1. Yitz

Yitz Member

A hidden gem I've found

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Yitz, Apr 6, 2009.

Greetings!

I'd just like to share something with you all that I've found to be extremely useful and enlightening.
    The podcast "Writing Tools" is well worth your while to look into and listen to, not only because of the content, but also because of the cost--nothing.
    Roy Peter Clark uses the cast to highlight tools from his book (Writing Tools), and the result is a wonderful lesson in every cast.
    The show highlights one writing tool per show, for example: "Leave Gold coins - reward your reader with high points", "Finding your Voice", and "Fear not the long sentence".
    He also gives instruction on word usage, use of the abstract, etc. His target audience may be journalists,
    but I have found every one of his podcasts to be perfectly suited to my own styles as well.
    Clark has his Ph.D. from the State University of New York and has coached
    several Pulitzer Prize winners, and has been in the writing business a long time. His style is "concise, pithy, [and] useful" to quote a review.
    I strongly encourage you to check this out...obviously, I cannot say enough about the podcast.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with podcasts, all you need to do is
    download and install iTunes, then search the iTunes store for "Writing Tools" and subscribe to it.
    You do not need an iPod to listen to the show; you can play it from your computer. If you do have an iPod you can
    of course upload all 30 shows to your iPod. Also, you can click here to got straight to the podcast.

I have listened to all his shows up to this point, and am about to listen to
    all of them again, and I may even buy the book...I need these tools in front of me all the time! Do check it out.

disclaimer:I am not affiliated with Roy Peter Clark or Poynter in any way.