1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Honey Voice

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, Jul 8, 2011.

Okay, I'm writing a story that involves a character with what's called the, "Honey Voice." It's about a journalist, who has a voice that can cause people to tell her anything, regardless of the secret. The voice can also be a form of mind control with other things, but that doesn't come up until much later. She ends up winning a massive amount prizes, like the Pultizer, but also ends up destroying numerous companies and careers, eventually radically changing the USA in a... unexpected way.

Is it possible to have a voice that relaxes people to the point of them telling you anything? Besides that, does this concept have plot issues at this point? That's different than whether you like the concept, just whether it has plot holes at this point or not at this point.

1 person likes this.
  2. Needz

Needz New Member

I bet she's really attractive too.

and empathy leads to asking the right questions, and the right questions lead to more information.

3. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Haven't you ever met one of those people in RL who are really easy to talk to? :)

4. jnk1296

jnk1296 Member

Well, in my opinion, anything is possible, ESPECIALLY WHEN IS COMES TO STORIES. Now in the real world, it's probably not likely that anyone could have a voice like that, but then again, that may not matter. It's your story, so you are allowed to do whatever you like. Just go with it.

As for plot holes, it's hard to tell right now. It all really depends on how you develop your story. From what I can tell, it's fine.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

In the Artemis Fowl series, the elves have a magic ability called mesmer, which is a hypnotic voice.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

i like the idea and agree with jnk, it's not relevant if it would be possible irl, it's your story and anything you want can happen. I just say go for it, I think it's going to be great! :)

7. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

You might want to read the Preacher comics from Vertigo. The main character (the preacher) had what he called the Word of God, allowing him to force people to do whatever he wanted using only his voice. Excellent series, by the way. :)

8. NSR

NSR New Member

Hear, hear!

Anything is possible, that's the beauty of writing :)

As far as the plot goes I think it sounds really good, and if there are any plot-holes I can't see them :)

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Smallville, Season 3, episode "Truth" is an example of what you are attempting.

10. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Yeah it can totally be made believable in a story (not so much in RL).

I bet she seduces them too, or it's comically hinted at.

Have you seen the recent remake of the miniseries "V," where Anna does that bliss thing? Same idea.

And if you have questions about journalists/journalism, PM me :)

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Another example that isn't exactly a matter of voice (Plateau Eyes) is A Gift From Earth by Larry Niven.

12. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Not in real life, but nothing stops you from having supernatural elements in your story.

Without supernatural elements, I'd need more than the voice to find it believable - for example, seeing the character use clever tricks to get people where she wants them.

13. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Okay, regarding the realism, except the voice, the rest of the story is told in a dark realistic tone, so I'm wondering how much her voice contrasts with that. Hope this helps.:)

14. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Nice tittle. I could never think of a tittle without executing an idea like this one.
    So you're saying that anyone who hears your character's voice will reveal their secret or make them want to say anything? That's a nice concept.

Does her voice cause the destruction and changes to the USA?

Sure, in my opinion. If it's a fictional story, you can have the voice to do anything. You should be cautious about keeping the audience's suspension of disbelief suspended. It would be made clear if the cause of her powerful voice is due to the people ignoring her. And while that can be true, the character might be given a wish she granted. She may wished that everyone could hear her, and her voice would tell people what to do whenever she talk to anyone. Just be sure that you give your audience a reason as to why her voice can control people and things, before you jump right into her having the ability to use her voice in a powerful way.

Unless you are talking about what the story is about, I don't think the story itself has any issues. Like I said, just be sure that it keeps the readers under their belief whenever you present the story. As for the plot, I can't guarantee you the plot itself is an issue, since I don't know "how" the story happened, and not what the story is just about.

That's different than whether you like the concept, just whether it has plot holes at this point or not at this point. As for the concept itself, the concept seems to be highly conceptional.

15. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Ah, yeah. Well, it causes an... ironic thing to happen to the USA, to say the least. What? Can't tell obviously.;)

Anyway, I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

16. [ESCAPE]

[ESCAPE] New Member

I've read about that. Actually, I heard a book report about a book about that :p It was called something something Molly something something.