1. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

Publishing Deals for Adolescents?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Dazen, Oct 29, 2013.

Okay, I'm 14, and I wanted people's opinions of chance for publication for me...
    In relation to adults; and I'm not talking in terms of the writing, I mean is it as likely for a publisher to publish a minor's work.
    Thank you :)

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

When you're querying to an agent or publisher, there's no need to tell them your age. It will add nothing at best, and will get them to turn you down at worst.

I suppose there's more of a chance for older people in terms of experience, but if your writing is to a good enough standard for publication, why should an agent or publisher need/want to know your age? :)

P.S. If you do eventually get accepted somewhere, remember they will know your age eventually. ;)

3. 7thMidget

7thMidget New Member

I think that if it's a good work, they'll take it, regardless of your age, which they don't need to know before judging your writing. I don't know if there are any differences in terms of the publishing deals themselves, at least when it comes to the US (if that's where you are); I only know my tiny, tiny Portuguese market.

Don't think it's that much of a disadvantage or even of an advantage to publish at a young age; you might think that people won't take you seriously as easily, but all you need to do is to prove your worth through your writing. You might also think that being very young and publishing a work may actually help you in terms of promotion ("The amazingly mature novel/fiction series/whatever of a merely 14 year old writer!"), and that is true to some extent, but it's not like everyone will automatically adulate you and turn you into a famous author in the blink of an eye. At any age, it's hard to publish a book and even harder to make it a commercial success.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all said above...

actually, the only difference in being that young is a parent or legal guardian will have to sign the contracts...

so, write on, young'un!!!

love and hugs, maia

5. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

Just wondering, do I sound Fourteen? ;)

6. mammamaia

can't tell from such a short post... though there are some mistakes in it, adults make 'em, too...

if you send me your first chapter, i'll let you know if it'll fly, or rat you out as a 'kid'...

if you're brave enough to get the truth, send as an ms word attachment to:
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

7. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

ahah, sure :) And I think I can remember having posted on a lot of the same ones as you have; I just assume you haven't noticed.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, yes.

9. Dazen

Dazen Active Member

Ahah :)

10. mammamaia

'same' what's?...if you mean other writing sites, it's too hard for me to remember everyone, since i post on 3 every day, with many posts on each one... so i'm sorry if i didn't notice having seen you elsewhere...

11. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

The answer isn't if they'd publish you at fourteen, it's if you have what you need to create writing that a publisher would choose over all the other submissions on their desk. In other words, what makes your story more desirable than all the others.

When your query arrives they have no idea, as they read it, of how old you are. They have only your words. And if they're professional you're in. So the real question is, are you writing like a pro? If the editor you submit to were to read ten pages of your story, mixed with the work of ten writers who are selling in your genre, that editor must not be able to tell, by reading, that your work is from someone who hasn't been published before. And as you can guess, it's a bitch to write that well. But it is necessary. And since it is, it might make some sense to dig out the skills and tricks of the trade that those pros take for granted. In that, your local free library's fiction writing section can be a huge help. And, it's free.