1. Naomi Star

Naomi Star Member

A Disease Called Writer's Block

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Naomi Star, Dec 28, 2006.

Hi all! :)

I didn't really see another thread like this...course, I could just be blind.

Anyway, we've all caught it at some point, and some of us have gotten remedies for it as well. I suffer from the ill fate of Writer's Block, and it's lasted for far too long.

What are some ways to help clear your head for a fresh start?

Share some experiences?

Thank you!
    -Naomi Star

2. Naomi Star

Naomi Star Member

Heh, that's a very unique way to try and solve it...I may try that. I'll tell you what really gets me--I get writer's block mainly when I lack in coming up with ideas for character motivation. I want this person to this and join the party...but why?

And here I am. Still wondering. Music doesn't seem to help, and waiting it out hasnt seemed to help either. Of course, I'm too proud to ask anyone for a solution, because then the author didn't think it up. Does that make sense? Oy vey, I'm so stuck!

3. Robert

Robert Banned

I read once that there's no such thing as writer's block. I haven't had it since.

Cheers,
    Rob

4. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Could you elaborate on this?

5. Naomi Star

Naomi Star Member

Sure, oh and please forgive my poor grammar. "I want this person to do this"

I have a character in my story that is a key character, and he needs to join the party on this little adventure. Not only that, but he could be called "The second main character". He's the heroine's lover, but he is the general's son, and he is under order by the king to join their party, but make it not suspiscious. So, I need to think of the reasons he gives them as to why he is going to keep travelling with them, instead of the real reason, which is that he is spying for the king. (he eventually becomes good, though.)

I thought of maybe having them meet him not as the general's son, but as another person at first, when he's already been ordered to go undercover. Does that make sense? It's just difficult to come up with sensible reasons that can fool the readers, who don't know his identity till towards the end.

6. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

It sounds like his alibi is already set up. What other reason would there be for a guy to attend a party other than to accompany his lover?

7. Naomi Star

Naomi Star Member

Oh, sorry, I should have mentioned that he becomes her lover on the trip.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

to me, so-called 'writer's block' is akin to 'jet lag'... both are the products of self-inducement... if you don't believe they exist, they won't...

i've traveled literally all around the globe and too many times to too many places to count... and i've never had the much lamented 'jet lag' because i just tell myself it's whatever time of day it is wherever i am at the moment and don't even think of that silly 'body time' nonsense... when i get to my destination i simply do whatever i'd do anywhere at that time of day/night and never have a problem... if it's daytime and i'm a bit tired from a 22 hour series of flights, i might go to bed a bit early, is all... and i wake up no worse than i do any morning...

when writing, if i hit a snag that i can't manage to get past right away, i just work at it till i do... i might go back into the story to see if i took a wrong turn somewhere or if a change of this or that will help solve the dilemma... but i don't call it 'writer's block' and do nothing!... if i'm stumped on where to go next in the story, i might turn to another piece of work for a bit and come back to the stubborn one later, with a fresh eye... but i'd never call that 'writer's block'... all it is, is the normal process of being a writer!...

bottom line?... think of yourself as 'blocked' and you will be... don't, and you won't!

what most folks call 'writer's block' is merely laziness or lack of motivation/dedication... and for that, there's no cure other than changing your mindset...

9. Domoviye

Domoviye Contributing Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Right now I have four big stories on the go. They're all practice so its not like I'm working on a deadline. I'm also willing to write up short stories. Considering my lack of deadlines this makes avoiding writers block very easy.

If I'm suffering writers block with the story I want to work on, I'll just go to another story. If I can't write that one I go to the next. If I have writers block for all of them, I start writing a short story.
    When I have absolutely no ideas for anything, I'll read a newspaper. One of these tactics always works.

But again my situation is different than most writers who have deadlines or only want to write one particular story.

There was one time I had left my fantasy story alone for too long because of writers block. I copied Mammamaia's trick. I simply sat at the computer and looked at the lone idea I had to work with, which hadn't been cooperating for the last two weeks. Then I started typing. I didn't like how it was coming out at first, but I didn't let myself stop.
    It turned out into one of the better chapters of the story.

Looking that over it seems pretty useless advice, but thats how I deal with it.

10. ariella

ariella Contributing Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    Well I have been sufferring writers block for a few years now which is why my poetry is so shabby. Also why I gave up on the story I was writing, went from not bad to burn status in like a week, yikes.

I have not yet found a way to over come it but that is why I joined here, hoping that somehow it owuld help overcome the problem. Who knows it may work.

11. Gateship

Gateship Member

I agree that writers' block is self-induced. When you're feeling 'blocked' it's no good moaning about it. The only cure is to sit and write anything. Go back to your school days and write about what you did over the weekend. Pick somewhere you know well, like a park, and describe it. Get the words flowing again.

It really does work. I know because I forced myself just the other day when I was convinced I had nothing to write. An hour later and I had 1500 words.

If you're stuck on a particular scene, write a different one. Or something else entirely. It's easy to feel 'blocked' when you're in a rut.