1. Jon Deavers

Jon Deavers New Member

Street names in prose

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Jon Deavers, Dec 23, 2012.

Need some help from the syntax gurus out there.

I'm basing a story in a near-future DC and the neighborhoods in which characters live are integral to the story. I want to ground the setting with real-world street names but I'm wondering the best way to write the street names. A lot of DC's streets are a letter, type of avenue, and direction. This confused me when I started typing it into the word processor.

Any advice on how to write out street names? Example I'm wrestling with currently is N Street North West. In an address this would look like:

12345 N St NW
    Washington, DC 01234

Thanks for the help!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...it depends in part on how you are using the addresses... give us a sample of a sentence/paragraph where you do so...

3. Jon Deavers

Jon Deavers New Member

Here's the sentence in question. At first I thought it was a no-brainer, just write the words out and voila, but it looks a little weird to me still. Could be just because the name of the street is a letter or maybe I'm not sure what to capitalize and what not to. Either way I thought it was worth double-checking.

"The town-homes of N Street Northwest were once symbols of having achieved success in the social and professional circles of the capital city."

Thanks mammamaia!

4. mammamaia

it's ok as is, but town homes is not a hyphenate... the jury is still out on whether it should be a single word or two separate ones...

for reassurance re street name spelling:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=Tw#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&tbo=d&site=webhp&q=washington+n+street+northwest&oq=washington+n+street+northwest&gs_l=hp.3..0i8j0i8i30l2j0i8i10i30.1688.9057.0.9746.29.21.0.8.8.0.392.3461.3j13j3j2.21.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.6TAzTI4UzdI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.cGE&fp=8e22984df9142133&bpcl=40096503&biw=688&bih=374

5. Jon Deavers

Jon Deavers New Member

Wow, that's funny. I had it as a single word in my .doc and when I pasted it in the forum it gave me a spell check error. Guess I'll go with two words.

Thanks again!

6. philaz

philaz New Member

I would write them the same way you would when sending a letter: N. St. NW.

7. mammamaia

to do it that way, 'N' would not have a period after it, since it's not an abbreviation of anything, only a letter of the alphabet... and NW wouldn't have a period, either...