=[...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Alice in Wonderland, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I also have a similar problem. I just avoid the things that set me off the worst as much as possible, so e-mails for jobs rather then phone calls whenever possible, avoid huge crowds, etc.
    But I also edge myself into things that put me on edge, but I can handle, teaching (after the initial stage fright it gets easier), talking in small groups, and eventually when I've tried every other option asking questions.

Its not a disorder just shyness.

2. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Again keep on topic with threads or they will be closed.
    Thank you Torana and Domoviye for putting this thread back on topic.

3. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I'm like that too, I hate having to ask for help from people I don't know, but it can be worse with some people I do. I also tried to find a job that wasn't directly dealing with customers (fast food, eh) unless it was around electronics (I might actually learn something). Maybe Tor is right, and it could be an insecurity we learn to grow out of in time... assuming we want to go that route.

4. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I believe that there is such thing as a social disorder. I believe I have it. I get very tight in the chest when around people I don't know.

And just because you are a teenager doesn't mean that there isn't something worng. If you think that there may be something wrong, ask your doctor about it. But you are not along. several people feel the same way.

It sometimes gets hard to get over that panic as well it's sort of like you have to remember to breath in slowly and get some fresh air if you can. I hope that you feel better about this soon anyways. :)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have to agree with you. Mensa (and it's international, by the way), has always struck me as a bunch of essentially mediocre misfits trying to convince one another that they are the best and the brightest. (Apologies to any Mensa members here, I'm sure they've accidentally snagged a few very bright people, too)

Yes, and everyhting looks worse when you are exhausted.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A social disorder is a label. Everyone has a different comfort level around strangers. I see here worry over to low a comfort level among people you have no reason to trust. I see more of a concern with not feeling the need to wall oneself off when placed amon a crowd with unknown agendas.

7. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

But it's more than that. I can't even talk to people that I have no reason not to trust. People that are there to help me because it's their job. D=

On the plus side I've decided on a good option on what career path I want to follow. ^^

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Alice I can understand that. As you already know. In time though it will change if you allow it to. Just give it time though.

And what career path are you looking at? If you don't mind me asking that is!

9. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Of course I don't mind you asking! ^^

I want to be an interior designer. It's the first job I've thought about that I haven't immediately found something I don't like about... so that's a good start.

My mum works in a college so she is going to help me get onto a course there or near by.

10. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Shyness can become a social disorder it depends on how badly it affects your life. If you routinely get a panic attack when your in certain situations. Or if you keep yourself out of situations to the point where it seriously affects your life, its a disorder.
    Its kind of a fine line.