Tags:
  1. Anomally

Anomally New Member

Favourite Character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Anomally, May 15, 2008.

So, when I'm writing, I usually latch onto one of my characters, and think of them as my favourite. I was just wondering if anyone does the same thing. Who's your favourite character? Why do you think you chose that person?

In the current story I'm writing, my definite favourite is a British guy called Geoffery. He's the best friend of the main character, David, and much more daring. He's a trickster and a prankster, and can be downright malicious sometimes, but he's good at heart and genuinely protective of his younger friend. I think I like him because he isn't bound by niceties. He's blunt, and very clear about whether he considers someone his friend or not. He isn't as constricted by his personality and moral values as David is.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

My favourite character is one I came up with a long time ago, but haven't actually fitted into a story yet. It might sound odd, but I guess I am.

His name is Benedict Valentine, a "human" rendered immortal after an experience with a demonic possession, and some holy water. Intelligent, quiet, and with a gift for seeing potential situations and ramifications of actions, he has lost interest in life after two millennia without dying, and being resurrected three days after being killed, and is very cynical about everything (sound familiar :p).

3. MumblingSage

MumblingSage New Member

My heart in on the shores of Gitchee-Gume, my body
    I have a favorite character for some period of time, then I start liking another one, then another, etc. Normally my 'favorite' characters are the ones I find easiest to write--they have a good POV or get in on a lot of action. More rarely, I create a character that I never write but keep around for fun, imagining stories about them. Then I'm tempted to fit them into a story...

4. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

The main character of my novel is my favorite. I accidentally created him when I was eight years old in an AOL role-play chat room. He has evolved a lot since then, but in pretty much the same ways I have. We share a lot of the same faults. I don't know...don't think I'm ever going to be rid of him.

5. Sayuri

Sayuri New Member

Baldwin IV of Jerusalem... He's a historical figure--and I do historical fiction--so he's not mine, I didn't make him up, but I'm so in love with him that were he alive today I would be emotionally unfaithful to my fiance.

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Oohhh, yes...all the time. I don't so much get one favorite though as shift continually through different favorites...I think many of my characters are favorites for different reasons. So I can't really pick one. At various times, for various reasons, different ones will come to the forefront in my mind.

I won't bother going over which ones are favorites because 1. it's always changing and 2. nobody here would have any idea who I'm talking about so it'd seem like I'm just touting my work.

7. Smithy

Smithy New Member

Like Darkthought, my favourite is also my main character. His name is Michael and he is the easiest character in the story to write for. I don't know why I like him so much, because he is the sort of person I would be absolutely terrified by in real life, but I let him get away with murder. Literally.

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Are you sure it's not just Edward Norton you're in love with? :p

9. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice. I don't think I can ever create a character that surpasses her in wit and bravery, such a delight to read and fell in love with her personality instantly.

Moving on. . .
    Yes, when I'm writing I do find comfort with one specific character and tend to associate myself with them. I started to write a modern day fairy tale a couple of months ago, which is thankfully in the closet, and Shane was a character I simply adored. I love characters that are mysterious and secretive, they are the most fun to write.

10. Mousie

Mousie New Member

My favorite character is probably Jordan Beasley, who I haven't been able to fit into an actual story yet, but oh well. He's a vampire, but he's really nerdy and whiny and wimpy. I think I like him because he's really easy to write - probably because he's more of a dork than I am :D

11. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I have a tie. One of my favorites is Shyana Wren, a famous African vampire businesswoman with a very cynical outlook on life. On the other side of the spectrum I have Parker Kingston, the wisecracking, average kid who is basically me, except he's currently trying to stop the apocalypse (which is in ten days.)

12. Sayuri

Sayuri New Member

ROFL! Nah, I love 'em both. It's been years and years since I've seen Kingdom of Heaven, but Ed Norton only recently started stealing my heart in most roles he's in. Eric Bana, does, too.

You know what's funny is that I think it may have been Baldwin that made me love Ed Norton, just as it was Hector who made me love Eric Bana (who before Troy I couldn't care less about). Same with Ed Norton--Primal Fear, who cares? I had a crush on Hector when I was 12 years old and read The Iliad (or some dumbed down prose version of it), no lie! Baldwin's more recent, I think that was college.

If I saw a brilliant performance of Jane Eyre's Mr. Rochester, I have no doubt I'd fall in love with that guy, too. :D

Surely I'm not alone, right? Doesn't anyone else get crushes on characters and historical figures in books? OK, maybe I'm weird... :p

13. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

My favorite right now is probably a guy named Leon. He's not quite right in the head--no specific mental illness; he's just plain messed up--and thinks the best thing he can do in life is to become the greatest villain the world has ever known. He's very smart and capable, just... morally skewed. He commands a vast army of minions inherited from his father and uses it to do his bidding. Oh, and he is the main character of a comedy story, so he's not actually too bad a guy. He thinks he is, he wants to be, but he's not.

14. Al B

Al B New Member

How can you possibly admire Baldwin IV? He was a complete war-mongering machiaevellian scumbag. The Muslims nicknamed him 'the pig', and with good reason. Are you sure you're not thinking of the fictionalised portrayal of him in the movie, The Kingdom of Heaven? If you are, that has about as much resemblance to the truth as Goldilocks and the three bears.

Al

15. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I have a lot of favourite characters. Neville Longbottom, Samwise Gamgee, I think these sidekicks spice up the story, and without them the Main MC wouldn't have achieved their objectives, if you take my meaning.

16. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I'm very, very fond of Ulirch Horn and Valentine Fenris from my The Book of the Moon. Olivia, Urban, and Nathaniel North make a honorable mention there as well.

I really fell in love with 003 "Hannibal" and 002 "Saladin" from my 003 too but there isn't much I can do with them since their story is concluded at the end of 003 so they sort of feels like the one hit wonders.

By far my favorite character of my own is Leon from The Seven Sorrows, which has been in limbo for forever... I'll get back to that one someday...

For characters not of my own making I love Blade, The Punisher, Tony Stark, John Rambo, Richard B. Riddick, Spartan-117 Master Chief, Achilles, V, Col. Jack O'Niel, Cloud Strife, Cpt. Pickard, Alice (Twilight series), James Bond, Jason Bourne, Indiana Jones, Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Darth Revan, The Major (Ghost in the Shell), and Mr. Clark.

My all time favorites are a tie between my own Leon, and San (from Princess Mononoke).

17. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

For me, it's the main character in the novel I'm currently working on. He was actually a character from another novel I began in December, but I liked him so much I decided to scrap my other storyline and write about him instead. He's a 13-year-old, Obsessive-Compulsive New Yorker called Leo. He's pretty much based on me emotionally, even though as far as appearance, gender and nationality goes he's my total opposite. I think that's the reason I've bonded with him.

18. she who sleeps

she who sleeps New Member

There are a couple characters that I like in my current two stories that I'm working on: Gabe, an intelligent and cynical guy who's dying from this fatal childhood disease, his friend Steffi, who's mildly eccentric and likes Fangoria movies, and Alice, a wheelchair-bound girl who can quote classic lit at the drop of a hat.

As far as pre-existing characters go, I don't really attach to single characters in books so much, unless you count the twins in the Harry Potter series. My horizons in widely-known books and movies aren't very wide.

I guess as far as favorite characters go, you like them because you admire them, or that they remind you of yourself in some way. The opposite is also true: you may be jealous of their good qualities, or they may resemble you so completely that they make you see flaws in yourself.

19. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

I'm pretty sure their talking about the movie portrayal, but man that is a mouthful for one king.

Food for thought: Machiavelli wasn't a Machiavellian. Ponder it. :p

20. kisonakl

kisonakl New Member

Hmmmm....tie for first with Desmond Hume and Ben Linus from LOST.

Ben is badass and a manipulative genius who's been screwed by fate, and Desmond is a Scottish time traveller separated from his love.

21. jps117

jps117 New Member

Lake Highlands Area, Dallas, Texas, United States
    Mine is definitely either Bean (Julian Delphiki) or Ender (Andrew Wiggin) from Orson Scott Card's Ender Series.

22. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Well, as far as writing a character and favoring them...I do it, often. Once I had to cut my favorite character from a story...the favoritism began to show. It was sad...but I had no choice. Now, I am currently developing him for a fresh new drama I'm sketching out.

23. Marloy

Marloy New Member

The character that I have created that I love the most is one I created while ago and is in my current writing at the moment named Raphael. He is a humorous type of guy who uses his whimsy to take away the pain of past events that trouble him - very deeply - and tends to avoid confiding in anyone. I get a bit obsessive with his pale blue eyes. He's very hard and difficult to get through on the outside, but as I go further in the story and he becomes closer to my main character, his layers open up and he is a deeply compassionate guy and a really big softie.

I find when I get favorites (which I don't choose intentionally) I relate with them better than anyone else in the story and channel the emotion that I feel into them more than the other characters, and begin to get closer to their personality even more. I also find that this can be pretty difficult when I write about them in first person and they're not the main character! I'll probably change that. :p

24. Trollhammaren

Trollhammaren New Member

Possibly Val, the owner of The Hangman, because he's so rude to people, but in a good way, and he's also pretty heroic and canny. I also like Lekan, who I haven't written in yet, as he's such a bloody smart-arse. I like him a lot.

25. Kratos

Kratos New Member

The topic's about if you have a favorite character that you wrote. But, Bean is pretty awesome.