1. J.C.O. Goss

J.C.O. Goss New Member

A few research questions?

Discussion in 'Research' started by J.C.O. Goss, May 6, 2014.

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, I wasn't really sure, but this seemed like the best place based on the other topics I saw.

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone can give me advice on a few things. Namely, how to come up with a not boring title & description, where I can get my hands on a reasonably cheap domain name for my homepage, and how to go about finding smaller nearby publishing companies (if I go the traditional route in publishing). Sorry if it's too much to ask, I've been googling and reading up on stuff but I mostly wind up finding people trying to sell me unrelated stuff.

2. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

I can only help with the first part. Name, well that's hard. You've just got to find an interesting thing within the book to name it after. Maybe an event, or person, group (Divergent (group), Harry Potter (person), Hunger Games (event), A Game of Thrones ("When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die" ~ Cersei Lannister)). In my writing, there's a group called the Death Collegiate. They're also known as "The New Order" in a few places. "The New Order" is the name of my unfinished book.

A description, well that's also painful. You've just got to sit down and hammer it out. It's just a summary, but don't include all the boring details. Just give the main plot.

The rest I can't help with. Sorry!

3. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

What are you looking for a title and description of?

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Domain names are cheap. I bought my book title from NameSilo even though I'm not yet using the web site. I didn't settle on a title though until I was half way through my book. Is yours done or close to done?

http://www.namesilo.com/

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Not to hit this one too hard, but how do you know you will have something publishable (by whatever means) until you actually write it? There is a myth, common among novice writers, that one simply decides to write a novel and then does it. If this is your first novel - and it sounds as though it is - then the odds are that it will not be published (or, if self-pubbed, won't sell), and that it will be, at best, a valuable learning experience. Focusing on issues like traditional vs. self, domain names, movie rights, etc only further hurts your chances.

Write, review, analyze, edit, rinse, repeat...

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...title for what?

...description of what?

...where is the description going to be used, to do what?

...i've used register.com... it's reasonably cheap...

...by 'homepage' do you mean a website?

...why do you feel you need one?

...what will you want it to do for you?

...why nearby?... nobody goes into a publishing company office to deal in person with them, these days... it's all done by email or snail mail, or through your agent [which you should have, if you want to snag a paying publisher]...

...for publishing what?... a novel?... a how-to?... self-help book?... or..............???

...it's too much to ask only because you give us way too little info on what it is you're asking!

7. J.C.O. Goss

J.C.O. Goss New Member

Title & description/synopsis for a novel. The description would be used, you know, to describe the novel.

Yes, I mean a website. I've heard that setting up a website or a blog and connecting with other authors, publishers, readers, editors, whatever, isn't harmful towards establishing somewhat of a reputation for myself or marketing my product prior to publishing.

Hence why I'm asking these questions, I didn't know that. Thank you for the information though.

Novel.

Terribly sorry. I get ahead of myself.

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Write, review, analyze, edit, rinse, repeat...:agreed:

GingerCoffee likes this.
  9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you completed the novel yet?... if so, hasn't any title suggested itself?... if you haven't, don't worry about it, one will, eventually...

as for writing the synopis, you can find tips on how to do that with a google search... or you can email me and i'll send you some...

if you haven't written the book yet, my best advice is to concentrate on doing that, first... don't waste time and energy on trying to market what you don't have for sale...