A Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by spklvr, Aug 22, 2011.

1. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I'm in the middle of Clash of Kings and won't hesitate to start Storm of Swords but I already understand what you're saying. Stories and stories splice towards different roads and those new roads split into more stories. Not to generalize but speaking as a fantasy writer myself, this is a problem I see fantasy writers face. They're dealing with a whole new world they created and want to squeeze out every last detail from this world. The problem is it just gets bigger and bigger that it becomes counter productive for the entertainment of a novel.

I've read Martin saying that Song of Ice and Fire was a big story that he needed to separate Feast for Crows and Dance for Dragons to two books rather than the originally planned one, I ignored all consequences relating to that statement. And I'm not forming an opinion on your post alone, I'm still going to read them, but I can see where you're coming from, because I've seen this happen before.

2. Phoenix001

Phoenix001 New Member

I agree, in large part, with what everyone else is saying.

The past is VERY important in this book, and it seems like the most exciting events happened before the story begins. The story itself is more of a darker, less 'noble' story.

Don't worry too much about the names and places, they'll repeat the more important ones several times.

Some parts are boring and don't make sense in the story, but as you get into Clash of Kings it ALL comes together. I also found some of the best characters I've ever seen in Tyrion, mainly, and Daenarys. It's a great series. Stick with it.

3. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Hey, so, I haven't read the GoT books yet, but I watched the TV show - what's the name of the woman who shows up in the last three episodes, who tries to rob Bran in the woods and becomes the Starks' prisoner, or something? I completely forgot, and it's been bugging the crap out of me. IMDB isn't any help.

I will get around to reading this series, though, eventually. Then I can come hang with you cool kids in this thread.

4. Protar

Protar Active Member

I'd definitely recommend going through with it. It's very intricate and I don't think I understood all that was going on the first time around. It really has it all. Fighting, Lesbians, complex plots. A word of warning though. You will come to hate Bran chapters.

5. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

I think her name is Osha.

I thought I was the only one. I have an OCD need to read every chapter in order and I never skip, so whenever Bran Chapters come up, I get turned off for a couple of days and then force myself to trudge through reading it, and I read a couple chapters straight, then when a Bran Chapter comes up, I again wait a couple days. So boring.

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Aww, seriously? I love Bran! I even made a stuffed animal at Build-a-Bear and named it after him.

7. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

Thanks, BallerGamer :)

I might be able to go to the bookstore this weekend, so I shall definitely pick it up. Like I said, I've only seen the TV show, but I absolutely love all the characters and don't wanna wait 'til next season. Also I don't have HBO anymore. Poo.

8. SirForPresident

SirForPresident New Member

I too am just starting out on the Game of Thrones books, at the moment I'm a little over half, but there is still plenty to go. I agree that at the beginning, you can be overwhelmed with places, people, and details, but later on it all starts to make sense, and you seem to remember each place a little better.

These books really captured my attention, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

9. Mobhit

Mobhit New Member

Whoa Whoa Whoa.... Let the man Finish GoT, Clash, and Feast before bring Kevan into the Situation!! LOL

Oh Snap that's awesome, I like Bran as well!

1 person likes this.
  10. JohnKPatterson

JohnKPatterson New Member

I'm probably going to compare "A Song of Ice and Fire" to Tolstoy's "War and Peace" when it's done. One of the classics of literature, and needing a reader who is in it for the long haul. Of course, Martin could have beefed up his dramatic energy in "A Feast for Crows," but he knows what he's doing, and the result as a whole is spectacular. I also have the HBO series saved on my DVR, and am roughly a hundred pages into "A Dance With Dragons".

11. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Okay, I am into it now. Glad I stuck it out, though to be perfectly honest I still wish I could have at it with a red pen and send it back to Martin. To new readers, I think I'd suggest watching the series first. I tried to read the book, then watch the series until the point I reached in the book, but I ended up not reading and just watching instead. At the season one finale I'm all "MOOOORE!!!!" Then I realize season 2 isn't done yet, and I have to read the book. But now I know all the names, and I am actually interested because I care, which I didn't when I started. I'm buying Clash of Kings tomorrow.

12. CULLEN DORN

CULLEN DORN New Member

I have not read the book but have seen the series, which left me pining for more.
    I will admit at first there were far too many names, characters, and places thrown
    at one that it took a super-human effort to remember who was who and which was which.
    But all in all it eventually flows together as smoothly and uncompromisingly as did the Tudors.