Tags:
  1. Randomer 720

Randomer 720 New Member

Im all new to this...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Randomer 720, Jan 2, 2007.

Hey, im not actually that new but most people would say that i am but in my opinion...
    Anywho, I start novels on word but never seem to get past the prologue. It's always to small even by my standards. After that dreadful performance I don't feel like continuing, it all halts at chapter 1 and just sits there taking up memory and space and gathering creative dust. I need help in Prologue creation and then actually the progression from that to chapter 1. I work mostly in fantasy and sci-fi fiction and maybe bits of romance if thats any help...

2. Robert

Robert Banned

Hi, and welcome to WF.

Good luck with your writing.

Cheers,
    Rob

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Is a prologue necessary?

Start with chapter 1. Start with something happening--something of interest to you and hopefully to a reader(s).

Consider outlining, or at least mapping out what you see happening in a story.

Maybe your idea(s) are not enough for a novel, but maybe just right for a short story?

Terry

4. Rueso

Rueso New Member

I often find that when I'm stuck, it's usually because I really don't have an overall point to the whole story, like a moral, a lesson or some type of fundamental question about life that I want the story to address when all is said and done.

It lacks premise, in other words. Every story has one.

The Matrix: Even though the storyline is all about a battle between artifical intelligence and humans, the premise addresses questions almost everyone will ask themselves at some point in their life: Why are we here? What's our purpose? Why do we feel like there is supposed to more to it?

Jurrasic Park: People vs. Dinosaurs. Run away. Don't become lunch. Pretty simple storyline. But the premise asks how far can man go with science and technology. At what point does man start to step on God's toes, so to speak?

I think once you find that premise within your idea things will really begin to flow.

5. Randomer 720

Randomer 720 New Member

It is necessary for most of my stories, take Eragon for example, it had to have a prologue in order for the rest of the story to be understandable, as does my own

6. Fortis

Fortis Member

Eragon didn't need a prolouge at all, it was all explained later on in the book.

Good prolouge's in books make sense when they are not there. A historical event could be good, or a very important day in your hero's life.

7. Randomer 720

Randomer 720 New Member

i thought it was necessary

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Randomer 720,

This may be way off as I have very little information to work from. Is it possible you have created an interesting world with a colorful and deep history, and think it is ready to showcase (thus the believed need for a prologue) but do not have a proper story yet formed to take place within that historical/world setting?

Sorry if I am off, but trying to kick start your creative side once again and get that writing back on the correct path.

Terry