look for?
    I am not even sure what type of writing I want to do...fantasy? fiction.....historical fiction?.....no nonfiction...Pretty sure I am not that interesting.LOL

Anyways your "ways to get inspired" tricks are needed. Would love to hear from you.
    Cheers WW

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I'd say don't go consciously looking for it. When you find the right story, it will show itself.

3. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Usually, I just think of random stuff and ideas pop into my mind almost instantly.... Yes, sadly I'm full of ideas. Anyway, when nothing actually comes, I just enjoy nature, and fill myself with nostalgia. It usually works.
    Just relax is really all I'm saying. Inspiration can spawn from anything, but only if you relax and let it flow.

4. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

In the beginning, I needed music but now I feel like I write better without it. As for inspiration, my favorite authors are my inspiration. :)

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Close your eyes for a minute . . . not a moment, a full minute. Reach out in the darkness and touch things around you. Now imagine being blind for life. If you could never "write" again, what would you wish you had written about? Some societal issue? A favorite story line? Maybe a failed romance or loss of a loved pet.

Now, take the fantasy one step further. You have been told you are going to be completely and permanently blind by the end of the year. For now, your eyesight is fine. What would you choose to write about during these last four months?

6. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Maybe this is just me but my life is so crazy I use that for a lot of inspiration. I have been shot at, played sports, been in fights, and made mistakes i wish I could take back. A lot of my stories tend to be "What if's."

Also retellings of things that happened but with a twist. When i was shot at I think, "What if I had a shield," and go from there

7. Alexa

Alexa New Member

I always listen to music, it's my inspiration. Sometimes I just put my playlist on and lay on my bed and listen and things will just come together. That's just me though.

8. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Music, all the way. Lyrics for many songs are so vague, but so descriptive that I can't hardly listen to anything without getting an idea. I finally figured out the motivation for my main villian because of Metallica's "Better than you."

9. tnme22

tnme22 New Member

This isn't what I always do but I did it for an assignment this last school year and I thought it was fun.
    Go to www.foundmagazine.com search through the finds of the day until you find one you like. Then write a story about it. How did that picture/note get to where it was found. Why did the person write/take it. Was anyone else there? What did they think about it?
    Have fun :)

10. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

You guys have some great ideas. thanks so much. I have still yet to find my inspiration but I think with a little relaxing, and music, and looking around with all my senses I am sure something will pop up soon.
    WW

11. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I usually just read the stories of others that are exceptional and suddenly I want to write too.

12. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

Try not to force ideas, I've already discovered that they'll never work.
    Music usually helps me for inspiration or a refreshing walk sometimes helps aswell.
    Watching people may be the best inspiration you'll ever get- try to guess things about them. Where are they going? Do they have a family? What if 'this' happened to them?
    It usually works for me. Good luck

13. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

If you have any strong interests, try finding a book or website with information on them and try learning something you didn't know about your interests before. I find I always get really inspired to write when I learn new things about the things I love to write about.

Wikipedia is a good place, because while you're learning about something you're already interested in, it's easy to go off on a tangent and find yourself learning about something only vaguely related but just as interesting. :D

14. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Wiki has two many tangents. I was there for one quick thing and two hours later i was trying to figure out when the sun went down

15. Rei

Sadly, you're full of ideas? I'm not critisizing, but this is the first time I've ever heard anyone lament that.

16. Ungood

Ungood New Member

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Believe in Yourself

Hope that helps.

17. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

But I must. To much of anything is not a good thing. The overflow of ideas can sometimes be distracting. If I set it aside, I might forget the idea for a while, and when I have a need for it, I can't remember.

18. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

I often find inspiration in the idea of stories untold. This usually comes in the form of historical episodes, like the Revolutionary War. Instead of telling the story of Washington, I tell the story of the foot soldier who became friends with him, or something to that effect. So I guess for you, think of something that happened in the past, and write about the little people whose lives went undocumented, unnoticed. Create those characters in the context of a larger picture. Good luck! :)

19. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I get most of my story inspiration by observing the people around me.... usually random strangers when I'm out and about or at work. :) I usually notice certain things about human behavior or social interaction that sparks an interest and gives me an idea. I also find watching something like the news to be inspiring.

Also, I listen to music. But music is more of an aid when I'm actually sitting down and writing than anything else.

20. Rei

All you need to do is learn how to focus.

21. Bongo Mongo

Bongo Mongo New Member

What sparks your inspiration?

For me it is either listening to a great album, or thinking of a good idea for my story. I already have most of my story planned out so I usually listen to music while I write.

How about you?

22. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

It varies, but I never really know. My current piece was this picture of the Eagle Nebula.

[​IMG]

In the end, my story isn't even about space (which it was originally going to be) but this is what got the ideas jumping around in my head, that's for sure.

23. Azkadellia

Azkadellia New Member

My inspiration usually comes from reading the work of another - reading well put together sentences that create imagery. I was reading Hans Christian Andersen last night, which got my creative juices flowing!

sweetchaos' photo really is a great source of inspiration too!

24. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

My inspiration comes mainly from other people - The survivor, the lover, the widow, the sick, the wealthy, the evil. Ordinary people doing extraordinary things inspire me.

Second to that would be the obvious - other books and music but I've found lately I require complete silence to write, which is a real pain because I used to love listening to music.

25. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

Anything at all. You can get inspiration from anything. Just looking at people while you're out and about can inspire great characters and story plots. For instance, last weekend at Albertson's I started to think what it would be like to have this weird guy come in at the same time every day, and what his story would be. As I was going home last night, I saw a man using his laptop, and thought about what he might be doing there.

Nice pic sweetchaos.