50 Shades of Grey

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by jazzabel, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Ah, I see! I haven't read "Twilight" (tried but couldn't bear it) so It didn't click with me. So basically all this is as she wrote it on a fanfic site. I think her publisher was very brave to not do a proper edit.
    I would love to know what you thought about the setting :)

2. jazzabel

It just goes to show that there are no hard and fast rules, if the material is engaging. I lost my faith in publisher's abilities to spot a good seller when I heard that first Harry Potter book was rejected 12 times. And then they had an auction who will pay more for "Historian" and the movie rights and everything, just on a premise. Go figure, lol : D

I agree, there was a whiff of the '80s all throughout the book. Still, stock broker geniuses are sexier than geek geniuses, sad but true :D

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Some of those geeks can be pretty sexy ;-)
    Really, genius of any sort can be very sexy.

My understanding of how she wrote it is that it started off on the fan fic site, people loved it, and at some point she pulled it off the site and then self-pubbed it and people bought it. Since people were dying to buy the book as is, I don't fault the publisher for not wanting to change it. They were serving up the book to meet the pre-existing demand. And so many people had already read it in e-format, I think there would have been an outcry if they had changed anything (even if the changes had literary merit.)

4. jazzabel

I suppose I'm just too much of a control-freak to leave things like that :) But I see what you mean.
    I have to trust you on the geeks, haven't met a sexy one yet but I am sure I missed something :D

5. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I'm too lazy to read the previous posts, so sorry if this has already been said:

This "novel", if it can even be called that, started as a Twilight fan-fiction. Then, she changed the name and it became a best-selling book and soon to be film.
    That's all I have to say, speaks for itself honestly.

6. the1

the1 Active Member

You say English is not your first language... Your original post was a pleasure to read. Your grasp of the English language is excellent. While I have not read 50 Shades of Grey, I appreciate your review of this novel.

Do you think a young male should pick up this book to take in some different sort of literature, or is this book better suited for the female audience it is intended for?

Then again, it may just be a benefit to pick up some of the tricks that send girls wild courtesy of Christian Grey. ;)
    What do you think?

7. jazzabel

@Dagolas:thanks for your input :)

@the1: Thank you very much for the compliment, it really means a lot. :)
    I think there are a few pointers in it for young men, but I don't know how interesting the book would be for a man, considering that the pov is very female.