!

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by shaylyn, May 9, 2012.

1. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

From the novel Disturb by J.A. Konrath:
    From the novel The Cruelest Cut by Rick Reed:
    From the novel Afraid by Jack Kilborn:
    Some examples of capital lettered sentences ending with an exclamation point.

There are no "rules" in writing, but "guidelines." Obviously the authors above have specific reasons for using not only capital letters in their sentences and ending it all with exclamation points. It's a matter of style, and figuring out where they need to be, and where they don't need to be. As you can see from Jack Kilborn's novel, a lot of people are in excruciating pain. The usage of capital letters, italics, and an exclamation point heightens their pain, makes it more dramatic. Moreso makes the reader think, "Holy crap, I'm glad I'm not that person right now."

J.A Konrath's novel has a man speaking through an intercom, and when he does, the words are in capital letters because it's so loud, thus the "BURNING UP!" sentence. You don't have to be an expert writer to use them, you just need to use them without overusing them. And the capital letters is all emphasis too, as is lower case sentences with an exclamation point. I went through one of my novels and took note of all the exclamation points, and most of all of them were from a character saying "Oh God!" and "God!" and "Dear God!" So yeah...depends on how enthusiastic or worked up your character gets, too.

2. JackElliott

JackElliott New Member

Have abandoned exclamation marks completely in favor of ALL CAPITAL LETTERS TO INDICATE SHOUTING.

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

This thread is not about using capitals, and there is no point giving quotes from novels that are either experimental or quirky niche/detective genre to justify using them, anyway.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can find many examples of writing faux pas committed by authors who should know better. It does not alter the fact that ALL CAPS and overuse of exclamation points are poor practice.

Good writing is not about what you can get away with. It's about quality over cheap stunts.

5. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

Good writing, to me, is when the writer doesn't go with the usual trend in writing. It's when they experiment with styles, make things stand out. I actually found those books to be excellent writing, because they gripped me and pulled me into the characters and events within the story, rather than most other novels.

But to the OP's questions:
    I find exclamation points to be fine in dialogue. I'm not bothered by it in the slightest, because if they're shouting, why wouldn't there be one, ya know? But whether you want to use a "she yelled" or "he shouted" instead is purely up to you.

Usually if the reader doesn't know which person is yelling (after a description, or multiple descriptions), I'd use something along the lines of ""Stop that!" Sammy shouted." If we basically know which of the characters are talking by what they yell though, I probably wouldn't bother with adding a "shouted/yelled" tag.

6. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Use them in dialogue when truly necessary. In narration, if I never see the exclamation mark, you'll hear no complaints from me :).

7. JackElliott

JackElliott New Member

Using all caps does not = a writing faux pas or cheap stunt. Thanks for playing, though.

I also don't use quotes for dialogue. Like, ever. Sorry if your head just exploded.

8. Cogito

Oh, a rebel. Best of luck with that.

9. raraavis

raraavis New Member

For me, I have certain character that I almost 'assign' the ability to be able to use exclamation marks in their dialogue. I use them sparingly because it's an ingrained habit, but when I do use it, it's not just for any random character that is frustrated or angry. It has to be a character who characteristically uses them. I think writing is almost an art form in the way where the little things you do like certain spellings, capitalization, exclamation marks, or just ways you arrange the text can affect how the reader perceives the story. Exclamation marks are a part of that.

1 person likes this.
  10. C.B Harrington

C.B Harrington New Member

An exclamation is a grammatical indicator of vocal emphasis. "And, then after we cleaned her and the bathroom, she threw up again!" It doesn't necessarily have to indicate shouting.

However, as writers grammar is an essential tool of our craft, but should never be a substitute for description. Capitalization is becoming more common with writers who pander to the YA market because it's easier to translate understanding of a situation. Exclamations are usable whenever it's necessary, but if your characters are using exclamations often in your story, you might want to rethink their emotional state - most people don't walk around emotionally charged all the time speaking emphatically.

Grammatic structure exists so that people can assimilate the descriptions and dialogue being used to better lead them through the story with an even flow. If I were to use a - break. Your mind registers that, and puts a *beat* in between "a" and "break" which adds dramatic emphasis. But, if I - were - to - over - use - it, you would quickly become annoyed.

11. JackElliott

JackElliott New Member

Not really. Just what I find aesthetically pleasing.

12. thecoopertempleclause

thecoopertempleclause New Member

To the contrary, it forces you to be more creative. What's easier, to hold shift and hit the 1 key, or to effectively describe the emotional intensity which your character is feeling, how their demeanour is reacting to the conversation, the breaks in their voice or the tumult in their body language? For every so-called rule, there will always be an author you can point to and say, 'well, so-and-so didn't obey that rule and now they're selling thousands or copies a week.' I could cite the rule not to write boring insipid crap populated by two-dimensional characters who show no apparent motivation behind their emotions, yet you could reply, 'but Stephanie Meyer got published.' Why not try writing in the second-person perspective as well? There's a rule not to do that as well.

I think you need to consider that you joined a writing forum to get advice on improving your writing, is it really a good idea to get so defensive when you're offered such advice? If you're just gonna write what you want to write and ignore all advice, why be a part of such a community?

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you want to minimize your chances of being published, instead of maximizing them, then by all means, go ahead and do whatever makes you happy...

but if you want to have the best chance of snagging an agent and a paying publisher, you'll stick to the rules and give up hoping you'll be one of the rare exceptions who make it in spite of breaking 'em...

14. sunwave

sunwave Member

Ok I see how everyone thinks they should not be overused. I agree with that. Do not use them too much.
    However, I do not think that "she yelled" or "he shouted" are proper substitutes for an exclamation point. I always thought it is
    a grammatical rule that everything that is shouted or otherwise loud should end with an exclamation. My personal style:

"Don't cross it!" Her voice echoed in the small cavern. When he stopped, she calmed down again. "Doesn't that bridge seem a bit fragile to you?"

Another point about my usage:
    I always avoid using "(s)he yelled/asked" after an exclamation or question mark, since it feels strange to keep a small letter, but it is incorrect
    to use a capital. (I guess this is the same as the second poster).

15. thecoopertempleclause

Personally, I think you can do far better without.
    ------------------
    "Don't cross."

Her voice rang out loudly in the small cavern, echoing time after time after time in his ears. He strained to cut his momentum as he lurched towards the rope bridge, his foot hovering mere inches over the first board when it came to a stop. He turned around to face her, the anxiety in her face melting away when she saw that her warning had been heeded.

"Doesn't that bridge seem a bit fragile to you?" she said.

16. C.B Harrington

Adding in description but not congruent punctuation forces the reader to go back in their minds and revisit the dialogue with the meaning you are giving it after the fact. Using the exclamation initiates emphasis in the dialogue, which is accentuated by your description. It provides for better flow for most readers.

17. thecoopertempleclause

Going back and revisiting the dialogue. Hmm, that sounds suspiciously like an echo to me.

18. C.B Harrington

I see, well your after the fact cleverness has also forced your reader from immersion. But, that's the great thing about being a writer, you have the freedom to do as you like.

The punctuation doesn't make bad writing; the writer does.

19. thecoopertempleclause

I think you meant to use a comma or a colon there, not a semi-colon.

20. Cogito

I don't think an exclamation point is necessary here either.

Still, I might go ahead and use an exclamation point in this variant:

The moral here is to use an exclamation point if it is honestly called for, but don't throw them around like confetti.

21. C.B Harrington

Thank you for spelling out my point. :) It was a nod to Hemingway.

However, both of you changed the initial text.
    This sentence emphasizes the emotional state after the exclamation, thus giving it meaning. You certainly can restructure the sentence and dialogue to exclude an exclamation. Stop, No, Don't - these words are neuro-linguistic triggers and in general imply emphasis when read by themselves.

"Stop." She cried as his hands pawed at her belt.

Using an exclamation in the above doesn't add much, but using an exclamation in preparation for description can be very helpful for the reader.

"I'm afraid of the dark!" She cried as the lights went out.

22. Cogito

Yes, rewording is an option, and not one that should be dismissed out of hand. You're crafting a scene, not recording a courtroom transcript. You use whatever works to produce the desired result.

I changed what she called out, because I couldn't feel someone urgently crying out, "Don't cross!" Your mileage may vary, but as I said, I'm more interested in crafting a scene than in reproducing the same sequence of words with different punctuation.

23. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Half the time, exclamation marks are like a big signpost pointing out the blindingly obvious, or there because the writer thinks they aren't being clear enough--see, see, this is funny/ironic/spoken in a raised voice.
    If you stop using them, you'll be amazed at how much less superficial your work looks, especially when you bear in mind the points thecoopertempleclause and cogito raised.

24. thecoopertempleclause

Yeah, personally I can't envision anyone shouting anything other than "stop," or "no," to achieve the desired result.

But hey, why not go all out.
    --------------------
    ˚Støp!!!˚ Her vøiçe ®∂ng øut! I† eçhøed in the small ¢∂ve®n« ˚Døn*† ¢®øss!!!˚

¿he ƒ®øze!! tHen he b∂cked ∂way ƒrøm †he ®øpe b®idge«

˚døesn*† i† løøk ∂ bit †he wø®se ƒor wea®???˚

¿He shive®ed!! It did look de¢®epi†! He h∂d been ∂bøµ† †o pu† his Weigh† on the ƒi®s†· ®ø††en plank! He pee®ed "¢∂µ†iøusly" øver the edge & s∂w ønly d∂rkness!!!
    --------------------

There's my "nod" to Hemmingway. I'm so creative that I don't use any punctuation the way it's supposed to be used. I won't let rules stifle my awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!

25. Cogito

That's why. :)