1. Chesster

Chesster New Member

A Friendly Borrow

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Chesster, Jun 22, 2014.

If you could take a character from any other book, which character from which book would you choose and why?

2. hughesj

hughesj New Member

Hermione Granger. She serves so many purposes within the story - at least at the beginning. She is some comedic relief, a little bit annoying. She is smart, so she can get the trio out of a lot of sticky situations. And she was just a pleasure to read.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  3. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

Dr. Gonzo from Fear and Loathing. I feel his foolishness and paranoia could be a fun use in a story, especially if it turns out that he is always right in his fears.

4. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Alain or Cuthbert from Stephen King's Dark Tower Series. IMO, they don't need to be around Roland to be great characters, and each tackles problems in his own thoughtful way.

5. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    I feel like I need to pick some classical or renowned literary character but honestly, the first one I'm drawn to that I think I'd have the most fun with is Marvel Comic's Wolverine, lol. The possibilities are endless taking into account his long history, anti-hero personality, and mutation. If I ever dabbled in fan-fic, he'd be my first choice.
    [​IMG]

6. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

Amory Blaine from This Side of Paradise. It's the innocence and loyalty that made me love the character. It's my favorite book.

7. Chesster

Chesster New Member

One of my favourite characters, from one of my favourite books, is Henry Smart from 'Oh Play That Thing' by Roddy Doyle.
    Its the follow up to 'A Star Called Henry' where at the very end, Henry was on the run from the Irish Republican paymasters. It is now 1924 and he has arrived in New York via Ellis Island.

I love how bright Henry is, in a time when a huge percentage of the working class could barely read or write. He settles fast in an alien city and quickly starts his own business, parading teenage boys around the streets wearing advertising boards. He realises that the wording and use of space are important in his progress.

Things don't go completely to plan in New York and Henry ends up in Chicago and meets a trumpet player with bleeding lips. Louis Armstrong. Louis is huge in stature to some extent but the colour of his skin, and the fact that the mob run Chicago hold him back. Louis needs a white man by his side and that man is Henry.

The reason I love Henry so much, is because he has that James Dean or Marlon Brando quality to him. He is cool, he only speaks when he needs to, he watches and he listens to people and the city itself. He notices danger before anyone else and he can really take care of himself. I love how Roddy Doyle uses his surname Smart. He smart in appearance and smart in mind. A really well crafted, solid character.

There is a particular scene that I love, where Henry and Louis are short of money, so they burgle houses. Can you imagine the great Louis Armstrong burgling houses with his Irish right hand man? Roddy Doyle really goes to town on his artistic license and I love the relationship he builds with Louis and Henry.

If you haven't read this book, then I suggest you take a look. Definitely one of my all time favourites.

8. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

deleted

9. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Heinlein's Jubal Harshaw.