1. Marc Arrows

Marc Arrows New Member

A humble introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Marc Arrows, Feb 17, 2017.

Greetings

The name "Marc Arrows" is a pseudonym I made up, it's a play on my real name that is somewhat similar. I live in Sweden, I work with logistics and transports so much of my time every day is spent listening to audiobooks as reading and driving is not the smartest thing you can do.

I have always liked both to read and write but have never really thought about any form of publication, mostly what I have written has been for myself but in recent times I have been able to draft up two stories that I really think are solid and are currently working on.

I have always wanted to write and I have always written in one form or another but many of my ideas have been placed on hold either because other things have come in the way or simply because I sometimes get easily distracted by other interests in my life, how I wish that there were more hours in the day then the standard 24 we are given, I blame the universe for this.

But this last year I got two ideas for two seperate stories that I knew would be a delight to write, the first one is something I will honestly have to do a complete re-write on for reasons I will explain soon but the second one was kicked off during a visit to Vietnam, I got an idea for a story on a topic I had been willing to write about for years but never gotten around to it, but as the idea struck I started to write, ordered coffee at the hotel, wrote some more, drank more coffee and continued to write. Thus my vacation was spent sitting and writing for several full days, from early morning to late evening simply because I wanted to see what would become of this story and when my vacation was at an end I left Vietnam with a handwritten book filled with notes, ideas and ca 20 000 words in story (rough count), my longest effort yet and I am still working on getting it finished. If I keep up the timetable I have set for myself I estimate the first draft will be ready before summer. The key point about this however is that I found out that I don't just like to write, I actually love it, time flied by as I immersed myself in the world of the story and it was like re-kindling a long lost passion of mine that was lost to me for a while as I stepped out of school-life into the busy adult world.

Writing a proper book has however always been an aspiration of mine, not to get it published but simply to write atleast one full book with a solid story through it "just because" and last year had had another idea for story that is "on-hold" for now simply because I'm to immersed in the one I am currently working on.

The reason the first book was placed on hold was simply because of a language problem I hit and I am hoping to rectify this by writing on and contributing to this forum. English is not my native language, I scored top-marks in school for it and I wanted to write my first book in english simply because then I could dump it on the world and not just in my country, but I hit a snag as much of what I wrote seemed to me as "simply not right", I couldn't get into the story as I did with this second one (that I'm writing in Swedish, I will translate it of course), I got the feeling of trying to accomplish a chore and many times what I wrote looked like a police-report and not a story.

In short that is my current situation, what else is there to tell?
    My favourite colour is blue, I live in southern Sweden, I like to travel, been to Denmark, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Austria, Japan (Tokyo and surronding areas), China (Beijing and Xian) and Vietnam (Saigon and Da-Lat being the longest stopping points). If you have any questions please ask.

Best wishes
    Marc Arrows

2. kikidee24

kikidee24 New Member

Nice to meet you, Marc!

I understand the struggle of getting distracted from writing... I started a novel almost ten years ago, and the first draft has been 'almost finished' for about four years... SO many distractions have kept me from finishing!

Wishing you the best of luck! See you around! :)

3. Whale Song

Whale Song New Member

Welcome, Marc!