1. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

a lot vs alot

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Shandeh, Jun 27, 2013.

Spelling/grammar check in Google Docs is driving me batty. I have a Chromebook so I have no choice but to use Docs... but I'm starting to doubt myself.

Every time I use 'a lot' in my prose, Docs wants me to correct it to 'alot'. I was under the impression that 'alot' wasn't actually a word. The difficulty is that my little notebook is contradicting itself because the spell checker in the browser HATES 'alot'.

It leaves me alone on grammar for the most part, but 'a lot' vs 'alot' really seems to get its goat. I don't know why.

So basically, am I wrong, or is my computer wrong? And how can I shut it up? Does anyone else use Docs and know how to turn off the spellcheck? [I'm a pretty good speller, and what's a dictionary for anyway?]

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

There is only "a lot"; "alot" does not exist, so I don't see how the grammar check wants you to use it. As to the spelling error, it probably wants you to correct to "allot", which of course is entirely a different word.

3. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

That's what I thought, but my computer's throwing a fit at me over it. According to Docs spellcheck 'alot' is a word and it would rather that than 'a lot'... It's really irritating! The browser spellcheck and the Docs spellcheck aren't the same thing...

4. Rimuel

Rimuel New Member

I wonder....perhaps in the azure blue sky.
  5. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

There is no such word as "alot", your Docs spell and grammar check is faulty. My Microsoft spell and grammarcheck does not accept it, and it is not in any dictionary, either.

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Hummmm --- that is crazy. "alot" is not a word. As my high school English teacher said, if you want to use "alot" then you would also use "adog," "acat," "acup," "atelevision," etc. "Lot" is a noun, referring to a number of objects or people.

If "alot" is sneaking into the lexicon as an acceptable word, that is disturbing.

7. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Google tells you 'alot' is fine - have you tried googling it? Just make me snicker 'abit'

Does this mean you can't use MS Word if you buy a Chromebook? Hence you're stuck with Google docs (which is not 100% compatible with MS)... that's crap!

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's not a word, period...

9. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

Perhaps it was inadvertantly 'added' to the dictionary. Alot is the opposite of alittle, and as has been pointed out, doesn't exist.

So many times, treat spellcheckers with exteme caution - they don't know diddly.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

'Alot' became a word when someone drew a picture of a silly animal and called it "alot". But it doesn't mean a lot.

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Since it's Google Docs you are using, I think the question is whether Google Docs makes use of "popular" additions to its spellcheck function. It is an online application after all. Be that the case, tread with caution.

12. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

I think Docs does use "popular" spellings more than correct spellings... it whinges at me over other things too, it's just the a lot vs alot thing that drives me up the wall.

Far as I'm aware, .exe file extensions don't work on a Chromebook. The tech I talked to said I don't need an antivirus program, it's a bit like a Mac in that you can't write viruses for it or something along those lines. 99% of this thing's functions are online based, you can't even set up the computer without internet when you buy one [I had to use my phone as a wifi hotspot, we went out and got a wireless router the very next day!]. There's nowhere to put a disc in, so I can't install the MS Office we have [2007 I think?], and I haven't even tried to download anything off the net because I'm terrified of corrupting my computer. Chromebooks are fairly new to the market here in Aus so there aren't too many computer techs who know how to fix them yet.

I do like the feel of it, but its spelling checker drives me mad. Oh well, it's the only thing I don't like. I'm sure there's a way to turn it off. I'm a pretty good speller, so I don't really need the help.

13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That has to be a software glitch. Even if it accepts 'alot' as an OK spelling, why would it not accept 'a lot'?

14. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

It gives me the pale grey squiggly line [the Google Docs equivalent of the green line]... One of the VERY few grammar issues it complains about... it doesn't even mind reflexive pronouns, but it wants me to compound so many things that shouldn't be compounded.

15. maskedhero

maskedhero Active Member

I cry when I see this on papers. The many versions of cognates also drive me nuts.

16. Shandeh

Shandeh Active Member

It makes me sad that education has gone this far down the toilet. When the spelling and grammar check in a computer program will accept 'alot' over 'a lot' you know there's a problem...

17. W.A HAWK

W.A HAWK New Member

I hate to tell you this, but your tech don't know crap about tech. You can write a virus for any OS ever made. What do you think a corruption of the system is, that's right a virus pretty much.