1. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

A language you don't master? Or a language nobody will read.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Thanshin, Mar 21, 2011.

English is my fifth language and the only one I learned by studying instead of living in the corresponding country. For that reason, among others, I don't master it.

However if I write in Spanish I lose an enormous amount of potential readers and opportunities like being reviewed in a forum such as this.

So, I end up depressed and not writing.

2. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

Are you sure there aren't any good Spanish language writing forums? Spanish is a huge language, if you include Central and South America...

3. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

I'm not sure, but my experience in many other disciplines has taught me that the internet works in English.

Also, while technically what they speak in Central and South America is Spanish, I wouldn't read nor want to write as they do.

Maybe I should ask Spanish-speakers in the forum about writing forums in Spanish.

4. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

On Joseph Conrad (from Wikipedia):

Perhaps your perceived weakness could be turned into a strength, too.

1 person likes this.
  5. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

Judging from your post, your English is not bad...

I would continue to study the language, if your ambition is to write in English and have a wide readership. Perhaps start with some short pieces. Experiment.

In the meantime, continue writing in Spanish too.

I know it's not easy. I speak several languages at a pretty decent level, but writing a book in i.e. Italian at the same level as a native speaker would be difficult. I wouldn't say impossible, because I've spent a lot of time there from a young age, but still...

Don't worry too much. Keep on writing. :)

6. Tesgah

Tesgah Member

I am from Norway and I write my stories in English, not necessarily because I am any better at English, but because I think it feels better. There are so many more ways to express yourself, and to me most of them just sound better than Norwegian. I know that I still have a lot to learn about the English language, but I am in no hurry and will learn as I write and read. The fact that the English market is much bigger is a bonus. In the end it comes down to what you like to write, Spanish or English.:)

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

Hehe, we shared the same thought! :)
    Why do you say its less possible being read in spanish? if you were supposed to get published, spanish is a bigger language than english, isn't it? I mean for number of people that speak it around the world. Only chinese would be bigger I think :) Im not sure if english or spanish is the second biggest language, but I get your point on the internet being in english. Who are you writing for? mostly for yourself, friends and family or do you have hopes of one day reaching out to a bigger audience? Because in that case spanish would be just as good if you ask me, but then I know nothing about the spanish readers. I'd say write in the language you feel you can express your thoughts, feelings and ideas in. By the way, your english looks good to me. :)

8. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

I would write it in Spanish, better that than a language you are not comfortable with, especially when you are up against a lot of very fluent english writers. You could always translate it later, but I would write in the most comfortable and speediest way possible to begin with. Spanish is a massive language and I'm sure there is an audience. However Great Britian publishes more books per person than anybody else in the world (bar the vatican city- but they count religious pamphlets in publishing texts).

9. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Well, inspired by the Joseph Conrad reference, I'll try to keep going in English.

Maybe the forced rethoric simplicity will help me avoid... superfluousness!

10. SeverinR

SeverinR Contributing Member

What ever language you write, you bring your unique writing style to
    the work.
    You might not write like others do in Spanish, but that can set you apart.
    If you write in English, it will reflect the different cultures you have studied or encountered.

I can speak words in:
    German(+some Dutch), Spainish, Greek, Japanese.

Its funny the way I think, I think in English, and if I get stuck trying to think of a word in another language that word from any other language could pop in, like it's English and every other language.

11. FictionAddict

FictionAddict Senior Member

That ^ was reassuring. Thank you.

I only write in English because my story is flowing better that way. Don't worry about wider market, or wider readership. When you get published, you can always have your book translated. What would be of Paulo Coelho (a Brazilian novelist) if his books weren't translated to 60 plus different languages? Portuguese is spoken by people in what? Three countries?