1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

4th of July

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by aimi_aiko, Jul 3, 2011.

So, I'm sitting (no, actually lying) on my bed and thinking about tonight. Tonight is going to consist of a lot of explosions, sparks, colors, and deafness. :) I'm pretty much going to spend time with my sister and dad while we let off fire works and invite the neighbors to sit out with us. The 4th of July has been just that for several years now. I've only been to a couple big places to see the huge ones, but most of the time I'm home on this holiday.

What are your plans for that day? (or today, or a few days ago...depending on your schedual)

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

My family and I watched fireworks last night and had s'mores. We'll be doing the same thing tonight. I love the 4th. :D

3. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

We don't celebrate it in England, but because i'm in Germany with quite a few American friends we're having a BBQ.

4. Gigi_GNR

I love BBQ. Ribs and rare steak, yum. :D

5. Daydream

Yeh same! But since we're in Germany I think it will be something more along the lines of Bratwurst and Weisswurst with some Hefeweizen Beer xD

6. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

We're having a family reunion/barbeque at our house tomorrow. We almost always have a family reunion on the 4th but this is the first year my parents have hosted it. My mom's going a bit overboard with the decorations. :p
    We rarely set off fireworks, but I'm sure someone nearby will.

7. Gigi_GNR

Sounds like a Wisconsin BBQ too! :D

8. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I live in Tx which means drought, which means no fire works, which means some idiot is going to break the rules and start a fire in one of the fields has happen eight years in a row
    last one was two inches form our house
    Not happy for the 4th

9. Vespers

Vespers New Member

Lol, don't celebrate it in England... OF COURSE NOT!

"Hurray, ole' chap! They've officially broken away from us and beat us in a war! Lets celebrate with some tea and crumpets."

My apologies for the stereotyping-- purely for humor's sake.

10. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Ummm.... :p :p :p LOL!

Yesterday I went to a HUGE BBQ and played badmitton for so many hours my arm is now dead. Lifeless. LOL. And I'm majorly sunburned :D Watched a bunch of fireworks, had a great time. Was there from 3 in the afternoon til 1am.

Tonight having a small barbecue here at home, ribs (with my homemade BBQ sauce), corn on the cob, baked beans, etc. Then a bonfire and s'mores! Someone near me will set off fireworks I'm sure.

Happy 4th everyone!

11. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

We had the BBQ yesterday.

Tonight everyone is having Rosemary chicken.

While I have rice and soy chiziro.

12. Lavender Soda

Lavender Soda New Member

I'm probably not going to do anything.

13. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

As long as it doesn't rain tonight like it did last night, I'll be able to sneak a peek at some fireworks. Other than that, I'm not doing anything either. Knitting...that's about it.

14. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Man I remember when I was a kid, like every corner store had fireworks for sale, and I could blow them up in the streets with no one caring, now I'd be busted; guess a lot of people were blowing off their fingers.

15. Daydream

Just got back from a really nice BBQ followed by marshmellows ^^

16. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Unfortunately I had to drive back to campus today. I have class early tomorrow morning. I watched the Macy's fireworks presentation from New York City on the television though. :)

I will have to have double the fun next year when I am home. Every year my hometown puts on the biggest festival in the central area of the state. It kicks off with a two-hour parade, and after the parade everyone heads to the center of town where a whole bunch of fun things are set up. Musicians are playing all day on the lawn, and there are a whole bunch of booths set up selling food (carnival style or from local restaurants), thrifty clothes, jewelry, and services like henna tattoos, hair coloring, face-painting, and more. A few games are set up for tweens and teens, like a rock-climbing wall and a massive water balloon fight zone. And kids of all ages wear bathing suits and play in the big fountains all day. Usually the city is pretty uptight about leash laws, but on this day people will even let their dogs play in the fountains and run around on the lawn. It's perhaps an unsanitary day, but it sure is a lot of fun. :) We would always conclude the day with watching the fireworks go off from Main Street listening to music synchronized on our iPods, and we ourselves were lit up with all the free glowsticks people passed out. And then when I got a bit older, after the fireworks, we'd go and set off our own fireworks and finish with sometimes-drunkenly blowing up a trashcan with a few Roman Candles. ;)

17. Gigi_GNR

S'mores and fireworks 3 days in a row. I'd call this a good weekend. :D

18. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Just got back from the fireworks display the city has every year. I haven't been down there in like 5 years or more. I used to love going to them as a kid and fireworks... I mean how often do kids get encouraged to play with fire and explosives? [​IMG]

It was fun and I forgot just how loud those things can be. Once it was done there was so much smoke you couldn't see across the river and the whole area was just covered by it.

It was just fun. :)

19. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

The family cat just died on 4th of July.

Misses now insist I stop hiding him and bring him out. How do you express to another cat the other cat won't be coming back?

20. Vespers

Vespers New Member

I lit an unholy amount of fireworks and sparkles last night. I still have spots in my vision when I close my eyes, and my fingers are all a bit singed, but nonetheless, it was worth it.

On a less enjoyable note, the biggest dog I've ever seen (a bull-mastiff) decided to take a vacation from guarding the gates of Hades and attempt to viciously devour me as I was leaving my girlfriend's house to go back home. I narrowly escaped by diving into the passenger seat of my car and climbing over the center-console into the driver's seat. I should have just run the infernal beast over...

For your viewing pleasure, a large bull-mastiff:
    [​IMG]

21. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

What kind of car do you drive? It looks like trying to run it over would just have messed up your car. ;)

22. Vespers

Vespers New Member

A Toyota Avalon. The front paper is almost indestructible and is made of solid steel. I only know this because in a fit of rage in my senior year of high-school, I rammed the back of someone's car who was giving me the finger for no apparent reason. I knocked his bumper off and didn't even dint mine.

23. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

LOL :D I feel your pain.

One of my neighbors Bull Mastiffs decided to go after my kids yesterday while they were playing in the front yard. She was abused and doesn't like kids. Luckily my big boy, Judge (who is significantly larger than both of their mastiffs) was out of the shed he was sleeping in, over the fence (he CAN jump it... I KNEW IT!) and had her pinned to the ground six feet from the kids before I could even get up and off the porch. He's superdog. He's awesome. He had steak for dinner :D (And for the record he didn't hurt her, just kept her submitted til the neighbors came and got her).

EDIT: For the record though, the pic your showing appears to be an English Mastiff - they can reach well over 200 lbs, while Bull Mastiffs generally max out around 100-130, but can reach 150 lbs. Height wise though, that's definitely an English, not a Bully. Don't know which you were chased by, both are intimidating :)

24. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I. WANT. THAT. BULLMASTIFF.

What an adorable "little" buddy. :)

25. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I spent the fourth with family boating around in the bay.

It was hella fun. :D Got sunburnt a bit on my left shoulder, BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!!!