1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Tab or Paragraph Formatting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by madhoca, Oct 9, 2010.

I can't believe I've used Word for so long now and I've not heard this (I guess it's because the computers I use are set to Turkish instructions).

I was preparing a manuscript when I noticed the submission guidelines said:
    Please indent the first line of paragraphs using a tab, or paragraph formatting (not spaces).

The manuscript at the moment has all the paragraphs, including the first, indented 5 spaces--as I usually do.

Um...now what?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Just do a global search and replace, replacing all occurrences of five spaces with tabs instead.

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    What are you asking? How to indent using the tab?

Using Microsoft Word, look at one of the bars at the top that looks like a little ruler or a timeline. There are two arrows; one at the bottom facing up, one at the top facing down. Drag the one facing down to 1.25. Next time you press the space bar to make a new paragraph, it should indent automatically. If it doesn't, go to the beginning of the paragraph and press tab, and it should do the same.

At least, that's how it's worked for me. I hope I answered your question...?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Better yet, replace all 5-space sequences with nothing. All your paragraphs are probably now flush with the left margin.

Now change your Normal text paragraph style. In Word 2007:

On the Home tab, right click on Normal in the Styles section and select Modify...
    At the bottom left of the dialog box, click Format and select Paragraph...
    In the Paragraph formatting dialogue, Indent section, select First line from the Special dropdown, and set the By value to 0.5"

You can also use this dialogue box to set paragraph style to double-spaced, with no additional spacing between paragraphs, for manuscripts.

In other versions of Word, you can do the same thing, but the navigation to get to the paragraph formatting dialog differs.

5. madhoca

Yes! I was hoping there was a way to do it quickly...thanks.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

doesn't your tab automatically indent .5" or 5 spaces?... it should, no matter what language it's set for...

if not, then just reset it for that and use the tab from now on, instead of having to hit the space bar 5 times every time you go to a new paragraph...

7. Cogito

Preferred method is to set the paragraph format instead of inserting tab characters though.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

enlighten me...

what's wrong with simply hitting the tab key when you go to a new paragraph?

9. Cogito

It's okay, but in an electronic submission, those tabs have to be filtered out. Also, if you want to view the manuscript in "magazine layout" (spacing between paragraphs, no first line indents), or export to another format without the first line indents, you can do it if you only change the paragraph formatting properties. If the tabs are "hard-wired" in, you don't have that flexibility.

The tabs are not properly part of the submission, so if you can leave them out by using the document properties, why not do so?

10. madhoca

All is clear now, thanks. I learn something every day :)