Tags:
  1. kyelena2

kyelena2 New Member

NaNoWriMo 2012

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by kyelena2, Oct 13, 2012.

Is anyone participating in NaNoWriMo this year!?
    What are your thoughts?
    How are you preparing this year?

2. Kectacoco

Kectacoco New Member

I think NaNoWriMo sounds lovely, but my semester will be quite rough by November. Nearly finals, there'll be projects due and presentations to give. That doesn't mean I'm not going to give it a shot though. I've been preparing by getting in the habit of writing every day; even if it isn't part of the same body of work.

Kudos to anyone who actually has the time management skills to seriously participate while working or taking classes. :D

3. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

Is anyone participating in NaNoWriMo this year!? I plan on it.
    What are your thoughts? Nothing really. I participated and "won" in 2008. It was a lot of fun and I've never written that way before...just jamming out a story without looking back at what I had previously written. Not the way I usually write and wouldn't ordinary. It was fun going back to re-read it after.
    How are you preparing this year? I'm not really. I am sort of thinking about a story I have in mind a little bit. A few months back I had a fun, super hero like dream, so I figured I'd write that out. Nothing I'd ever share or try to publish, but I don't write for the sake of trying to get published anyway.

4. GHarrison

GHarrison Member

I'll be participating, too.

To prepare, I have been compiling a very sparse but long outline for it (which is allowed by th rules btw).

1700 words written consistantly for each of the 30 days? Luckily I have a week of vacation in that month.

GL,

5. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I'm going to give it a bash for the first time, to kickstart a story I've been procrastinating over for far too long. Doubt ill get the full word count done in time as work is pretty busy, but I'll just aim for as much as I can.

6. kyelena2

kyelena2 New Member

I just found out about it this year, actually a week ago. I've been looking through the forums and basically just getting to know how everything works. :) I'm so excited about meeting other authors and designers. I'm going to be working on the second book in the series I'm writing. Excited to see how it turns out!
    Here is my link if you're looking for a writing buddy : http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/kyelena2

Kectacoco: I understand being busy with school and work. I'm going to attempt it this year and see how it goes.

Steph4136: Wow! Congrats on your "Win". It's a challenge for sure. I have never attempted something like this. I am amazed by your accomplishment.

GHarrison: Nice! Detailed outline sounds like a great way to start. I've got a long list of ideas for the novel. I find that when I write an outline I deviate majorly. haha. Perfect time for a vacation!

prettyprettyprettygood: Sounds like a great plan!

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Gadzooks. Looks like I'm doing it this year. It seems I signed up last year but didn't do it. I don't remember signing up, but my username and email were already there.

Anyway, I plan to cheat lots and still not finish. But it will train my ass to stay in my chair for long periods of time. And I hope it will train my fingers to not hover motionless over the keyboard as I blankly wonder what the next sentence should be.

8. blue0impulse

blue0impulse New Member

This year I'm preparing my plot and characters so I can effectively fill out the pages to my novel without having so many gaps between posts. My last experience with NaNoWriMo wasn't that great considering I was going through so much emotional stress at the time. It's fun to write out main points and ideas ahead of time and seeing how the plot goes into print. I also watch movies and shows to see what kind of elements I may want to use in my story. I wish everyone the best of luck and millions of cups of coffee.

9. Rose Hunt

Rose Hunt Member

I was thinking about it. I do have my writing for college, and I'm writing a story right now, but still considering it. I've tried in the past, but never finished. I was going through some personal things, and lost the get up and go for it.
    Good luck to anyone trying!

10. JonSpear360

JonSpear360 Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  11. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Participating, but not expecting to win. Have exams and term papers to write. I managed to win both camp nanos though (got nothing better to do during summer), so I’m a bit more hopeful than I was last year. Wrote a whooping 6000 words…

12. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I think I'm going to do the NaNo Rebel thing that I thought of too late last year: I'm going to try to _blog_ fifty thousand words in November.

This matches better with my personal writing goals. I don't know if I want to be a fiction or nonfiction writer. And my perfectionism isn't about writing, it's about which writing I let people see--that's the point where I self-edit and throw stuff away and ignore the deeper, more emotional stuff that I might want to be writing.

So instead of writing a bunch of fiction that (probably) no one ever sees, I'll be writing a bunch of mostly nonfiction that people will see--and I will be pushing a regular writing habit.

(Edited to add: Wow. I just wrote a 1900 word blog post. If this were NaNoWriMo, I'd be doing OK today.)

13. Kectacoco

Kectacoco New Member

From what I understand it isn't whether you win or not, just that you participated. I'm sure it'll work out either way.

Okay then: I wish you "Good luck!"

Oh, I hadn't noticed this before: The NaNoWriMo site wants people to sign-up when they actually participate. I may have to do that. :p

14. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I am also participating this year for NanoWrimo.

15. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

I just signed up. I've never done anything like this before...

16. kyelena2

kyelena2 New Member

minstrel: I love your humor. Welcome to the challenge this year! :)
    blue0impulse: What kind of movies do you enjoy? I hope this year proves more enjoyable for you! Are you using interview type questions for each character, or listing ideas/characteristics about them?
    Rose Hunt: I'm glad to hear you are attempting the task again! I'm not sure yet how I'm going to keep my chin up during this process, but I thought about using an index card flip book as a day to day calendar and placing something that makes my mind think (like a poem, article, or pictures) on each day.
    JonSpear360L That is a lot of work you participate in. I'm not sure what the script frenzy is, but the name is enticing. I found you on the site, and I wish you only the best during November!
    spklvr: Wow! Congrats on your wins! :) Education definitely comes first, but I figure if I'm enjoying it, I'll continue. Always love supporting others in their journeys, so I wish you good luck this year!
    ChickenFreak: That sounds amazing! I like the idea of rebelling in any form! haha. I'm excited to see you pursue this goal. I have a habit of editing my words also. I've never been one to let others in too close to my thoughts, feelings, etc. I admire your goal, and would love to see you accomplish it! Where is your blog located?
    Leaka: I hope you will keep us up to date in November!
    pinelopikappa: I'm happy to find someone else who is new at this! :) Are you excited or nervous about attempting to write your soul out this year?

17. Pea

Pea super pea!

Yeah, I'm gonna do it this year. Joined NaNo for the first time last year and managed about 12k words in 10 days before I had to give up for family reasons. Really fun and hectic, and a great community feel as well. I'm on there as CazP if anyone wants to buddy up. :)

Planning out what I'm writing so far. I want a good plan for plot and characters etc before November starts, don't want to waste time sorting that out once the event has begun. It's gonna be about pirates and brigands and such other snazzy things.

18. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I'm still on the fence about it, though it sounds like good fun.
    It just seems like each idea I have goes into the novel I'm writing, like I don't see it fit to be in anything else I write. But I'm fine with this; I can't complain about never knowing what to write.

19. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

To answer your question I don't think I have fully grasped the mountain I am about to climb. However I think that in times of crises people's brains start working better.

20. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm doing it this year but I haven't started to prepare for it yet. Bring on the challenge though!

21. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I don't expect to much success, but I'm going to try!

22. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

Haha. NaNo: The Time Of Crisis

23. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

Actually no: Greece, about to go bankrupt. If only the crisis was about writing!

24. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

My friend did NaNo last year and has me convinced to join this year. I think I'm going to take the plunge.

Just having so many ideas and picking which to choose is the problem. :/

25. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

Oh whoops. My bad. I took it to mean that trying to write 50K in one month (which is tough) was the crisis. Sorry. :(