1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Some books that sound cool

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Kratos, Feb 28, 2009.

Here are some books that look interesting. Have any of you read any of these books, and what do you think of them?

Tigana by Guy Gaveriel Kay

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie

Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Dark Tower series by Steven King

The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Night's Dawn saga by Peter Hamilton

Gap series by Steven R. Donaldson

Otherland by Tad Williams

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

The Dresden Files got turned into a TV show, didn't it? Sounds like an amusing concept.

3. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

The writing in the First Law is very good and it has interesting characters but at least part way through the 2nd book the plot hasn't really been compelling. It is still very much worth reading.

4. december00

december00 New Member

Tigana by Guy Gaveriel Kay is a fantastic book and he's a laudable story teller. The Plots are involved and his Characters are vibrant. Put this one somewhere near the top of that list.

The Dark Tower series by Steven King is pretty good - Few of his books are not at least 'worth a read'

Otherland by Tad Williams - I haven't read it, but I enjoyed his "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy, even if he is a little windy. This one is on my list of future reads.

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein - I found this to be a pretty good and simple read, but nothing spectacular.

Cheers

5. Jal Phoenix

Jal Phoenix New Member

I can't comment on the rest, but King's Dark Tower series is very good. I listened to them all on CD while painting, my other hobby. There are seven books, and of course some are better than others. Book three, The Wastelads, is my favorite.

I also see Stephen Donaldson on there. I've never read his Gap series, but I've enjoyed his Thomas Covenant novels for years. His prose is lots of fun to read, even if you do sometimes need a dictionary handy. Reading his work has helped me increase my vocabulary and better my descriptive style.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Yeah, Tigana was at the top of my list, as you can see. I decided to read The Lies of Locke Lamora, basically because it was the only one of those I could find at my library. It's pretty good, and I'm switching between it and Dune until I'm finished them both, and then I'm going to search for Tigana.

7. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

The Dark Tower series by Steven King - Read them a few time over i like them that much. Probably my favourite King material (Apart from It and stand). One great quest.

Night's Dawn saga by Peter Hamilton - Can't say i have read these yet. BUT the Void Triology and the COmmonwealth Saga are brilliant. (Im working my way down from present to old material with his stuff, going back in time.)..ANd loving them greatly. Love all the characters (characters from one series is in the other etc. He has a habit of doing that, which for me as the reader is cool).

8. Jovian Temptations

Jovian Temptations New Member

I read the first book of the Dresden Files and i was enraged. I'm not sure why, but i detested it. It seemed overdone and stupid and guck. MAybe you'll like it, though.

The first book of the Dark Tower was a lot better. =)