1. Enerzeal

Enerzeal New Member

The world of the short story

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Enerzeal, Oct 25, 2011.

Hey folks.

I have seen a few posts pop up talking about short stories and using them as a method to gain prestige in the publishing world. I have spent some time researching the different aspects of getting a manuscript published, and that is always my end game goal. This post however is to query just how one would go about getting short stories published. Money is essentially no issue. I don't really care about being paid for it but it is always a nice bonus. It's more a question of being recognized as a writer for my own piece of mind. I do enjoy writing but I have terrible self-esteem issues with it, so breaking into short stories would really help. It would either work, things would be published, or I will realize that my abilities just don't make the cut, which is either a cue to quit or to learn more, perhaps even enroll on some courses.

My query is this, how would I go about submissions? my favored genre is Fantasy but Horror and Science Fiction aren't out of the realms of possibility either. I have seen the Duotrope website but the number of possible publishers, magazines etc is very overwhelming so I would really appreciate some guidance in the matter.

Thanks for reading.

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I was just recently directed to this site from another forum member, it is very helpful.

http://www.pw.org/grants

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

What, if any, short story venues do you read?

That's where I started with submissions. I read the magazines Black Static and Interzone so I started there. Beyond that, it was simply research. I found out where my favourite short story authors had been published, and expanded as a reader within my preferred genres.

As well as that, I'd suggest having a look at anthologies on duotrope. They tend to have much more specific themes, so in a way are easier to write for.

4. Enerzeal

Enerzeal New Member

I haven't got a preferred short story venue right now. I suppose it's simply a case of researching a few and getting stuck in with the reading. When I feel comfortable enough with my target audience I can go from there with submissions.

Is there a standard to the format of submitting a short story as there is with manuscripts? Or is a word document with a clear font and layout enough, with perhaps my name somewhere?

Thanks for the replies by the way.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Always look at the guidelines of the specific venue. Most places are quite specific, and you should stick to the letter of what they say. Most magazines and publishers receive hundreds of submissions, and their guidelines are constructed to make the reading as easy and efficient for their slush readers as possible. Deviation will work against you, and in some cases (as unfair as it might sound) will result in instant rejection.

If there are no guidelines, the standard manuscript format should be used, and can be found here.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a short story that you write is a manuscript until it's published!... as is any written work you might submit for publication... and the link banz provided is where you'll find the standard formats for the various forms of creative writing...