1. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.

A Fortress of Grey Ice

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Hwaigon, Jan 25, 2015.

Anyone read this book? It was reviewed some time ago in a fantasy magazine I used to read. It was very well received by fantasy fans.

2. Jenurik Name

Jenurik Name Member

J.V. Jones is approximaetly equal to G.R.R.Martin in descriptive prowess, mastery of language, and scene construction. She doesn't push the edge as much in terms of "grimness", the violence and rape and all that, making it a more traditional fantasy read. And she handles the long-term pacing better.

I not only recommend reading it (but only after Cavern of Black Ice), but would go so far as to say that her
    Sword of Shadows series is one of the very best in all of fantasy. I found a lot of pedagogical value in her prose as well, so fantasy writers honing their skill should give this a look.

3. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    Thank you for your reply - I'm glad you've suported my view of the book and series. It looks very attractive, mostly for the fact that the author is not so notoriously known as is Martin.