1. dropkicker

dropkicker New Member

Careers and Future Aspirations

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dropkicker, Apr 1, 2010.

Hey guys, so besides being an author, what are other careers you hope to embark on?

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I would really like to get paid for being a musician.

3. dropkicker

dropkicker New Member

Cool, personally for me, I don't know what I want to become. I simply am interested in just too many things. If I had to choose one, it might be to become a mortician actually.

4. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I think i'd like to be a journalist, but not so much a reporter. The kind that writes interesting/humorous articles, or has a column to write every week. I could get used to being paid for that, definately.

I know for sure that I want to earn money from writing, both in terms of a career, and in the persuit of becoming an author.

5. CalliopeCalls

CalliopeCalls New Member

My plans is to become an English teacher... yeah, I know, very original. But really, it's something I've always envisioned myself being happy with. Some of the most influential adults in my teenage years were my English teachers. It feels as though English teachers wield a certain amount of power to shape and nurture youth that many other subjects' teachers do not - literature has the power to show us the world and make us understand it, and writing allows us to show ourselves to the world and make it understand us. My English teachers gave me that, and it's given me the greatest tools I have to deal with the bs of modern living. I care a lot about future generations and I see literature dying out with year passing - I don't want reading and writing to become marginalized and devalued. I hope that by becoming an English teacher I can convince generations after me of the worth of the literary world.

I would love to write, and be published, and in an ideal world, have my published works be read. But more than that, I just want people to keep reading and writing at all.

6. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Um.
    I'd like to run an orphanage.

/isn't weird.

7. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I want to be a property developer, buying the ruins and rennovating them, then selling them to expatriate families who want to return. There's already something there to build upon, so planning permission is a lot easier to obtain, and as it's ruined, the property will be cheap. I'd also buy islands to stop them being snapped up by foreigners who use them for their own personal pleasure, and loan money to community buy-outs.

8. arron89

arron89 Banned

Plan is to become a curator/art dealer. London 2013 for my Masters degree, then the world :D

9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I have a fascination with the law and politics (don't hate me). I'm not skeevy, so I don't know how well I'd be cut out for a job in politics, but if all goes well, WF.org may have its annual reunion in the White House. ;)

And also I want to be a photojournalist. Kinda like Ash's idea, getting paid to do stuff like that, except mine has pretty pictures. :)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've been an 'author' for decades and don't do anything for money any more, so i give away all of my writings, which are meant to enlighten others, not earn me a living...

i've been a wife of 2 [not at the same time] and mother of 7 [all singles, no twins], am a grandmother to 19 at last count... have also been a writing consultant, freelance writer, architectural designer, political organizer, contractor and construction superintendent, seamstress, clothing and costume designer, secretary, office worker, doctor's office manager, rooming house owner/runner, global house and pet-sitter, world traveler, among other things...

as for future 'careers' that doesn't apply to this 71-yr-old who now just does whatever's dropped in my lap, as long as it's useful to others...

11. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    It always amazes me when you brief us on your life story, Maia. I don't know how you managed to have so many cool jobs, get married twice, and raise seven children....your life must've been like a hurricaine :eek:

Too much for me i'm afraid!

12. NewBee

NewBee New Member

Way to go Maia! Any suggestions on raising three kids, 4 years, 1 year, and 1 month... would be plenty useful. How on earth did you keep 7 happy all at the same time? WILD :)

As for careers I'm into a bit of everything right now... In the future I would love to flip a house, own and operate a farmers market, even dabble in construction.
    (I can't walk in heels... I only dress up when I have to).

13. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

A science teacher, preferably. Not at the college level, but anywhere else. I like kids, I like science, I love to teach. Win-win. When you consider only me, that is. Which makes one wonder who the other win is for. . . .

14. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

You're a superb woman Maia. I can only hope I have done half of all that by the time I'm 71.

As for the future, being an author has never really been an option for me-not in the positive sense. I can't dig my heels and write except if I want to be a married woman dependant on her husband not sure if she has enough talent to go on. Being a student here is all about Science. Unless you're a below average student-or in exceptional cases.

I'm hoping to get my B-Tech in the next 4-5 years, an MBA the next two and then an M.Sc. I'll probably turn out as a mechanical engineer-which my father disapproves of because he believes it's too tough for girls, wanting me to pursue Civil instead. I might end up as an Indian Administrative Officer before this because it's what Papa wants me to be. Or follow my dreams into the business world. Everything about business excites and challenges me. I want to get into the nuances of the corporate cum engineering side of ship building, learn everything about import-export, buy diseased companies-revive them or break them into small profitable units that are enough to make make money as well as provide improvement. It's the thing that keeps me focused.

*Shrug* Too ambitious I know. Other that that, i want to do everything else-roam the world as a language interpreter, design houses, interior decorate, fashion design...probably I might succeed-not because of talent though, lol, more likely thanks to the inability to keep hobbies.

15. Gigi_GNR

Maia, you get my R-E-S-P-E-C-T! :D

That is one cool life, seriously. *is jealous*

:)

16. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

After I get out of the air force (4+ years away, although I'll probably decide to stay longer), I want to move out to west Texas and... be a rancher. AKA a cowboy. It's an impractical and strange dream, but I think about it all the time...

17. Gigi_GNR

That is so cool, MC!!! :D

*imagines Walker Texas Ranger-esque setting*

18. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

There's this idea in my head that I might want to teach little kiddies, but nothing certain yet...

19. Gigi_GNR

I'll marry into money and fame and become a model.

Just kidding ;) (although the modeling thing might be cool, i'm not saying i COULDN'T, i probably won't.....)

I'll go into photojournalism/politics/law/writing.

And Lyd, you would be good with kids. :)

20. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, I work now in the profession to which I was attracted since childhood.

I work as an interpreter.

I had a childhood that was strangely filled of contact with many different languages and the phenomenon of language has always held an intense fascination for me.

It's not a very glamourous job. It's nothing like was portrayed by Nicole Kidman in the movie The Interpreter. Her involvement with her clients would have had her stripped of credentials in a heartbeat. There are private interpreters who might tell stories of intrigue, but not professional public interpreters.

Anyway. My job lets me work from home which has all kinds of plusses. I think I put no more than 700 miles on my car last year. :)

21. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I've always thought I'd be a teacher because i love little kids, though as of the past year or so I've kind of moved away from that idea.

Instead I've found myself drifting towards the field of computer graphics, advertisting, animation, film editing, movie CG, that kind of stuff :) I've gotten really into the whole graphic design thing. Though we'll have to see how it goes since alot of those types of jobs are really all based in California and i don't exactly want to leave home plus some of them get pretty cut throat and I'm not really that kinds of person...though it's also physically impossible to avoid workplace politics too no matter where you go...

I guess we'll just have to see where life lands me :)

22. Gigi_GNR

I really wanna travel the world. Kinda like a "Where the hell is Matt?" thing. Dancing included. :D

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ash...
    more like a neverending series of hurricanes, tornados and tsunamis!... and when one has little to no choice in the matter, you just get through them the best you can, so it's not a matter of 'too much'... ;-(

bee...
    my first 5 were born within 5 years, are now 51, 50, 49, 48, 47... and it's impossible to keep them all 'happy' at the same time... the best you can do is keep them alive and healthy... besides, it's not a good idea to give kids the idea that they have to be happy all the time, if they're to survive in the real world... feel free to email me if you ever need any advice, or just a caring shoulder and ear...

neha...
    don't know about 'superb'... i just label myself 'weird' and let it go at that... ;-) ...as for doing so much, just always be aware of all that comes your way and use as much of it that will benefit your life and your loved ones, as you can...

gigi...
    thanks for the all-caps spellout... and yeah, despite the downsides, it's been cool t'the max... still IS, with me doing all that i'm doing now, in this oddball place where i'm doing it!!!

love and hugs to y'all, maia

24. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

On the subject of cool future careers, I attended a conference recently and the speaker gave out stats (from USA) which indicated a 26% increase in jobs in the multimedia art sector up to 2019 i.e. it's become one of the highest job sectors in the western world. Good to hear, since it's looks like we'll be paying for my daughter to study Visual Communications Design after she graduates high school this summer unless she gets a scholarship. I get so tired of people 'advising' me not to encourage my kids to study anything arts-related.

Some people have such an incredible amount of energy they can change career track, do more than one demanding job at once, or keep on going for ever. My mother was an interpreter, then got a teaching degree, then a Master's and Phd, then qualified as a lawyer, went on to do the Notary exams in both the UK and France, and is still going strong at the age of 71. As for me, I'm longing to retire when I meet the number of days requirement (3 more years), and then I devoutly hope I'll be able to work from home giving private lessons and writing. I just hate spending most of my life in a classroom or office.

25. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I want to be either a professional organizer (yes, it's a real career...Joel doesn't think so, but it is) or a librarian.

1 person likes this.