Tags:
  1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

To Kill or Not to Kill?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by JTheGreat, Jun 10, 2010.

If you've seen my previous thread, "To Kill a Villain", you know that I will be killing off an antagonist. But I've been having second thoughts.... Yes, I am very wishy-washy when it comes to these things.

From the earlier thread I chose a mixture of all three. The love interest of the villain would have a vision, where the Chekhov's Gunman (another princess who has vowed revenge towards him sometime throughout the story) shoots an arrow from a tower. She either decides to or not to let him leave for something that day, the outcome depending on two choices. She is destined to make a sacrifice by flicking her wrist, and if she lets him leave with a wave he would die, sacrificing their love. But the flick could also be a sign for him to stop, her volunteering to leave in his place. That's a clearer sacrifice, but it deviates from her cold, analytical personality. She does love him, so it could count as character development. Thoughts?

The protagonist would also have a part in defeating the antagonist, if the love interest chose to let him be killed. The MC would find the dying vilain, letting him die. It's against the MC's philosophy to kill, as all.

2. Tavares765

Tavares765 New Member

Well i love the scene you have here. I suggest you do whatever it is that will get the main point of your book across.

The villian is the conflict and in order to solve that conflict it often means you must kill the villian off. Not always is this the case and you can have the villian live on in ways that still let the hero save the day.

For example in the story of the last airbender the hero aang is forced to fight the evil fire lord and he cannot bring himself to kill him because like your MC it is against his nature to kill. The story is handled so that aang defeats the firelord by taking his powers away thus eliminating the threat completely without having to kill him. That conclusion was where the story was heading and so you should handle the conclusion of your story by understanding what the overall message of your story is.

For example it is possible that the villian can see the error of his ways? If so i can totally see the princess torn when she shoots the villian and it takes another shot to finish him. He can prove that he's changed but that he has done too much damage to be allowed to stay in their kingdom, and then the princess banishes him.

If i knew more about the laws that bind your world together i could help more, hopefully i helped a little :)

1 person likes this.
  3. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Just so you know, the Chekhov's Gunwoman princess doesn't govern the country where the story takes place; she is only residing there for her studies. The love interest is actually the princess-princess.

4. Jack Writer

Jack Writer New Member

Well you certainly made quite an effort.But its not necessarily to always make a villian.I mean everyone know where theres a hero theres a villian.So I suggest you make it like Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.Not like that but try not to make it sound obvious.

5. ilocar

ilocar Member

who is your MC? is it the Chekhov's Gunwoman? what are their reasons for resenting killing? What has the villain done that has earned him a death sentence(so to speak) if he was just a dishonest politician I don't care if he lives. If he actually hurt people and/or was responsible for pain, murder, torture, rape or the like, I don't care how you do it, but he must die.

Thats my two cents