Tags:
  1. Steak-Ums

Steak-Ums New Member

So Dumbledore is gay...but who cares?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steak-Ums, Oct 21, 2007.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I for one don't.
    I never liked Harry Potter as I felt it stole ideas off other things, like Lord of the Rings and Chronicals of Narnia.

3. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

I was talking about this to my husband last night, and he thinks its hysterical. Anything to stick it to religious rights people who hate the Harry Potter series, makes Chris laugh. But, I don't see the big deal with the news that Dumbledore is gay. I don't think it matters if he is gay or not, but I don't think sexuality matters in a children's book...

Lemex, I understand what you mean however I don't think Harry Potter is like either one of those series. If anything J.K. rowling stole the character from a Neil Gaiman comic book published by DC comics, called "The books of magic"

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

two things.

1.) what is with the whole "she stole this thing"? it is pathetic. any one who has ever wrote before has stole from other people, i do it all the time, everyone does. it is what happens when writing, an idea gets passed down and down and altered slightly every time. there was no stealing involved, just taking an idea and making it her own.

2.) i never knew he was gay me like. ok, no, it doesn't matter particuarly, but it adds to the charector i tihnk, perhaps explaining a little bit more about things, such as why he was so interested in that guy and why he never got married ect. it is something that, yes, we didn't need to know, but Rowling would have known as she was writing him and it will be important to her as it is part of her charector. i know when i make my charectors i think about everything to do with them, from their sexuality to how they style their hair on a wednesday, it all adds to it and makes you feel closer to them.

still, came as a shock. :p

5. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

i agree, however the similarities between harry potter and the neil gaiman book are pretty blatant.....but i'm not saying i don't enjoy the books.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Every writer has influences, both literary and experiential. I'm nos sure what C.S. Lewis' influences were, but Tolkein based much of his world on northern European mythology.

Harry Potter has borrowed from other fantasy influences, but there is a great deal, even apart from the characters themselves, that is original with Jo Rowlings.

7. rml8607

rml8607 New Member

Timothy Hunter — a bespectacled English teenager with family troubles, a scar on his forehead and who has a magical owl as a pet — and the later and more famous Harry Potter.

Tim Hunter

I guess it doesn't matter what I think since Neil Gaiman has publicly said that he doesn't care whether or not Rowling "borrowed" some stuff.

But, no more arguing. I'm done :)

8. Heather Louise

yea, as always you can link something to something thta has allready been written. same as when i read last weeks horoscopes i convince myself that they were true. you bend things to make them fit, it is as if you want to accuse them of stealing something.

either way, they are amazing books, the stroylines and everything very origional and she is a brillaint story teller.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There have been times when I'd read something, and afterwards think, "If I started with that premise, I'd take it in a different direction."

But it also is not hard to believe that two English fantasy writers would independently come up with similar story elements.

10. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Back on topic...

Honestly, I'm completely thrilled he's gay. That just made my night (I'm a Harry Potter freak...).

I'm not thrilled that Dumbledore specifically was gay (I was actually rooting for Sirius), but I'm glad that JKR can extend her ideas and themes of tolerance to all spectrums, and that she made the protagonist's greatest idol even more controversial.

On a somewhat more fangirl-ish note, Grindelwald was pretty hot, and I'd swing for him too. :p

11. Heather Louise

hahaa,, who do you know what he looks like?? and yea,, i bum the Harry Potter books aswell,, it is fun :p and yea, it is cool that she can experiment and be open minded with things like people being gay. i know it is not something perhaps relevant in a children's book, but if it were not menitoned in any children's book and stuff, how are they ever going to get used to the idea of gay people?? i mean, unless sexuality is mentioned we automatically assume the person to be straight which is very narrow minded. i tihnk it was clever of her to make him gay, or perhaps he made himself gay, as charectors can do.