1. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

7am and still going strong

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by dave_c, Dec 2, 2012.

im taking a short break from writing as i have been writing none stop since 10pm (its now 7:09am)

my problem is this isnt maintainable, but i just CANT seem to write during the day unless im in a coffee shop, then it comes in leaps and bounds.

So, how can i get myself to write during the day, without visiting Starbucks?

sorry if thats a bit scrambled, like i said 7:12am.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You have to set a schedule that works FOR YOU, taking into account other commitments (such as a day job) and your own peak creativity time of day.

Sometimes that requires shifting some priorities.

3. aad

aad New Member

if it's just starbucks you don't like, maybe it's too expensive, or maybe you finally asked out the girl who works there and that went arse-over-elbow very quickly and not in the karma-sutra sense, thus you can't go back, then go to the library. desk, warmth, people around, what's not to like.
    if for some reason you don't want to go outside at all but think you can't write in isolation, you prob can, but will have to push it.

4. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Senior Member

Cogito is right. A schedule will help you tremendously. If you know when you reach your peak creativity during the day, work a schedule around it if possible. I can relate about the coffee shop writing high. I get that too, especially when I'm in a Starbucks or Barnes and Noble. My problem at the moment is that I am devoting 23 hours a day to my classes so whenever I'm in Starbucks I am writing a paper or reading a chapter and taking notes on International Institutions and Linkage Issues (actually what I am reading at the moment) instead of writing fiction.

5. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

If going to a cafe helps, why don't you wanna go? There're cheaper cafes than Starbucks, or there's always KFC and McDonald's where no one would bother you and it's cheap. In Prague, in KFC you get refillable drinks too :) not sure if that's in other countries (I know in England that's not the case)

6. Mikewritesfic

Mikewritesfic Senior Member

Oh and aad....I actually had that happen to me once at a Starbucks I loved to frequent. I spent the better part of 4 months doing a flirting dance with one of the girls who worked there. We finally went out, had a great time but I never called her again. Can't remember why but I avoid that place like the plague now.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I'd say, think about what it is about a coffee shop that helps you write. The caffeine? That's fairly easy to achieve. The noise and activity? Maybe television in the background would help. The presence of people? Maybe a library or park or the food court at a mall would work.

Mental distraction in general? The thing that a coffee shop, and being exhausted at night, have in common, are that you don't have your whole mind available for writing. I'm fairly sure that I'm ADHD - I need a distraction to stay focused on many tasks, and if I don't have a distraction I need caffeine. So I'd suggest experimenting with a variety of distractions.

8. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

after much research id i think iv actually managed to sus it out. its a combination of coffee, white noise and low levels of distraction. i tried no distraction and found that the little i could write was generally stale and uninteresting. maybe it is an ADHD thing, im actually being seen by the doctor about that tomorrow.

9. Jon Deavers

Jon Deavers Member

I actually am more productive when its quiet around and I turn off the distractions but I love people watching at coffee shops or fast food restaurants, etc. since it tends to give me ideas for description during a dialog. I'm always nervous that I'll be caught staring creepily with a goofy grin on my face at the couple on the couch across the table from me.