1. _Ara_

_Ara_ Member

Napkins

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by _Ara_, Jan 20, 2014.

So I was cleaning on found a bunch of napkins and paper I've written all over. Bf thinks I'm weird when I do this because he feels that I should either wait or write on my phone so I could be organized, but I feel that I remember things better when I write out something physically. Something like that happen to you? I'm just curious cause I found this funny when I was sorting through my mess of thoughts on the floor . :)

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm a notebook nut. I've got a box full of them. I'm always writing, jotting and observing things on the go.
    I never wait till I get to a computer and I never worry about whether or not I'll use any of these broken observations or sentences it's just good practice. Let's me know I'm a writer where ever I am, whatever I'm doing. ;)

3. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

My mom compiled a pile ( :p) of old paper from my old room: 5kg of paper, from notebooks to napkins, with all sorts of writing, back from my early teens to when I started living on my own. And that's just the unsorted pile... I doubt that I'm ever gonna find the time to actually look through it, but I can't just tell her to burn it or recycle it...
    :)

4. _Ara_

_Ara_ Member

lmao that is awesome right there... Sadly I lost notebooks with random personal stories of myself or napkins but now living on my own.... I have them stuffed in purses or books bags or all of the floor or the desk. Sometimes I find my own bf's notes on them since they were conveniently there for the taking.

5. Burlbird

You can always try scanning them all and keep them on a memory stick ;)

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Wait? No. If your boyfriend's complaint is that he's tired of living in a snowdrift of scraps of paper and he can't clean up the place because he might throw out one of your ideas, and if it's a shared home, I'd agree that you should keep those napkins in a specific place. But if he just doesn't like the idea of you using scraps of paper, he can deal.

(Edited to add: I realize that I'm conjuring up a whole scenario here; I'm not saying that you're doing any of that. I've lived with hoarders, so these scenarios appear full-blown in my mind even when there's no evidence for them.)

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I can relate to the phenomenon of writing it making it stick in your memory. When I was at DLI learning Russian, it was my method of study that many of the other students didn't grok at all. I would copy and recopy my lists of new vocabulary to learn (new list given to us every single day, M-F) and that's what would make it stick for me. Everyone had their own thing, most to include ungodly amounts of flashcards. I just had my notebooks where I silently wrote and rewrote the words in cyrillic script along with the translations in English. I graduated magna cum laude. ;)

8. Burlbird

@ChickenFreak I also wanted to suggest to her ditching the control-freak boyfriend :D

Mckk likes this.
  9. _Ara_

_Ara_ Member

No, no i keep the boyfriend. We share the computer desk so it's just all over the desk. Also, it's just in bags and on desks. :) It's not a hoarding deal. We are so no where close to hoarding in our home. We just a bed and electronics lol. Plus, my mom and grams made bf and I scared in becoming them since they are "clean" hoarders that makes you claustrophobic but at least you won't find dead critters cause they always keep things cleaned.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I write stuff down all over on all sorts of scraps of paper, notebooks, post-its, and occasionally napkins.

Then I misplace important notes, like an appointment, or I am overwhelmed by all the scraps and never refer back to them but can't toss them because it might be something important.

I've been working hard to break the habit and I'm of two minds regarding the OP. Yes, writing it down when it comes to ideas for my novels does reinforce my memory. So if that's all you are doing, meh, why not.

But if you are keeping scraps of paper for more than a few months without ever going back to look at them, that should tell you something.

11. _Ara_

_Ara_ Member

I did that when I was teaching myself cursive in the 1st grade and ever since had the bad/good habit of doing that. Bad cause it takes forever to learn since I write almost everything. Good, since well I'll retain the info. Thinking about it that's how i'm self-teaching myself slowly on working with Carbon fiber to work effectively with my bf who has pretty much mastered it :)

p.s I know that was random it was just on my mind.

12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It's a pretty well accepted paradigm that memory is much more complex than just a big squishy hard-drive where every kind of sensory input gets written in the same way. It's not like that at all. It doesn't surprise in the least that a physical activity like writing or manipulating a substance by hand would have an augmentative effect on remembering or learning something. :)

_Ara_ likes this.
  13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The neuroscience agrees with you, Wreybies.

14. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

I used to write and draw on the backs of receipts if I was low on paper in the most extreme cases. Thankfully, though, my stepmom took notice of my passion, and now I have one backpack, a box, and the floor at the foot of my bed full of notebooks. :D I really do have a pigsty in my room full of writings of mine.:oops:

15. _Ara_

_Ara_ Member

No, I can't keep mine on the floor... My cats are the most adorable and annoying things ever... They will paw at it and wrinkle them into balls for their own enjoyment or hide my writing from me. Imagine this big ball of fluff caught in the act with paper in its small mouth looking at you like "What? Leave me alone. I do what I want." Doesn't help when the ring leader looks like Garfield.

16. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

I know. I really have to do something about that mess on the floor. It's a bad habit of mine. I am a really disorganized person.

17. _Ara_

_Ara_ Member

That's why I stuff mine in places. :) Only place I'm bad about is the desk. Can't help it.