1. maggiemonroe

maggiemonroe New Member

MTELs

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by maggiemonroe, Dec 8, 2007.

I'm studying for the Massachusetts Teacher Education Licensure exam, and the study book I have is a piece of *****. It's for the Secondary English exam and it's full of grammatical and punctuational errors, which is driving me nuts. But mostly it's just not organized right.

Now I know there's probably a small fraction of people here who even live in Massachusetts, but I thought it was worth a shot to ask if anyone knows of a good study book for the MTELs.

Thanks
    Maggie

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, I live in Massachusetts, but I'm not a teacher.

I did try googling MTEL study guide, and did get some hits, such as http://www.mo-media.com/mtel/. But I cannot speak for the quality of any of them.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

What book are you meant to be studying like?? We have just done, or are doing, Of Mice and Men and it is an immense story but the punctuatio and stuff are pathetic. Sorry I can't help ya, was just curious about the book.
    Heather

4. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

Unfortunately, if you are meant to study a text, then that book it is... Damn I hated High school english.

Of Mice and Men was a hard read for me, and I really didn't like it. I would have prefered 1984 or Animal Farm, and a few others I can't really think of except I, Robot by I Assimov, but I dare say that's over the head of my one time peers.

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I quite like Of Mice and Men actually just the writing is horrible. Then again, it was from 1930 something so the style is going to be different. The story I thought was excellent though and I admit a few tears at the end. :p

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The book she's looking for is a study guide for a licensing exam, not a specific work of literature. From the sound of it, she has one already, but the people who wrote it probably couldn't pass the exam themselves (i.e. horrid SPAG as well as disorganized structure).

On the other hand, I HAVE seen English teachers who would have difficulty constructing a coherent paragraph, so perhaps the standards for the exam are relatively lax.

Good luck, Maggie. Please let us know if you find a better study guide, and tell us when you ace the exam! :)

7. andycerrone

andycerrone New Member

The test is a joke. If you know what you're talking about, don't sweat it.