Tags:
  1. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

Live out of a Portal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DarkPen14, Jun 3, 2019.

No matter who or where you are, your carrying capacity is always an issue. This is especially true in video games, with limited inventory slots or weight caps. But as with all systems, there's a way around it. My personal favorite is the practice of "Living out of your Ender Chest" in late game Minecraft, which allows you potentially unlimited storage that you can access anywhere you can place down an Ender Chest.
    For those who don't know what that means, I've put the process in a spoiler.

Living out of an Ender Chest is an late game practice in the game Minecraft. To do this, you create an Ender Chest by surrounding an Eye of Ender with Obsidian in a crafting table. This will likely be the first chest you will be able to make where the contents don't go flying when you pick it up. What the Ender Chest does is create a sort of rip in reality that can only be accessed from an Ender Chest, and the contents can only be accessed by the person who put them in the rip. You have 27 slots in this rip that you can put whatever you want in; 27 stacks of items, 27 tools, etc.
    Now that you have an Ender Chest, anything in it is completely safe as no one else can get to your rip in reality. In order to pick the Ender Chest up, you will need a pickaxe with the Silk Touch enchantment, or the chest will break into obsidian rather than the chest itself, and you'll need to make another one. Now you need to go to the End. After slaying the Dragon and returning to the Overworld, when you go back to the end, there will be a pod thing on the outskirts of the floating island. Go through it, and look for an End City. Loot it for all its worth and kill all the Shulker mobs within, including the rare End City Ship, where you will find an Elytra. The Elytra is not necessary, but it is a big help for moving fast because you can now glide across long distances with the aid of firework rockets.
    You return to the Overworld with the Shulker Shells you collected from the dead Shulkers, and in your crafting table put a shell above and below a chest. This will create a Shulker Box, the only other chest item that does not send your items flying when you pick it up. Make a few of these, they have the same storage as a small chest (27 slots), but can be picked up without sending the items everywhere, and can be dyed different colors. Color code your shulker boxers if you can, it'll make life easier when you need stuff in a hurry.
    Put stuff in your Shulker Boxes according to your color code system (example, for me, Red is Food, so I put all edibles in the Red Shulker Box.) Pick up those Shulker Boxes, and put them in your Ender Chest, along with any other miscellaneous items you don't want to put in a Shulker Box. Pick up the Ender Chest and carry it with you at all times. You could also put Shulker Boxes in Shulker Boxes and achieve potentially unlimited storage, in YOUR POCKET.

What would you carry if you could do this? Don't worry, the pocket portal doesn't transfer the weight of the contents onto the user, only the weight of the Ender Chest (which I calculate to be about 40 pounds, which is about the same as a bag of dog food, which I'm sure most people can carry easily unless you're tiny) is placed upon the carrier. So go nuts, you technically have infinite storage, here.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Sounds like Hermione's bag!

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. DarkPen14

Actually, I believe the concept of the Ender Chest might have been influenced by Hermione's bag!

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Mary Poppins did it first with her bag. :p

Some Guy likes this.
  5. DarkPen14

Yeah, that's true.

I shoved eight Shulker Boxes of building materials, firework rockets, phantom membranes, miscellaneous crafting components and benches, and a few spare tools my bottomless backpack on my MC world. And a bucket of lava, in case I need to dispose of useless items (or NPCs) in a hurry. (Burn in Hell, you useless Cartographer Testificate!)

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    The closest to 3rd and 1st POV shooters with damn near infinite carry capacity. :p
    The Ivan. :D
    Ivan.jpg

DarkPen14 likes this.
  7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Hammerspace dates back to Bugs Bunny cartoons from before the Second World War.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull my head out of my ass a rabit outta my hat!"
    "That trick never works"
    "Presto!"

Oo, what about Felix The Cat's bag!

DarkPen14 and Iain Aschendale like this.