A Major Loophole In the Law

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mugen shiyo, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Complaining about this would be legitimate, if we didn't get a vote that enables us to change any that law we want, provided other people agree.

Major corporations are just a convenient excuse: granted governments shouldn't be influenced by them (or NGOs, or charities, or pollsters, or anyone but the people, for that matter) but overall their power is massively exaggerated. If they really did make law, I can think of a few pieces of legislation that would never have been pased. The anti-smoking law in the UK would never have been passed, or regulations on advertising fast food on children's television, to name but two.

If you think something isn't quite right, you have two options: leave, or change it. You have the tools to do both.

2. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

Wait a minute? Didn’t Mugen shiyo say in another thread that he was in the Navy for a while?
    So in fact he had in the past swore allegiance so he can in no way be talking about himself and be telling the truth. Still I see no loophole or issue hear.

3. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Yes, I was in the Navy :) No, I meant the average citizen. Thinking about the Navy is what prompted the question, though. I was thinking how in the Navy we had to do things that sort of curb over some areas of the Constitution and place us in a society of martial laws and traditions (for lack of a better term), all who are in have to apply because they swore to the terms in the contract...though I don't know how that holds with draftees... And so I then thought, well I never agreed to uphold the nations laws directly (or so I thought. I did not know about the driver's license thing) Am I really obliged to follow them if I never directly swore to them?

Oh, not a forced declaration of anything. Rather, I was just wondering on our exact status as citizens sworn under the law and whether it was valid. An affirmation at 1 or whatever, even to me when I said it, sounds very confusing and bound to cause all sorts of problems but it was one of the only ways I had to elaborate on what I was trying to say. Seems like I confused more than elaborated though, lol.

Too true.

4. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

Oh my...

Well, what I say is hardly fact but see it like this. The government is supposed to rule the country, but the country needs money. The government does things like institute taxes and such but it's not enough. The government borrows money from the private sector. Has been doing so for a very long time. Not only our country, all countries. I doubt there is a country anywhere that is truly out of debt. I think countries are literally trading in debt. What happens when you owe the bank? What happens when a country owes a bank? You are either declared bankrupt or you start forking over collateral. What can the government fork over as collateral to the private sector?

In my opinion only, I think we are living in times where the economy has replaced the government as the functioning authority. Has done so for sometime now since the middle ages. They now simply come into the forefront instead of in the background.

5. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I'm coming back to this somewhat late. I suggest you read Jennifer Government by Maxx Barry. He's an Australian author (from Melbourne) and Jennifer Government is easily one of the most brilliant science-fiction/dystopian novels I've ever read. It's a pretty excellent setting and a pretty excellent story.

6. LaGs

LaGs Banned

I like Maxx Barry, he's a very good author. I read Syrup not that long ago.