1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

In desperate need of a help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Poziga, Sep 17, 2015.

Hello, I wouldn't ask for a help like this on such a big forum if it wasn't really important. :/

luckily I've been a member on this forum for a while so I hope that's a reason you won't ignore this post.

I have just arrived to Nottingham, as an exchange student. I came to a house I wanted to rent today and realized it is a scham! The house is cold, it lacks equipment, and the kitchen is completely empty (just cupboards, no plates, dishes...). On the internet it said it has everything. The room that I wanted to rent is small I ahve to walk with my head down, so I don't hit myself.

My question is if anyone from you is from Nottingham or have any friends /relatives, who would have maybe a couch I could sleep on just for a couple of days until I can find a new place? :/

I really need help. Thank you in advance. :)

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm nowhere near you but I'm sorry you're in that predicament.

My son's had good luck with https://www.airbnb.com/

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

When I thought you were sleeping rough on the streets of Nottingham I worried for you.

Then, getting back from work, I read the post again: read that there were 'no pots and pans' and that the ceilings were a 'little low,' so I thought rather more along the lines of 'young giant faces adventure' rather than my previous assessment - 'lad requires food parcel and loan of my car, immediately.'

I hope you find the country agreeable. Nottingham is quite the mixture, I don't know it so well - there's posh parts, there's deprivation, I'm sure. If you've come to study, why don't you go visit the housing officer at Nottingham University student union? They can sort emergency digs - I reckon 'that night' if you are desperate.

All best

Mat, on south coast, if you are very very and very desperate.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

How come you're not in halls?

If you're looking for student housing, Lenton is the most popular area and probably with the most housing. Beeston is the next big area. As for houses being cold, get used to it lol - student housing is pretty dire.

Avoid Radford by the way. That's a crime-filled area.

I'm afraid anyone I was close enough to to ask for help from like this have all left now. Just trying to remember what sites I used myself to find housing but I'll have to look - it's been years since I studied there.

Campus's gorgeous though right? :D what are you studying there?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  5. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

I grew up in Nottingham, but moved away twelve years ago, so can't really help.

Are you at Nottingham University? Or Nottingham Trent?

As far as I'm aware very little rented accommodation comes with plates, cups, cutlery etc. Not even in furnished student accommodation. There certainly wasn't any in either of the places I rented while I was a student.
    You can get cheap kitchenware from the larger supermarkets like ASDA, Sainsbury's and TESCO. (for example, I just looked online and you can get a 12 piece white dinner set from ASDA for £5 or from Sainsbury's for £7.50)
    Even if you get rid of them when you go home, it may be easier and cheaper than looking for a place which comes with the stuff included.

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Would there be something in Poundland? Certainly it'd be useful for washing up liquid etc.

7. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Sounds like pretty standard student halls to me. :p They aren't exactly the Ritz, but there should be at least a bed and mattress -- you have to include the quilt and sheets yourself of course. If you have that, and a shower/sink with running water, then just eat takeaway food for a few days till you can fix the place up.

8. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

Hey. :)

Sorry, I was busy with house hunting and didn't remember to check this site. Now when I think back, I was very panic-stricken, that's why I started this thread (my phone was almost dead, computer too, and internet didn0t work in the house, so yeah, a bad feeling). It was my first time in UK, I had two large bags and two small, so it was hard to move around. I now know that it's normal for the houses to come without cutlery, pots, pans, beddings...

I didn't go to student halls, because they are extremely expensive. The cheapest one was 99gbp per week. For that money, you can get a room in an apartment in my city for the whole month, not just one week. I have a house for 85gbp per week all inclusive now.

The house I wrote about was in Radford, and it was weird, like someone above mentioned. Everything was in polish around me. I went to a hostel and started house-hunting. I found a house in Beeston, just 400m from the Campus entrance. I really love this area, so nice! I rented it and now live here with two roommates. Everything worked out fine at the end.

If anyone is in Nottingham, let me know, we can grab a beer! :D

Thank you all four the advices. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    KaTrian, Mckk and GingerCoffee like this.