Tags:
  1. 1046190

1046190 New Member

I need a good antagonist...

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by 1046190, Feb 5, 2012.

I'm making a story set in a Post-Apocalyptic future, and I wanted to have a a country as the antagonist of the story. At first I wanted it to be China (symbolic of the Rise of China), but I don't want to step on anyones toes. So I was thinking about using Nazi's (as they're generally disliked). I could also use fantasy counterpart cultures, but I wanted to set it in the real world. My gut feeling is telling me to go with China, but I'm not sure what to do here. I'd like some oppinions please. Thanks.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your story, your decision. Your choice will deeply influence the direction your story takes, so no one else can make that choice for you.

The first thing you need to learn about writing is to trust yourself to make decisions. You will be faced with far tougher choices than this.

3. DDentonas

DDentonas New Member

That sounds a bit cowardish, if i can say that. You have to do what you want to do. It's your book. No one is gonna like you if you sacrifice style for political correctness.

Nazi's are a terrible idea. What is wrong with nazism anyway. Sure i can think a lot of stuff, here in the real world, but few of them are going to count as bad in an apocalyptic wasteland, where the first concern of the people is to survive. Or are you gonna stick a label to your bad guys and expect the audiance to hate them just because they are nazi's?

4. Jammy

Jammy New Member

Rather than choosing between China/Nazis/Fantasy, I'd suggest you pursue all three of them. It's well known that the swastika was used in China long before the 20th century; it represented eternity. Pretty simple to progress to >> reanimated ancient chinese nazis.
    Best of luck getting that published.

5. ScaryMonster

ScaryMonster Active Member

I have to say that when it comes to writing, the first instinct is usually the right one. Even though it might take 3 rewrites to get it perfect.

The only problem with writing about China as an outsider is that you might not know that much about it and I'd say there is even less is common knowledge about the inner working of China's intelligence agencies.
    Unless its pure fantasy, which might be problematic with that sort of setting.

Where as everything has been written and is available about the Nazi government the 30s and 40s.
    When dealing with governments and physiological paranoia that makes writing a treat you really can't go past the Cold War era East Germany. People lived in paranoid fear of their neighbours and the STAZI.
    So I'd have a look at East Germany before 1989 as a protagonist state.

Personally I'd avoid the obvious plot devices that have been over used.
    Like snarling villains and evil empires, unless you include a high proportion of helicopters and explosions.:)

6. Jowettc

Jowettc New Member

In that case - go wild! If its science fiction then you can decide what the country is like in every sense of the word. Fascisim, communism, capatilism, while all vaild, frankly wouldnt be anything new. Of course its perfectly doable, written well - just do some research on the cultural type you intend to portray.

Why limit yourself though? You could go for any end of country...what are its motivations? Perhap resources, perhaps slavery, perhaps genetic material for breeding and so on.....

7. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

... You'd be stepping on the toes of Nazis with that.
    I shall refer to Cogito's post. We're not here to write your plot for you. You come up with the elements, and if you need help knowing whether or how something works, we'll be here.

8. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

It sounds to me like you already have a general idea in your head as to who or what you want your Antagonist to be. So play with that idea. Instead of spending so much time trying to figure out just what it is, allow anything to happen. Let your imagination be your guide. Take the idea you already have, poke it with a stick, give it a shake, ruffle its feathers, then completely turn it upside down and see what you find.

9. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

Your story your choices! I don't believe there is any problem in asking people for their opinion to help you decide, so long as it is ultimatly what you want! I don't think anyone can write something wonderful if it is not what they want to write about or they have something else they want to write about more. Besides you said it's a Post-Apocalyptic future, so who knows how the world could have been affected; you could have the majority of land destroy with servivers of other nations taking refue in habitable countries. I'd image that the old govenment and stuff would be out the window and a new government type system would be in place or a group trying to rule everything. With that, I don't think you'd need to worry to much about cultures and such so I don't believe you'd be stepping on anyones toes or anything.